LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

If we don't draft a QB @ 7, which second tier QB do you want?

If we don't draft a QB @ 7, which second tier QB do you want?

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Would love to see us take Dak.
I'm not a huge fan of Prescott just because I've soured on the guys who run a lot after the Kap situation :(

However you can't argue with his growth as a passer and I'd certainly be ok if we drafted him 3rd/4th round and gave him a chance to grow more behind whoever our starter will be this year.

The reason I like Goff the most in this class is because to me he has the least hard to fix flaws. Things like weight can be easily fixed. Pocket presence/awareness, leadership, poise under pressure, mental understanding of the game, accuracy are really tough to fix if you don't have them already. Accuracy is probably the easiest to fix since you can work on improving your mechanics(but as we saw with Kap it's not an easy process to get those mechanics to stick when things break down)

Goff already has those strengths. I will gladly take small hands, light weight and few other weaknesses he has which imo are more an attribute to him tryign to do too much with a less than stellar cast around him.

Back to Prescott I do like that he's shown growth and sounds like he has some of those other intangibles which should allow him to grow in the NFL with proper coaching and his style is a fit with Chip. i would also hope that while he ran a lot because he's not getting ridiculous YPC like Kap did in college that maybe it's easier for him to not resort to running the ball so quickly. It's tough to blame Kap for running when he was averaging like 7 YPC in college or setting NFL records rushing the ball.

Unfortunately the hype train seems to be leaving the station with Prescott and I think 2nd round is too early for him.
Prescott, Hogan, Kessler. Probably in that order.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
I'm not a huge fan of Prescott just because I've soured on the guys who run a lot after the Kap situation :(

However you can't argue with his growth as a passer and I'd certainly be ok if we drafted him 3rd/4th round and gave him a chance to grow more behind whoever our starter will be this year.

The reason I like Goff the most in this class is because to me he has the least hard to fix flaws. Things like weight can be easily fixed. Pocket presence/awareness, leadership, poise under pressure, mental understanding of the game, accuracy are really tough to fix if you don't have them already. Accuracy is probably the easiest to fix since you can work on improving your mechanics(but as we saw with Kap it's not an easy process to get those mechanics to stick when things break down)

Goff already has those strengths. I will gladly take small hands, light weight and few other weaknesses he has which imo are more an attribute to him tryign to do too much with a less than stellar cast around him.

Back to Prescott I do like that he's shown growth and sounds like he has some of those other intangibles which should allow him to grow in the NFL with proper coaching and his style is a fit with Chip. i would also hope that while he ran a lot because he's not getting ridiculous YPC like Kap did in college that maybe it's easier for him to not resort to running the ball so quickly. It's tough to blame Kap for running when he was averaging like 7 YPC in college or setting NFL records rushing the ball.

Unfortunately the hype train seems to be leaving the station with Prescott and I think 2nd round is too early for him.

That may be true. But that will always be the case with QBs. Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Prescott, Cook, etc. All of them will get pushed higher simply because they play the most vital position in the game. That, combined with a QB class that doesn't have any elite prospects, will make teams eager to jump on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round when they are allowed more time to sit and learn (compared to their 1st round counterparts).
Originally posted by genus49:

In terms of comparing them as prospects:

Arm Strength-Kaepernick Kaepernick has a cannon
Accuracy-Prescott A year ago, this wouldn't be true but he has come a long way in his touch and ball placement
Speed-Kaepernick Kaepernick is a flat out rocket in the open field
Height-Kaepernick Kaepernick is 6'4", Prescott is 6'2"
Build-Prescott Kaepernick is a bit top heavy, Prescott is built like a RB from top to bottom, very durable.
Release-Prescott He throws with a much quicker, more compact motion.
Leadership-Prescott Very vocal leader, great locker room guy, the type to rally a team together.
Work Ethic-Tie Both are very hard workers, grinder types. At age 22, Dak already has his Master's. He has clearly been
putting in the work to improve his passing skills.

The biggest improvement I saw from Prescott this year is that he was much more consistent in stepping up in the pocket or moving laterally while keeping his eyes downfield. He was under pressure regularly because of the OL deficiencies but he generally remained poised and patient waiting for a receiver to get open. In past years he would have taken off at the first sign of pressure so this was a huge step forwards for him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:51 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In terms of comparing them as prospects:

Arm Strength-Kaepernick Kaepernick has a cannon
Accuracy-Prescott A year ago, this wouldn't be true but he has come a long way in his touch and ball placement
Speed-Kaepernick Kaepernick is a flat out rocket in the open field
Height-Kaepernick Kaepernick is 6'4", Prescott is 6'2"
Build-Prescott Kaepernick is a bit top heavy, Prescott is built like a RB from top to bottom, very durable.
Release-Prescott He throws with a much quicker, more compact motion.
Leadership-Prescott Very vocal leader, great locker room guy, the type to rally a team together.
Work Ethic-Tie Both are very hard workers, grinder types. At age 22, Dak already has his Master's. He has clearly been
putting in the work to improve his passing skills.

The biggest improvement I saw from Prescott this year is that he was much more consistent in stepping up in the pocket or moving laterally while keeping his eyes downfield. He was under pressure regularly because of the OL deficiencies but he generally remained poised and patient waiting for a receiver to get open. In past years he would have taken off at the first sign of pressure so this was a huge step forwards for him.

I think this is one guy who has a chance to ultimately be the top QB of this class in the next 3-4 years. If he's put on a team that will allow him to sit for at least one year, he has all the tools to be a great signal caller.
"That's a waste of time," Greg Cosell of NFL Films told Satuday Down South. "The problem is I don't want to rip Tim Tebow, but Tim Tebow can't throw. This kid can throw. It's as simple as that. He gets the comparison because of Dan Mullen. That's the reason."

When watching Prescott reach back and fire, Cosell doesn't see Tebow. Instead, he sees a former six-time Pro Bowler with a Super Bowl appearance under his belt.

"He had spotty-type similarities to Donovan McNabb," said Cosell. "I thought the throwing motion was similar. He looks like McNabb. Some will see similarities to Brett Hundley. I believe Prescott is a better prospect because of his pocket comfort and overall throwing ability."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/day-1-2016-nfl-combine/
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for SportOvaFilmTV.
Dak
in light of Kaps trade request, I guess this thread is pointless because we will almost certainly be taking a QB @ 7
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jwjr49er:
in light of Kaps trade request, I guess this thread is pointless because we will almost certainly be taking a QB @ 7

If Baalke takes a QB at 7, then you guys can have your Dak Prescott.

It will be interesting if both Wentz and Goff are still there at #7 when our time comes ...I doubt it , but anything is possible
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I'd like Dak, but if it has to be in the second round I think I'd pass.

We have enough picks to trade up.
sounds like Baalke is in love with cook
Share 49ersWebzone