There are 174 users in the forums

trade Kaepernick and pick #7 to Cleveland for Pick 2 (assuming Goff is on the board)

Originally posted by Since07:
How about trading our 2nd and Kaepernick for the browns next yrs 1st?

I like that idea a lot, but I don't think the Browns would make that trade because I think they'll want Wentz and next year's 1st round pick for one of the worst teams in the league is worth a lot more than our 2nd round pick this year. That's a potential top 3 pick next year which could be worth way more than the #7 pick this year. Myles Garrett, Deshaun Watson, and Leonard Fournette are better than anyone in this year's draft class in my opinion.

I would consider trading the 7th overall pick and Kaepernick for their first round pick next year (partially because I think Kaepernick is worth less than nothing and the Browns were the worst team in football this year). I still don't think they'd do it because Wentz could be the BPA at 2 and I think they'll want to draft him.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Feb 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by midrdan:
A more realistic trade:

49ers send Kap, their 3rd rounder and their 5th rounder to Cleveland for Cleveland's 2nd round pick.

Lol that's not even worth it. SF isnt giving up picks to trade Kap.

This. I'd happily take CLE or HOU 3rd round pick if they are truly set on moving him. Anything less is not worth it, IMO. He has no leverage and Gabbert has a very good shot at beating him out right for the starting spot anyways. Combine that with the attitude each are going into the offseason with and I'd say the ball is more in our court than his.

I'd be a little hesitant to give him up for a 3rd as well...he plays the most important position in football and is still young. Bradford got a 2nd and 4th for Foles and a 5th, plus reported some team was willing to give a late 1st for him and he hadn't done squad in the NFL.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

I like that idea a lot, but I don't think the Browns would make that trade because I think they'll want Wentz and next year's 1st round pick for one of the worst teams in the league is worth a lot more than our 2nd round pick this year. That's a potential top 3 pick next year which could be worth way more than the #7 pick this year. Myles Garrett, Deshaun Watson, and Leonard Fournette are better than anyone in this year's draft class in my opinion.

I would consider trading the 7th overall pick and Kaepernick for their first round pick next year (partially because I think Kaepernick is worth less than nothing and the Browns were the worst team in football this year). I still don't think they'd do it because Wentz could be the BPA at 2 and I think they'll want to draft him.

Hell no! If Baalke does this he should be fired...I'm sorry but that would be horrible

Here's our starting QB who's won playoff games and made it to the SB AND our 7th overall pick in hopes that you play worse then you played this year awful.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 28, 2016 at 9:37 AM ]
I don't think it's really that lopsided. It's up to whether Huey prefers Kaep over Wentz, Goff, Bosa, or Tunsil.

The trade value chart has been irrelevant since the rookie cap was implemented.
Originally posted by midrdan:
A more realistic trade:

49ers send Kap, their 3rd rounder and their 5th rounder to Cleveland for Cleveland's 2nd round pick.

Lol that's not even worth it. SF isnt giving up picks to trade Kap.

This. I'd happily take CLE or HOU 3rd round pick if they are truly set on moving him. Anything less is not worth it, IMO. He has no leverage and Gabbert has a very good shot at beating him out right for the starting spot anyways. Combine that with the attitude each are going into the offseason with and I'd say the ball is more in our court than his.

I'd be a little hesitant to give him up for a 3rd as well...he plays the most important position in football and is still young. Bradford got a 2nd and 4th for Foles and a 5th, plus reported some team was willing to give a late 1st for him and he hadn't done squad in the NFL.

That's a good point but I think it would be HOU's 2nd, I doubt CLE parts ways with that early pick which is essentially another 1st this year. The difference between Houston's 2nd and the Browns 3rd is about 15 spots I believe

Hell no! If Baalke does this he should be fired...I'm sorry but that would be horrible

I'd take any of those 3 players I listed way before anyone who will be available at 7 including Jared Goff. There's no guarantee that the Browns finish as one of the bottom 3 teams in the league, but they were the worst team in football this year and we'd also be getting rid of Kaepernick's contract and freeing up $13.4 million which can be rolled over to next year's cap. It's a bad trade if you think Kaepernick is still worth something to other teams, but a good trade if we'd be sitting him on the bench all year or giving up picks to get rid of him.

Edit: I'd be rooting the Browns play poorly next year. I don't expect the 49ers to finish with a top 3 pick regardless of who starts at QB. The first round pick we give up likely won't impact our record very much in 2016, but if we get one of the 3 players I mentioned, that could change our franchise. Watson is a better QB prospect than anyone this year, Garrett is miles ahead of any pass rusher coming out this year, and Fournette is the best RB prospect in a long time.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Feb 28, 2016 at 9:41 AM ]
That's a good point but I think it would be HOU's 2nd, I doubt CLE parts ways with that early pick which is essentially another 1st this year. The difference between Houston's 2nd and the Browns 3rd is about 15 spots I believe

A mid-3rd round pick? Hmm. I would probably say no.

Why do you doubt that? They haven't had a QB in Celevand for god knows how long and Hue was a big fan of him. We're not trading away a DL player were looking at trading a QB in a year when there isn't much in FA and IMO there aren't any day one starters in the draft.

I wouldn't take a trade for anything less than a 2nd round pick...Kap has no leverage and we have plenty of cap space to keep him on the team even as a backup for a year.

How does that help the 49ers now? Because that doesn't help the team in any way, shape, or form. The team needs starters NOW.. If that trade was to happen, That would be the worst trade in history lol.

I'd take any of those 3 players I listed way before anyone who will be available at 7 including Jared Goff. There's no guarantee that the Browns finish as one of the bottom 3 teams in the league, but they were the worst team in football this year and we'd also be getting rid of Kaepernick's contract and freeing up $13.4 million which can be rolled over to next year's cap. It's a bad trade if you think Kaepernick is still worth something to other teams, but a good trade if we'd be sitting him on the bench all year or giving up picks to get rid of him.

Edit: I'd be rooting the Browns play poorly next year. I don't expect the 49ers to finish with a top 3 pick regardless of who starts at QB. The first round pick we give up likely won't impact our record very much in 2016, but if we get one of the 3 players I mentioned, that could change our franchise. Watson is a better QB prospect than anyone this year, Garrett is miles ahead of any pass rusher coming out this year, and Fournette is the best RB prospect in a long time.

Baalke needs to fix the team now his job isn't exactly safe...he's not trading away a top 10 pick in hopes that he will get a better pick next season not happening...horrible horrible horrible idea. Also you have not idea if those players you meantioned will play awful or get injured next year, we do know who's healthy and ready to play this year. I'm not giving up picks to trade Kap lol.

Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

How does that help the 49ers now? Because that doesn't help the team in any way, shape, or form. The team needs starters NOW.. If that trade was to happen, That would be the worst trade in history lol.

Exactly!!!!

Why do we need starters now? The team is rebuilding and won't make the playoffs for at least another couple seasons.

And the $13.4 million we free up from trading Kaepernick can be spent on starters now so it's a moot point. Drafting Goff or Wentz wouldn't help the 49ers now, but plenty of people are on board with that. If that trade nets us Deshaun Watson or Myles Garrett next year, it's a fantastic trade.

Giving up picks to get rid of him? That isn't going to happen, is it.

We aren't going to know if he will be sitting on the bench all year. We don't know if the new coaching staff can turn him around. We aren't going to know if Gabbert gets injured or just is unable to perform to the required standard.

Our cap position means we don't have to cut or trade him. And trading him for a future pick would be foolishness right now, in my opinion.

By the way, just explain to me how the Browns' 1st round pick next year (an indeterminate pick right now) can be worth "a lot more" than our 2nd round pick this year? At best, I would suggest that the two picks are fairly equivalent, the '17 pick being a year off providing any value at all.

Why do we need starters now? The team is rebuilding and won't make the playoffs for at least another couple seasons.

And the $13.4 million we free up from trading Kaepernick can be spent on starters now so it's a moot point. Drafting Goff or Wentz wouldn't help the 49ers now, but plenty of people are on board with that. If that trade nets us Deshaun Watson or Myles Garrett next year, it's a fantastic trade.

The team needs starters now because they are trying to win. Rebuilding yes but you just don't dump #7 pick and trade it for next year's Clev pick #1 and hope they go 0-16. You can still trade Kap without giving up the teams pick unless Clev want to swap their #3 for #7 with Kap..

Why do you doubt that? They haven't had a QB in Celevand for god knows how long and Hue was a big fan of him. We're not trading away a DL player were looking at trading a QB in a year when there isn't much in FA and IMO there aren't any day one starters in the draft.

I wouldn't take a trade for anything less than a 2nd round pick...Kap has no leverage and we have plenty of cap space to keep him on the team even as a backup for a year.

He was a big fan of his in 2011, nothing that I have seen recently tells me his interest is any bigger than Bill O'Brian's right now. He is a QB that needs a lot of work. He has a solid resume going for him but two straight years of nothing special. You keep mentioning Bradford's trade but that has no bearing on Kap, IMO because the Rams traded a starting QB, a 4th and future 2nd, for a starting QB and a 5th. A future 2nd holds way less value than a current. I think a current 3rd by Cleveland, which is a top 70 pick is enough value for a decling QB that needs work.
Share 49ersWebzone