Garrett Celek - TE (3 yr / $6.5M)

Free Agency:
Bruce Irvin - OLB (5 yr / $55M)
Jeff Allen - OG (4 yr / $21M)
Stefen Wisniewski - OC (4 yr / $14M)
Morris Claiborne - CB (1 yr / $3.5M)
LeGarrette Blount - RB (2 yr / 3M)

Draft:

1. Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA: He's an elite athlete that excelled from the moment he stepped on the field. As a freshman, he was the conference freshman Offensive and Defensive POY. While he's probably a day two RB, he's an even better LB. Willis left a huge void and we have only Hodges behind Bowman. Jack would be an excellent compliment to Bowman and instantly upgrade our pass coverage. He can blanket TEs and make plays sideline to sideline. While there's some hesitation with this pick because he missed the majority of the 2015 season, I'm expecting Jack to put on a show at the Combine and ease those concerns.

2. Chris Jones, DE/DT, Miss St: With the depth at DT in this draft, Jones is projected closer to the 3rd round as of now, but if he shows well at the Combine he'll look to move into the top-50. Inside, he's effective, but his motor is inconsistent. On the outside, he's a completely different prospect. I see a starter as a 5-technique. He came out of high school with high expectations and didn't live up to them at Miss St. The talent is there. He just needs a year to put it all together.

3. Artie Burns, CB, Miami: He's leaving school early due to personal/family reasons. He endured so much this year and still produced on the football. He's driven and mature, with playmaking skills and great athleticism. I expect him to test well at the Combine, especially in the broad and vertical. He'll also shine in the interviews.

4.1 Denver Kirkland, LG, Arkansas: A true mauler at 6-5 340lbs. If he returned for his final season, he'd be viewed as a day 2 prospect. He declared early and has experience at LG and LT. I think Trent is enticed with the development of his other massive draftee in Trent Brown. We line him up at LG and let him compete.

4.2 Cody Kessler, QB, USC: This isn't a flashy pick and probably the consensus least favorite, but it gives Chip something to mold. The odds are that he becomes a career backup, but QB depth is a necessity. Kessler lacks the size and big arm to get drafted earlier, but he's accurate, smart with the ball, and progresses through his reads. In short, he's not an elite talent, but he can manage Chip's offense.

5.1 Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook: He jumped on the map during Shrine practices/game. He's a slightly smaller guy with a great first step. He'll be closer to 250-255lbs once drafted. His size doesn't worry me much. Though, just as Eli struggled early, I junk it's fair to expect the same from Ochi. Couple that with his leap in competition and he'll be a situational rusher earlier in his career, with some real potential to contribute.

5.2 Paul McRoberts, WR, So Missouri St: He was a Senior Bowl favorite. At 6-3 200lbs and with 4.4 speed there's a lot to like. He didn't seem overwhelmed at the SB, he'll out jump CBs, and he has huge mits.

5.3 Peyton Barber, RB, Auburn: A surprise entry in the draft. He's a redshirt sophomore at 5-11 225lbs. He looks like a faster, in-shape, version of Mike Davis. Barber is good between the tackles, unexpected quickness, and finishes strong. He's a day 2 talent with very low mileage. Adds quality depth to the position.

6.1 Tyler Johnstone, LT, Oregon: Here's a Chip pick. Johnstone drew the Staley comparison's for his athleticism, but that was prior to tearing his ACL twice. And just like that he became a Baalke pick. He's healthy now and a perfect fit in the ZBS. After all, he was recruited to play in Chip's offense. He's almost two years removed from his ACL injuries and could be a huge steal for us.

6.2 Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida: We take a chance here on one of the top WRs in the draft no one is talking about. Call this our "Josh Gordon" pick. He's described as the ultimate competitor and a "football guy", but he likes the weed a little too much. Chip's daily wiz quiz could prevent his urges. This late in the draft you can take a flyer. If he keeps his nose clean, we'll look back and wonder how he fell so far.

6.3 Traded for 2017 5th round pick

6.4 Traded for 2017 5th round pick
Great Job! Could definitely get down with this kinda draft. I'm not a big fan of Bruce Irvin (probably cuz he plays for the Hawks) I just don't know how well he will do as a 3-4 OLB. Only other player I dislike is Kessler but I get the reasoning behind Kessler and Irvin. All in all hell of a job.
That is a great offseason. Like the Irvin signing because he will be much happier rushing the passer, even though he dropped back 30% of the time this year into pass coverage as part of the Seahawks 4-3 defense. Agree with Hysterikal about Kessler. Would much rather have Vernon Adams or Dak Prescott as our 3rd QB. Can't get over the thought of Matt Barkley and how he became nothing as another failed USC QB turned pro.
This is certainly one of the more reasonable mocks out there to be honest. Most of them have 1st round guys going in the the 2nd plus two or three big free agent signings.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I know strictly looking at sack numbers don't tell the whole story on pass rushing but Irvin's numbers there are quite underwhelming. I'd like to see his pass rush ratings compared to the other elite pass rushers in the league.

Very reasonable mock here, love the focus on the lines both offense and defense. Definitely something we need to fully address
Myles jack will be limited in combine
Good job!
A little low on the $$$ estimates of Allen and Wiz. Think both would potential be around $7-8 million per year, teams will be desperate for oline talent. Realistic mock in terms of player additions though.
Solid realistic mock

Not sure Irvin is worth that much cash and not sure how he'd be as a OLB?

Not a fan of the QB pick at all...at that point I'd rather not draft a QB then pick him lol.

Overall good job!
Nice mock but your free agency numbers are way off. Ian Williams is projected to get 8 mil a year. Allen and Wisnewski will also gwt double, if not triple what you have them signed for. Basically, you gave all those guys backup money.

Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
A little low on the $$$ estimates of Allen and Wiz. Think both would potential be around $7-8 million per year, teams will be desperate for oline talent. Realistic mock in terms of player additions though.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Nice mock but your free agency numbers are way off. Ian Williams is projected to get 8 mil a year. Allen and Wisnewski will also gwt double, if not triple what you have them signed for. Basically, you gave all those guys backup money.

FA is hard to predict. With the cap increasing and desperate teams bidding, the price will rise. Here's my thought though...

- Ian Williams isn't the best NT in football, but he'll get paid similarly. Wilford makes $4.5 / yr. Harrison is looking for $5M. Ian should fall in around $4.5M /yr on the high side, IMO.

- Irvin will probably get $10-11M / yr because he can do it all, including pass rush. There's speculation that he goes to Atl, but I think he fits our defense perfectly. Atl isn't a great fit unless he wants to keep playing in coverage and he's indicated that he prefers getting the QB.

- Allen is good young player, but I'm not sure he's worth more than $6M year. I could see a team throwing big money at him though.

-Wisnieski signed a $3M deal last year. This contract will increase, but I still expect it in the $4M / yr area.
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Myles jack will be limited in combine

Yeah, I read that too. I starting working on this a couple weeks ago, so some of my comments are a little dated. I think it helps the case of him being there at #7.

Overall, the positions and focus of this mock is what I'd like to see. For instance, if Buckner is there in the 1st and Kendall Fuller is on the board in the 2nd, then jump on it.

I put Chris Jones in there a little early for my taste. I think that if he draft were today, he'd be selected in the 50-75 range. The depth at DT pushes him down and he's a better fit in the 3-4 which limits the interest that early. He'd be a nice upgrade over Dial though.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Great Job! Could definitely get down with this kinda draft. I'm not a big fan of Bruce Irvin (probably cuz he plays for the Hawks) I just don't know how well he will do as a 3-4 OLB. Only other player I dislike is Kessler but I get the reasoning behind Kessler and Irvin. All in all hell of a job.

I went back and forth between Dak, Vernon, Driskell, and Foughty. Somehow I settled on Kessler.

I think Dak and maybe Driskell come off the board day 2 and there's some good defensive talent available that could become starters, so I went that route

I like Foughty and Adams. Foughty threw a couple picks at the Shrine game, but if you watch throws he made under pressure, which was nearly every drop back, it's very promising. The first pick was 100% on him forcing it. The second Int I put one his WR. He put up Madden numbers this year also, but the Shrine game turned some people off. Good developmental player for Chip.

Adams is a gamer, but I think he'll have a tough time getting drafted. He's not Russell Wilson, but he can play. His ceiling is Tyrod Taylor after sitting for a few years.

If Baalke comes out of left field to surprise us, it'll be grabbing Paxton Lynch at #7. Calling my shot early on this one.
[ Edited by strickac on Feb 18, 2016 at 10:41 AM ]
Best ive seen in awhile. I also don't like the QB pick but the rest is gravy.
[ Edited by stonecold590 on Feb 18, 2016 at 7:12 AM ]
This is the most realistic mock I've seen especially free agency and cuts. I just really hope instead of Claiborne we go after Sean Smith. That would be so worth it and a great idea
Share 49ersWebzone