LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Mock offseason with draft

Resign
NT Williams I thought really hard about Harrison from the jets because Williams is a little undersized but stuck with Williams because he's a team Capt. Either was big space eaters aren't that expensive the highest paid NT made 4.5 million last year.
Resign Celek but we need to bring in some legitimate competition at that position through the draft.
Cut pears,Brooks, Bethea,

Free Agent
James laurenitis ILB perfect compliment to bowman on the inside, only missed one game in 7 years. Plus provides inside knowledge of Rams players and coaches.
Chris Long DE can split snaps at both DE spots has a lot of good football left in him. Cheaper than going after Jackson with Dial and Armstead already at end we don't need to go big money on that spot.
Trumaine Johnson CB under the radar CB had 7 int last season, has great size at 6-2 playmaking ability and is only 26 would be our number 1 CB. Pushes Acker back to number 4 for with Brock at the 2 and Ward at the nickel back. Our cbs would be Johnson, Brock, Acker, Johnson, Cromarte,Reaser.
Jahri Evans G I doubt Martin and Thomas improve dramatically enough for the staff to trust starting both of them at once. Evans has 2 or 3 good years left him and would be a better mentor for our young guards than Boone is.

Trade
Kapernick to Browns for 3rd round pick, although I truly believe we will be able to get at least a second round pick because more than 1 team will be interested.
Attempt to trade for Mike Glennon QB Tampa Bay. Although they said he's not on the block he's in the last year of his contract and there's no one he resigns with them because he won't ever start. He can compete and would probably beat out Gabbert for the job. Either way need an upgrade at backup if we don't draft a QB in round 1. Another option is Osweiler in free agency. I doubt Denver wants to franchise him for 20 million with Miller and Jackson free agent.

Round 1 pick 7 traded to philly for pick 13 and 3rd round pick. Philly moves up to grab a top 3 QB or Treadwell.
Round 1 pick 13 Noah Spence OLB pass rusher we need badly him and Lynch would make a great combo with Harold backing up both sides.
Round 2 pick 37 Cody Whitehair would compete immediately for a starting guard spot.
Round 3 pick 65 from Browns jeremy cash S we will need a S when we cut Bethea preferably one good enough to step in for Reid if we decide not to resign him. I would be thrilled with him or Bell as the primary backup for Tartt and Reid.
Round 3 pick 68 Spencer Drango solid OT might be able to grab RT position
Round 3 pick 79 Scooby Wright ILB absolutely love this guy! Not the most athletic but if you watch his film he never takes a bad step and he's relentless. Will take Laurentis spot eventually. He looks like Borland with size to me.
Round 3 pick 85 traded picks 106 in round 4 and pick 145 in round 5 to move up. Niners select Booker RB from Utah. RB Davis looks like a bust we need a 1b RB.
Round 4 pick 133 comp pick Adolphus Washington DE would have gone higher if he didn't like hookers.
Round 5 pick 142 Robert Aguayo K. We are at least 2 years from being in contention we might as well save 4 million by not resigning Dawson and groom someone to be good when the rest of the team catches up. Only K that should get drafted.
Round 5 pick 174 Jalin Marshall KR/PR/WR he would start at returner from day one and would be our fastest Wr.
Round 6 pick 181 Leonte Caroo Wr Rutgers
Round 6 pick 183 Cyrus Jones Cb
Round 6 pick traded for 2017 5th round pick
Round 6 pick comp pick 211 Joe Cheek OG
Round 6 pick comp pick 213 Jamal Palmer DE but will switch to OLB in the pros.
Depth Chart
QB
Glennon, Gabbert
RB
Hyde, Booker, Davis, Draughn or Hayne
WR
Smith, Ellington, Marshall, white
Rogers or Smelter, Carroo, Patton, Anderson, the best 5 or 6 plays 1 or 2 gets stashed on practice squad
TE
Celek, Bell, Mcdonald
OT
Staley, Drango, Silberman
Davis, Brown, Kelly, the best 4 plays 1 or 2' to the practice squad
OG
Evans, Martin, Cheek
Whitehair, Thomas, Tiller
C
Kilgore, Martin
DE
Dial, Washington, Carradine
Long, Armstead
NT
Williams, Dorsey
OLB
Lynch, Lemonier or Palmer
Spence, Harold,
ILB
Laurenitis, Wright
Bowman, Hodges, Skov traded Whilhoite solid backup but I like hodges better to step in and start, Whilhoite still has value
CB
Truman Johnson, Donte Jonhson, Cromarte
Brock, Acker, Reaser, Jones
Nickel back
Ward, Brock, Donte Johnson
S
Reid, Cash,
Tartt, cut Mcray Williams and Johnson can fill in if needed
LS
Nelson
K.
Aguayo
P
Pinion
KR Marshall
PR Haynes

2017 mock offseason
Resign
Dial
Let Reid walk, the concussion issue the money and the fact that I drafted us Jeremy cash last season to fill his roll. I'm hesitant to pay big money on a safety. He's a good solid player but not a superstar. His next concussion could be his last.
Cut A. Davis old and expensive
Cut Torrey Smith bad deal and we can upgrade
Free agency
I figure we will roll at least 25 million over from the 2016 season making us around 65 million under the cap.
Matt Kalil OT I'm not sold on Davis coming back as good as when he left plus I think his cap number jumps to like 9 million his last season. We need to get younger I think Kalil might be better suited for RT but 2 years there he can switch back when Staley retires.
Ryan Kalil OC stud started improvement over Kilgore who would be better as a backup with a pay cut if his contract isn't over by then.
Keenan Allen WR nice Wr and young.
Tavon Austin only worth 3rd Wr money but like the speed. I have high hopes on either Rogers or Smelter turning into a good number 2 Wr.
Chandler Jones DE why another DE with Armstead and Dial you never have enough pass rushers and it would be nice to have a 4 man rotation there without much of a drop off. As big as Dial and Armstead is they can rotate into the NT position and DT when we are in a 4/3 front.
Dre Kirpatrick CB not the only option Gilmore or Xavier Rhodes would be nice.
2017 Draft
Round 1 pick 15
Raekwon McMillan ILB the replacement for Laurentis. A big ILB a LB with a nasty disposition.
Round 2 pick 47
Malik McDowell DT a big boy.
Round 3 pick 82
Gunner Kiel QB replacement for Gabbert at backup QB
Round 4 pick 120
Deveon Smith RB a good back from that school up north but he's know Elliott!
Round 5 pick 152
Hardy Nickerson LB Our LB coach said that kid can play!
Round 5 pick 157 Max Redfield FS
Round 6 Pick 185 Jamarco Jones OG
Round 6 comp pick Dwayne Thomas CB
Round 7 Tony Bridges CB
[ Edited by SFBuckeye on Feb 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM ]
Nice mock
So we sign all the Rams FA's lol! Love the fact all positional needs are met. Trade down and grab spence is my favorite move. Not sure we'd sign Evans and draft a Gaurd in 2nd but no arguing the OL is a top priority. I believe the Rams keep their young secondary. I'd switch a 2nd round corner instead of Whitehair. I'm taking Aguayo in all my mocks as well. Same reasons. I like Scooby in the 3rd and Marshall late as a returner. Nice job!

Watching Crabtree and Ted Ginn this season had to make everyone realize we had players at WR. Blame on Kap or Coaching. Either way WR needs to be addressed big time. Because our talent defection has been a 3 year process to go along with terrible drafts
The 7th over all pick for the13th and a 3rd, really? Don't see great value in that trade at all. Moving up 6 slots should require more compensation than just a 3rd imo. I want Their 2nd rounder too, or no deal.

[ Edited by vermonator on Feb 21, 2016 at 8:10 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
What happened to Jimmie Ward and why is he no longer the nickel?

Why cut our best ST's players and have no true backup at SS?

Why would the Eagles trade up for Treadwell when they have Agholor and Matthews ?
Originally posted by vermonator:
The 7th over all pick for the13th and a 3rd, really? Don't see great value in that trade at all. Moving up 6 slots should require more compensation than just a 3rd imo. I want Their 2nd rounder too, or no deal.

Yea I understand that but u have to figure if we can still get one of or top players 6 picks down we pick pick up a third and save probably 5 million on the contract that can be spent elsewhere. That's like when Minnesota let there time on the clock to expire and let a couple teams pick before them so they could save some money. It's more than just the pick number it's the money we save by moving back. I like spence just not at 7. We don't know how he's going to react when he gets all of that money and women. If he's going to relapse.
[ Edited by SFBuckeye on Feb 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:
What happened to Jimmie Ward and why is he no longer the nickel?

Why cut our best ST's players and have no true backup at SS?

Why would the Eagles trade up for Treadwell when they have Agholor and Matthews ?
i
It says Jimmy ward Nickel back on there.
I also have us going after,Jeremy Cash in round 3 to back up at safety.
It also says philly would want to move up to grab a QB or Treadwell. Agholor is decent but Treadwell could be as good as Julio Jones. Some people draft best player regardless of wether it's a absolute need. If they think a player is going to be a superstar at a position you take them instead of drafting for need. We drafted for need last year and took Armstead over peters. Everything I read said Peters was going to be great everything about Armstead said project that underperformed in college. That's why peters played 900 snaps and Armstead played 260. Peters had 8 interceptions our team would be a lot better with him in the lineup. A 1st round pick should start in year 1! A second round pick should be ready to start in a year. We continually draft guys not capable of starting 2 or 3 years.
Nice mock👍. Not a big fan of trading Kap away... I like Glennon though, underrated player imo definitely an upgrade over gabbert.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
Yea I understand that but u have to figure if we can still get one of or top players 6 picks down we pick pick up a third and save probably 5 million on the contract that can be spent elsewhere. That's like when Minnesota let there time on the clock to expire and let a couple teams pick before them so they could save some money. It's more than just the pick number it's the money we save by moving back. I like spence just not at 7. We don't know how he's going to react when he gets all of that money and women. If he's going to relapse.

I hear ya, but how much money do we need to save? We probably have over $50 million in cap room and it's a slotted rookie pay scale anyway. Equal value in picks trumps the cash value to sign them. We need at least their 3rd and 4th picks to go along with the 13th to save face. Baalke can't afford to look desperate and taking just a 3rd would look desperate. We stay at 7 we get a top notch starter anyway, I'd stay packed unless there's an offer on the table too good to refuse.

And who knows, maybe Spence drops out of the first round all together.
[ Edited by vermonator on Feb 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
I hear ya, but how much money do we need to save? We probably have over $50 million in cap room and it's a slotted rookie pay scale anyway. Equal value in picks trumps the cash value to sign them. We need at least their 3rd and 4th picks to go along with the 13th to save face. Baalke can't afford to look desperate and taking just a 3rd would look desperate. We stay at 7 we get a top notch starter anyway, I'd stay packed unless there's an offer on the table too good to refuse.

And who knows, maybe Spence drops out of the first round all together.

I'm thinking about saving money so we can be a player in free agency over the next few years also. Everything we don't spend this year gets put on top of our cap space next year. If we pick up 1 or 2 strong starters this year and next along with a good draft I think we will be ready for the playoffs.

The trade value chart has been irrelevant since the rookie cap was implemented.

Getting an extra 3rd for moving from #7 to #13 would be great if Baalke's 1st round pick list is at least 13 deep.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Feb 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM ]
Any draft that has spence and whitehair I like...don't see the point in bringing in Evans if we are drafting two OT though? I like Washington and not sure caroo goes that late...you think baalke and chip draft so many players with red flags though??

I would prefer if we move up and get quality you have us bringing in 17 people that's quite a lot man especially with such a young team already.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
I'm thinking about saving money so we can be a player in free agency over the next few years also. Everything we don't spend this year gets put on top of our cap space next year. If we pick up 1 or 2 strong starters this year and next along with a good draft I think we will be ready for the playoffs.

Of course saving money for free agency is great, but lets not reach or miss fire in the draft again either. Even at 13 I think taking Noah Spence is a bad idea, doesn't have the long arms Baalke looks for (he measured at 31"), not to mention, was kicked out of Ohio State for failing multiple drug tests. Don't think Baalke is willing to take that kind of risk, could be Aldon Smith all over again, and not in a good way. But hey, it's just a mock draft and it's all in fun. Personally, I want to stick at 7 and take the best player available. QB, DE, OT, OLB, ILB, WR, whatever, we got holes man!
Can we please stop all this trading the 7th pick garbage. Almost every mock on here has the 49ers trading the pick. Just make the picks without the trades please.
Share 49ersWebzone