LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Bimbo Mock 3.0

Very solid! If we walk into the war room with a pass rusher, starting guard and a starting corner already on the books, I'd be satisfied with our offseason and wouldn't mind going in a few different directions with that pick at #7 (Goff, Buckner, Jack, or trade back for Treadwell, Lawson, Bullard etc.) Well done
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Bravo good sir!

You really did a good job of covering all the holes while drafting our QB of the future.

Did you stay true to the cap though? Marvin, Oliver vernon, Osmele, and Sean Smith will all be big acquisitions because they are top free agents in their positions

Based on a few reliable sources, we have roughly 53 million in cap space, before any cuts. Cutting Brooks saves another 6MM roughly. Based on my estimated salaries for all new FA's (which feel realistic), I have us spending 40M on new FA's. Davis' return counts about 3MM against the cap, so even if we need to pay 6MM per for Ian Williams, we can fit all these moves into the cap. We can open up further savings the following year by cutting Kaep and Bathea.

All that said, this is definitely what I would consider a "best case scenario" considering our cap space and current assets. But isn't that what Mocks are for? I think this approach still works if we end up having to settle for someone like Brandon Brooks instead of Osemele. Or Sanu instead of M Jones. Or Hali instead of Vernon.

Considering that we totally whiffed on 2015 FA, I do think we will target the upper end of the market at a few positions, but we probably try and find some value finds at other positions. Either way, this feels like a Baalke type approach in that we fill most of our glaring holes in FA, and through the trade market before the draft. This gives us flexibility because we're trying to upgrade from players like Kaep, Kilgore, Dial, and Hodges vs. filling gaping holes.
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Feb 19, 2016 at 9:10 AM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm not sure $4M a season will get Ian Williams re-signed...he's rated one of the top interior DL, and based on other NT's could get @$5M a season. I hope you're right. I love Dawson, but is it wise to carry a 41-yr old K for $3M a season when Baalke can draft one of several outstanding college K's, or he can simply go w/Acosta. Per a number of reports I've read, good chance KC franchises Sean Smith. I'd love to have him...big CB who seems to be coming into his own now. I like Malik Jackson a lot...and based on the Broncos wanting to keep Von Miller and having committed money to Derek Wolfe, there seems to be a good chance Jackson will hit the FA market. Vernon is arguably more available, given Miami's going into FA just $2.5M above the cap. Either guy would be a big upgrade from Dial. Hillman could be valuable in Kelly's offense...he's dynamite in the open field.

Like your mock, but I think Goff will be gone before we draft...don't see Baalke trading up to get him, although he could, if he's the guy Kelly wants. If he's gone, Jack, Treadwell or Buckner would be great picks. Trent will need to build the DL back up to a much higher level...because everything on the defense is keyed by how well (or not) they play. So, love the Butler pick.

You are probably right about Ian Williams, but even if it's a 4 year 20MM contract, the mock still works. Also agree that Dawson is a luxury, but we can afford it, and we get some cap space next year if he's gone. In fact, I have us drafting a kicker, so he probably doesn't get resigned anyways!

Also agree that Goff is a long-shot, but with many projecting the Browns to take Wentz, I don't think it's crazy. A lot of the guys who get paid to do this project him falling to the 49ers or beyond. The way this mock was built, I think we can also take either Buckner or Jack in R1 and it's still a great offseason.
If this off-season ended like this, I'd be ecstatic. Only thing I would love to see, and its because I love how he represents himself and the team, is to bring Boldin back.
This would be the greatest free agency period ever! haha

Would be awesome if it happened tho
Good mock
Share 49ersWebzone