LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

MadDog's Combine Recap- Offense

Really enjoyed watching every moment of the combine coverage the past few days. Glad NFL Network is showing more on-field action than previous years. Not nearly enough to satisfy me, but baby steps! For those who were busy with other events in their life, and did not get a chance to watch the offense in motion, here is what I have seen this week on offense:

QB- Really feel this has position has settled out over the past month. This is a 2 QB draft, with Goff and Wentz jockeying to be the top guy selected. I thought the winner today was Wentz. Ran faster, jumped better, and threw the ball a bit better. The ball snaps off his throws in a different way than the other QBs I saw today. Has the measurables, intelligence, and desire that the Browns have to consider at number 2. I was concerned that Goff would look out of place today, outshined by Wentz. However, he held his own. He ran faster than I expected, and threw the ball well. I still believe that he lacks that top end arm strength, but his intermediate throws are tremendous. Good day for him. I think he is a prime candidate to be the 7th pick in the NFL Draft. To me, Goff offers the highest floor of all the QBs (he is going to be a productive starter in the NFL). However, it is obvious that Wentz has the higher ceiling, and the weather in Cleveland should push the Browns to pick the guy with much larger hands in Wentz. I know it sounds silly, but 9" hands out here in the November, December, January Ohio conditions are a potential problem for Goff. The other QBs looked like backups to me. Lynch has tremendous upside, but is a project that needs at least 2 years. The best of the rest: Driskell and Prescott. Very disappointed in the way some of the guys threw the ball. Boykins, Stave, Sudfeld, Kessler....what a mess!!!

RB- If this draft is a 2-QB draft, then I will say this is a one RB draft as well. It is Elliott and guys way behind in the rearview mirror. Elliott's forty time, and other measurables showed why he is going to be a hot commodity on draft Thursday for a team that needs RB help. Just like Gurley made a huge impact for the Rams, expect Elliott to do the same for some team drafting between 10-14. Count me as not surprised by Derrick Henry's workout. He was expected to put up shocking numbers for a guy close to 250, and he did. Fast 40 time, excellent explosion in the vertical and long jumps. For me, the only numbers I wanted to see were the timed change of direction drills (the cone and short shuttle times). And, as expected, he struggled. For a team that needs a one-cut, or straight-ahead runner, he is a good fit. He is strong, fast and can break the big one. But, if you need him to make tacklers miss, forget about it. Very little shiftiness. Stiff, straightline speed and power. The second-tier RBs after Elliott had a solid weekend. Paul Perkins ran well, as did Alex Collins and Kenneth Dixon. Dixon had quick change of direction numbers, and keeps building on the momentum of a strong Senior Bowl week. Two local college boys, Daniel Lasco of Cal and Tyler Ervin of San Jose State did very well, and will cause scouts and GMs to go back to game footage to see how they can incorporate them into their offenses. Really have to look more at Keith Marshall to see what is there in Georgia games. We all know he is a monster athlete after this weekend.

WR- After Combine week, my top WRs have not change...at all. Even though Corey Coleman did not run, he had a 40+" vertical, and superb long jump, showing explosion. My number two, Josh Doctson, had the best weekend of the WRs. First, he ran a 4.50, which was a solid time. He then jumped out of the building with a 41" vertical, had a huge long jump, and snatched everything his way in the drills. His hands are outstanding. Not sure why he is constantly overlooked. Guy killed the competition last year. My number three, Laquon Treadwell, did not run, but did look nice in drills, showing an NFL body, and excellent hands. At number four, Sterling Shepard was right there with Doctson as the best all-around performer. Timed in a 4.48, had the best lifts at 20, best vertical at 41", and caught everything in sight. Just like Kenneth Dixon, he continues to check the boxes, just like Lockett did last year. My number five, Fuller, has blaze like the sun. Ran the second fastest 40 of the week, and showed pretty decent hands, which are small and tend to drop a lot of balls. At number six, Braxton Miller did not run the 40 nearly as fast as I thought, but he killed all the change of direction drills (3 cone and shuttle). So quick. I have been critical of Pitt's Tyler Boyd this offseason, and his combine was a mixed bag. Ran a 4.58, which is too slow, jumped only 34", and lifted only 11 times, but the guy has great hands. Completely natural snatching the ball in his sleep. My favorite tall WR had a solid week in Keyarris Garrett. At 6'3', 220 pounds, he ran a 4.53, has 34 1/2" arms, jumped 36.5" inches. and a big long jump. Good showing for him. Finally, I have to go back and take a longer look Ricardo Louis, who stole the show for much of the day. He is big, fast and explosive. I just didn't see that much of that athleticism in games. Honorable mention goes to Tajae Sharpe who looked great on the field today. Great hands, smooth running.

TE- Honestly, this group is a hot mess. Hunter Henry is the likely number one TE, but decided not to run, was fairly sloppy in a number of routes he ran, and just didn't stand out as the man. Jerell Adams is my number two, and ran fast, but didn't look exceptional in field drills. Just kind of blended in. Austin Hooper ran in the 4.7s, which is not bad for a TE. He caught the ball pretty well. Just doesn't look explosive on the field. Nick Vannett, my number three, decided not to run, and had mediocre timed events/lifting/jumping sessions. My favorite guy of the day, David Morgan II looked sharp on the field, smart, and ran good routes. The problem is that he ran north of 5.00. Yikes!!! Hot mess.

OL- I always save the best for last, the big uglies. Should be no surprise that Jason Spriggs emerged as a combine star. Fast, strong, nimble. Excellent athlete. He is currently my fourth best OT in this draft. I have swallowed a bitter pill and leapfrogged Laremy Tunsil over Ronnie Stanley on my OT board. Tunsil did not run, but his on the field drills were sparkling. He moves differently than other guys, and it is really obvious to see. Meanwhile, Stanley posted a disappointing forty time (did not break 5.20), and his other measurables (3 cone and shuttle times) were not very good for a guy considered a top level talent. On the field, he looked pretty good, but not in Tunsil's league. I thought this combine was a disappointment for him. Meanwhile, Jake Conklin capitalized on the weekend, and was excellent. He ran a 5.00, measured out at 6'6", 308, with 35 inch arms. Looked good in drills. I think he showed enough to maybe stay at LT in the NFL. A couple of lesser known linemen from UCLA, Caleb Benenoch and Jake Brendel, looked terrific in the 40 as well as other events. Will need to take a deeper look at these two players. Really wanted to solidify Ryan Kelly as my number one center. Case closed. Ran a 5.03, and competed well in other events. Looked natural on the field in drills. Well-done. Same can be said for Cody Whitehair, who should be the first interior OL off the board. He is just a pro already, running a 5.08, and quick 3-cone drill time. Plug and play Day One starter.

There is so many more players to review that this barely scratches the surface. Hope you had as much fun watching it as much as I did! Now, back to watching De'Runnya Wilson run the 40 yards again.
Thanks for the writeup
[ Edited by Cencal49er on Feb 28, 2016 at 1:13 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, Mad.
Thanks Mad, your analysis of RB Henry is perfect. Are we looking at another Trent Richardson?
MD, any thoughts on Trevor Davis's showing?
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Thanks Mad, your analysis of RB Henry is perfect. Are we looking at another Trent Richardson?

I don't think so. I believe Henry actually likes football. I know it sounds weird but there are some guys that play football that don't really enjoy the profession. That catches up with most people eventually.
great write up!!

What are your thoughts on Christian Westerman?
Maddog you are a beast.
Ehy Maddog,
I have two questions for you.

Do you rule out that Driskel can become a solid starter in this League? Apart from Goff an Wentz you defined the others QBs like back-up.

You are not very high about Tigh End class.

I really Like Higbee from Westeern Kentucky. I see him as a very good player. What is your take?
Great recap

Nice..
MadDog, Do you think Goff can come in and play from day 1? Also assuming that either Wentz or Goff can be had at #7. What do you think should be done with Colin K?
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Really liked Doctson, watching him reminded me so much of Crabtree.

Coleman
Doctson
Fuller
Are my 3 favorite WR.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
MD, any thoughts on Trevor Davis's showing?

Davis cleaned up. Top five for WR's in number of important measured drills. Really great job. On the flip side, Lawler was a disaster yesterday. Needs to rebound at his Pro-Day.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
MadDog, Do you think Goff can come in and play from day 1? Also assuming that either Wentz or Goff can be had at #7. What do you think should be done with Colin K?

Can Goff play right away? Not sure his footwork will be sound by then (he played in the shotgun), but by midseason he should be starting.

As for CK, I think a new start would be wise for all parties under a new team.
Share 49ersWebzone