Jordan Devey - OG
Jerome Simpson - WR

Resign:
Ian Williams - NT (4 yr / $16M)
Garrett Celek - TE (3 yr / $6.5M)
Phil Dawson – K (1 yr / 3 MM)

Trade:
Bruce Miller + 6th Round Pick to Browns for John Greco

4th + 5th round pick for a late 3rd rounder.

Greco was the #25 ranked guard in what was actually a down year for him last year. He was much better when Cleveland ran a ZBS scheme, and appears to be on the outs as Hue implements his power run game. He's signed for two more years at a reasonable rate, and would be a great get to plug in at RG. We've got so many picks that I'd like to package a couple for another 3rd rounder who can make an impact next year.

Free Agency:
Olivier Vernon - DE/OLB (5 yr / $70M)
Kelechi Osemele - OG (5 yr / $40M)
Sean Smith - CB (4 yr / $32M)
Marvin Jones - WR (4 yr / $28M)
Ronnie Hillman - RB (2 yr / 6M)
Total 2016 Cap Hit – 40 Million

I think pass rusher and interior lineman need to be the priority in Free Agency. Vernon was the 3rd best rated edge defender by PFF outside of Mack and Miller, and I don't think Miami has the cap space to either franchise him or match this offer. Osemele is a top 5 offensive guard. While Baalke is typically hesitant to pay out for an OG, Osemele also has the flexibility to play Tackle which is key considering A Davis still needs to prove himself. Smith is a bit of a luxury, but is the type of Corner both Kelly and Baalke love. Jones gets his chance to get out of AJ Green's shadow and prove he can compete to be a #1 receiver opposite T Smith.

Draft:
Diligent work in FA and the trade market have plugged most of the gaping holes on the roster. Early in the draft, I'd target a 5 technique DE, ILB, and Center. That said, if Goff is available at the top of the draft I think we have to take him. I'd argue he's a top 10 pick in any draft, and if all goes right this will be the last time we pick in the top 10 for a while. Buckner or Jack are also intriguing picks, but the draft is deep with defensive lineman, and I'm hesitant to take an ILB at the top of the draft.

1. J Goff QB
2. V Butler DT/DE
3a. N Martin C
3b. S Wright ILB
4. J Haeg OG/OT
5a. K Listenbee WR
5b. J Bradbury CB
6 A Zettel DE
6 Judon OLB/DE
6 M Morgan K

If Goff is available, I'd start looking at Kaep trades, although I didn't assume we get a good pick in return for him. Wouldn't totally be surprised to see him compete with Goff and Gabbert next year. I think Butler is a stud who would be a great fit on the D line across from Armstead. Martin and Wright are two solid, instinctual players who can compete for starting positions year 1. I think measurables drop Wright down to the 3rd, but he was PFF's 23rd ranked overall player, and could have a Chris Borland type effect as a Rookie. I like Haeg a lot as an athletic Guard in the NFL who can also kick out to Tackle when necessary. He'd start as a backup, but could compete with Martin / Thomas to take over for Greco in a couple years.

Roster:

QB: Colin Kaepernick / Jared Goff / Blaine Gabbert
RB: Carlos Hyde / Ronnie Hillman / Mike Davis / DuJuan Harris
TE: Garret Celek / Vance McDonald / Blake Bell / Busta Anderson
WR: Marvin Jones / Quinton Patton / Eric Rogers
WR: Torrey Smith / Kolby Listenbee
WR (Slot): DreAndre Smelter / Bruce Ellington
LT: Joe Staley / Haeg
LG: Kelechi Osemele / Marcus Martin / Brandon Thomas
C: Daniel Kilgore / Nick Martin
RG: John Greco / Andrew Tiller
RT: Anthony Davis / Trent Brown

DE: Arik Armstead / Anthony Zettel
DT: Ian Williams / G Dorsey
DE: Vernon Butler / Quinton Dial
OLB: Aaron Lynch / Eli Harold
ILB: Navarro Bowman / Shayne Skov
ILB: Scooby Wright III / Gerald Hodges
OLB: Olivier Vernon / Tank Carradine / Judon
FS: Eric Reid / Jimmie Ward
SS: Jaquiski Tartt / Antoine Bethea / Lj McCray
CB: Sean Smith / Dontae Johnson / J Bradbury
CB: Tremaine Brock / Kenneth Acker / Marcus Cromartie
CB (Slot): Jimmie Ward

K: Phil Dawson
LS: Kyle Nelson
P: Bradley Pinion

All in all, we'd be looking at a remade offensive line to help protect the investment in Goff. Jones, Smith, and Smelter would be a solid trio of receivers in Kelly's offense, which should see a significant boost due to scheme. Defensively, we infuse major talent into some key positions, and should see the unit continue to grow.
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:56 PM ]
Well this is a dream mock! If it went down like that we'd have one of the best off seasons of all-time and Baalke would deserve a parade lol

Not seeing it as super realistic but hey it's just a mock
And what about OT Pears?
He's not cut or on depth chart
[ Edited by stonecold590 on Feb 18, 2016 at 4:26 PM ]
Bravo good sir!

You really did a good job of covering all the holes while drafting our QB of the future.

Did you stay true to the cap though? Marvin, Oliver vernon, Osmele, and Sean Smith will all be big acquisitions because they are top free agents in their positions
Originally posted by stonecold590:
And what about OT Pears?

he probably forgot to put him on the cut list. I think we should all assume that every mock will have Pears cut haha
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
And what about OT Pears?

he probably forgot to put him on the cut list. I think we should all assume that every mock will have Pears cut haha

Not all of them do. It is my main comment if they don't. He needs to be GONE
I don't see us drafting a Kicker. We already signed Acosta to a Future Contract. Plus you have us keeping Dawson so we have 2 on the roster without your drafting a Kicker.
Good mock!

Most of our mocks never happen anyway so this was a lot of fun.

BTW, I'm all-in on Oliver Vernon!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good mock!

Most of our mocks never happen anyway so this was a lot of fun.

BTW, I'm all-in on Oliver Vernon!

same here. i think him and lynch would set us up for one badazz pass rush
I'm not sure $4M a season will get Ian Williams re-signed...he's rated one of the top interior DL, and based on other NT's could get @$5M a season. I hope you're right. I love Dawson, but is it wise to carry a 41-yr old K for $3M a season when Baalke can draft one of several outstanding college K's, or he can simply go w/Acosta. Per a number of reports I've read, good chance KC franchises Sean Smith. I'd love to have him...big CB who seems to be coming into his own now. I like Malik Jackson a lot...and based on the Broncos wanting to keep Von Miller and having committed money to Derek Wolfe, there seems to be a good chance Jackson will hit the FA market. Vernon is arguably more available, given Miami's going into FA just $2.5M above the cap. Either guy would be a big upgrade from Dial. Hillman could be valuable in Kelly's offense...he's dynamite in the open field.

Like your mock, but I think Goff will be gone before we draft...don't see Baalke trading up to get him, although he could, if he's the guy Kelly wants. If he's gone, Jack, Treadwell or Buckner would be great picks. Trent will need to build the DL back up to a much higher level...because everything on the defense is keyed by how well (or not) they play. So, love the Butler pick.

Goff
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm not sure $4M a season will get Ian Williams re-signed...he's rated one of the top interior DL, and based on other NT's could get @$5M a season. I hope you're right. I love Dawson, but is it wise to carry a 41-yr old K for $3M a season when Baalke can draft one of several outstanding college K's, or he can simply go w/Acosta. Per a number of reports I've read, good chance KC franchises Sean Smith. I'd love to have him...big CB who seems to be coming into his own now. I like Malik Jackson a lot...and based on the Broncos wanting to keep Von Miller and having committed money to Derek Wolfe, there seems to be a good chance Jackson will hit the FA market. Vernon is arguably more available, given Miami's going into FA just $2.5M above the cap. Either guy would be a big upgrade from Dial. Hillman could be valuable in Kelly's offense...he's dynamite in the open field.

Like your mock, but I think Goff will be gone before we draft...don't see Baalke trading up to get him, although he could, if he's the guy Kelly wants. If he's gone, Jack, Treadwell or Buckner would be great picks. Trent will need to build the DL back up to a much higher level...because everything on the defense is keyed by how well (or not) they play. So, love the Butler pick.

Who is taking Goff without an expensive trade up? This is assuming Cleveland doesn't take him.

Like the mock offseason and draft. I'm a big fan of Vernon and Osemele. Even if Kaep is untradable or his contract guarantees this year, we can cut him next year with a minimal penalty or he may even perform a little better and become tradable next offseason.
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Assumptions:
- Anthony Davis returns

Cut:
Ahmad Brooks - OLB
Jordan Devey - OG
Jerome Simpson - WR

Resign:
Ian Williams - NT (4 yr / $16M)
Garrett Celek - TE (3 yr / $6.5M)
Phil Dawson – K (1 yr / 3 MM)

Trade:
Bruce Miller + 6th Round Pick to Browns for John Greco

4th + 5th round pick for a late 3rd rounder.

Greco was the #25 ranked guard in what was actually a down year for him last year. He was much better when Cleveland ran a ZBS scheme, and appears to be on the outs as Hue implements his power run game. He's signed for two more years at a reasonable rate, and would be a great get to plug in at RG. We've got so many picks that I'd like to package a couple for another 3rd rounder who can make an impact next year.

Free Agency:
Olivier Vernon - DE/OLB (5 yr / $70M)
Kelechi Osemele - OG (5 yr / $40M)
Sean Smith - CB (4 yr / $32M)
Marvin Jones - WR (4 yr / $28M)
Ronnie Hillman - RB (2 yr / 6M)
Total 2016 Cap Hit – 40 Million

I think pass rusher and interior lineman need to be the priority in Free Agency. Vernon was the 3rd best rated edge defender by PFF outside of Mack and Miller, and I don't think Miami has the cap space to either franchise him or match this offer. Osemele is a top 5 offensive guard. While Baalke is typically hesitant to pay out for an OG, Osemele also has the flexibility to play Tackle which is key considering A Davis still needs to prove himself. Smith is a bit of a luxury, but is the type of Corner both Kelly and Baalke love. Jones gets his chance to get out of AJ Green's shadow and prove he can compete to be a #1 receiver opposite T Smith.

Draft:
Diligent work in FA and the trade market have plugged most of the gaping holes on the roster. Early in the draft, I'd target a 5 technique DE, ILB, and Center. That said, if Goff is available at the top of the draft I think we have to take him. I'd argue he's a top 10 pick in any draft, and if all goes right this will be the last time we pick in the top 10 for a while. Buckner or Jack are also intriguing picks, but the draft is deep with defensive lineman, and I'm hesitant to take an ILB at the top of the draft.

1. J Goff QB
2. V Butler DT/DE
3a. N Martin C
3b. S Wright ILB
4. J Haeg OG/OT
5a. K Listenbee WR
5b. J Bradbury CB
6 A Zettel DE
6 Judon OLB/DE
6 M Morgan K

If Goff is available, I'd start looking at Kaep trades, although I didn't assume we get a good pick in return for him. Wouldn't totally be surprised to see him compete with Goff and Gabbert next year. I think Butler is a stud who would be a great fit on the D line across from Armstead. Martin and Wright are two solid, instinctual players who can compete for starting positions year 1. I think measurables drop Wright down to the 3rd, but he was PFF's 23rd ranked overall player, and could have a Chris Borland type effect as a Rookie. I like Haeg a lot as an athletic Guard in the NFL who can also kick out to Tackle when necessary. He'd start as a backup, but could compete with Martin / Thomas to take over for Greco in a couple years.

Roster:

QB: Colin Kaepernick / Jared Goff / Blaine Gabbert
RB: Carlos Hyde / Ronnie Hillman / Mike Davis / DuJuan Harris
TE: Garret Celek / Vance McDonald / Blake Bell / Busta Anderson
WR: Marvin Jones / Quinton Patton / Eric Rogers
WR: Torrey Smith / Kolby Listenbee
WR (Slot): DreAndre Smelter / Bruce Ellington
LT: Joe Staley / Haeg
LG: Kelechi Osemele / Marcus Martin / Brandon Thomas
C: Daniel Kilgore / Nick Martin
RG: John Greco / Andrew Tiller
RT: Anthony Davis / Trent Brown

DE: Arik Armstead / Anthony Zettel
DT: Ian Williams / G Dorsey
DE: Vernon Butler / Quinton Dial
OLB: Aaron Lynch / Eli Harold
ILB: Navarro Bowman / Shayne Skov
ILB: Scooby Wright III / Gerald Hodges
OLB: Olivier Vernon / Tank Carradine / Judon
FS: Eric Reid / Jimmie Ward
SS: Jaquiski Tartt / Antoine Bethea / Lj McCray
CB: Sean Smith / Dontae Johnson / J Bradbury
CB: Tremaine Brock / Kenneth Acker / Marcus Cromartie
CB (Slot): Jimmie Ward

K: Phil Dawson
LS: Kyle Nelson
P: Bradley Pinion

All in all, we'd be looking at a remade offensive line to help protect the investment in Goff. Jones, Smith, and Smelter would be a solid trio of receivers in Kelly's offense, which should see a significant boost due to scheme. Defensively, we infuse major talent into some key positions, and should see the unit continue to grow.

I love all of the above, but I feel this offense needs the ability to grind it out if necessary or with leads. Miller is also a decent pass receiver. The only way he should go is if we develop another really good blocking TE.

I get he doesn't exactly fit in the offense as is, but every team needs the ability to do some downhill running unless you are the Greatest Show on Turf or the Patriots.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Who is taking Goff without an expensive trade up? This is assuming Cleveland doesn't take him.

I could sorta see this scenario playing out (if I had to bet money on it, I'd say there's like a 90% chance Goff is gone at 7, but it wouldn't shock me if he's still there. The Jaguars and Ravens may ask for too much for him if both the Browns and Cowboys pass up on him. The Rams at 15 are the next team that desperately need a QB and they may not want to give up a future first (it would suck to have them jump ahead of us though).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/290600

1. Laremy Tunsil
2. Carson Wentz
3. Jalen Ramsey
4. Myles Jack
5. Joey Bosa
6. DeForest Buckner
7. Jared Goff (or Carson Wentz if Goff goes to the Browns)

It will be really interesting to see who the Cowboys take.
Share 49ersWebzone