LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

NYniner85 pre-combine mock 2016

Okay so here's the pre-combine mock that I would like to do. I use CBS Sports rankings and I got some flak for trading so no trade this go around

Cap Space: currently $53+ million

draft picks 12

FA adds:

Alex Mack C- He's my big offensive signing...gives us a vet center that we need (we saw what happens with a bad center ) and we can push Kilgore out to guard which he will have no problem adjusting too.
Jerrell Freeman ILB- He graded out as the 4th overall ILB last year on a not so good Colts defense. He's 29 so Freeman won't command big money on a 3 year deal similar to Bethea.
Geoff Schwartz- He wants to play here and is from the area and has been under our OL coaches wing while in NY...it makes sense and when he's healthy he's a solid player...won't have to invest a ton of cash either.

Not a ton monster signings, I'm guessing we get involved in some of the big FAs but ultimately strike out....never know though I'd also love if we got one of these guys...Sean Smith, Olivier Vernon,Osemele, Trevathan, Jackson etc but just trying to be realistic.

Cuts:

Brooks
Pears
Nick Bellore
Jerome Simpson

Resign:

Ian Williams-top priority signing
Boldin-brings that vet presence for another year
Harris-looked good when given a chance good fit for us

A Davis- pretty positive his coming back so I planed FA and the draft on the assumption that he is.

Draft:

1st: Noah Spence OLB EK-Best 3-4 OLB in the draft...wins with power and speed. Some people think it's a reach but after the combine we will be lucky if he's here.

2nd- Vernon Butler DT Louisiania Tech -He can play all over the DL he's so quick for his size and reminds me of Wilk I have no problem lining him up at RDE

3rd- Braxton Miller WR OSU- Yes I know he's probably not going in the 3rd currently but a lot of the better WRs haven't had a chance to shine like Miller did at the Senior Week. Because he is so raw at the position I wouldn't be surprised if he drops to the 3rd (we could always trade up because no way were drafting 12 players). I think Chip would put him all over the place and teams would at the very least have to game plan for him every week. IF he isn't there I would love Xavien Howard CB he's the type of CB that Baalke and Chip like.

4th-Joe Schobert OLB Wisconson- He's got a motor and can pass rush as well, but I see him as a ILB for us. He drops due to measurables like his buddy Borland and learns behind Bow (another guy to keep an eye on is Blake Martinez from Stanford).

4th (comp)- C.J. PROSISE, RB Norte Dame- Still sticking with him in the 4th, he's another weapon that Chip would love to have in his bag. He's big and can catch the ball...still raw but Rathman is the best in the biz.

5th DAK PRESCOTT, QB Miss ST- He's gotten better as a passer and he has the size and arm chip likes...I think he battles it out for backup duties and get's to sit back and learn Chip's offense.

5th (SD pick)-TYLER JOHNSTONE, OT - Same as my last mock..Here's our ACL man, he played this season but has been injured in the past. Adds depth to the tackle position an chip get's a duck.

5th-Rashard Robinson, CB LSU- This is a weird pick because he hasn't played ball in 2 years. BUT he's was a stud freshman at LSU before getting suspended. He has the length and speed you want and might have been a top CB in the draft if he played...it a HUGE risk but if we are keeping 12 picks why the hell not? He might move up the draft boards after the combine though.

6th-Aziz s**ttu DE Stanford- Dealt with a torn ACL in 2014 needs to get stronger if he's gonna be a 3-4 DE but he has a motor..his last game he had 10 tackles 3.5 FL and 1.5 sacks. He might be a better fit for a 4-3 but at this point if he's sitting there bring him in.

6th-D'HAQUILLE WILLIAMS, WR Auburn- Head case but has the frame and ability you want in a WR...all potential at the bottom of the draft.

6th-Yarnick Ngakoue OLB Maryland- 14 sacks this past season but needs to get stronger adds more pass rush which is needed..CBS had him as a 6th round pick I think he goes higher than this but going off their rankings this is the pick

6th-Issac Seumalo OG Oregon St- adds more depth to the line he had a foot issue and might be "injured" this season because of it. He can get to the second level which is important in chip's offense.

Okay there you have it...that's A LOT of picks lol. I don't see SF using all of them...some will be traded for next year or possibly move up to get a player they want maybe Miller there is just no way we will be able to keep all of these players without moving some picks around.

SO let me have it...what's the good, bad, and ugly

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM ]
Well you definitely went a little overkill on OLB but as long as it nets us Spence I'm happy. Getting Butler or Rankins in the 2nd with Spence in the first would be all I want. I like the Robinson pick could be a great pick. Safer pick might be Worley from WV or Young from Temple.
Good draft!

I'd much rather have Mitchell Schwartz and we can afford him.

Love the first 4 picks.
👍👍
  • dj43
Your analysis of FA market and our play there is right on. I have been looking at the top guys and I just don't see many of them wanting to come here unless the money is crazy. For example, I really like Danny Trevathan next to Bowman at ILB, however, I don't see why he would come here when he can go to Chicago and play with the HC that turned him into the player he is now.

Another guy I like is Tahir Whitehead from Detroit. Under the radar guy that might be willing to leave that up-and-down team to come here. Freeman would be nice.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Well you definitely went a little overkill on OLB but as long as it nets us Spence I'm happy. Getting Butler or Rankins in the 2nd with Spence in the first would be all I want. I like the Robinson pick could be a great pick. Safer pick might be Worley from WV or Young from Temple.

Schobert would be drafted to play ILB not OLB

Not digging young's size he's like 5-9?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good draft!

I'd much rather have Mitchell Schwartz and we can afford him.

Love the first 4 picks.

As would I and if Davis doesn't come back I'm all for thrown him some cash.
Originally posted by dj43:
Your analysis of FA market and our play there is right on. I have been looking at the top guys and I just don't see many of them wanting to come here unless the money is crazy. For example, I really like Danny Trevathan next to Bowman at ILB, however, I don't see why he would come here when he can go to Chicago and play with the HC that turned him into the player he is now.

Another guy I like is Tahir Whitehead from Detroit. Under the radar guy that might be willing to leave that up-and-down team to come here. Freeman would be nice.

Thanks yeah I don't see us landing any of the big FA especially on defense...isn't whitehead more of a 4-3 lb?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah he is undersized and I doubt Kelly/Baalke would want a 5'9" corner. But in the past 2 years the best corner in both drafts have been considered undersized (Verrett,Darby) not saying Young is as good as either but undersized shouldn't be as big of a issue as it is in the NFL.
I can dig it

I didn't see you move Kap. Safe to assume you envision on the team in '16?

Alex Mack in free agency, Spence and my boy Yannick later in the draft.

sign me up.

I do think you're a little unrealistic on Miller in the 3rd but who knows.
Free agency was spot on. Love the investment in the Oline. Ian Williams definitely a high priority to resign, Boldin I'm on the fence about. I want to say that I'd like to see more of an investment in the offense in the early part of the draft, but the team has so many holes that it's hard to go wrong with what you have. Need to see more of Spence before I can endorse him.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah he is undersized and I doubt Kelly/Baalke would want a 5'9" corner. But in the past 2 years the best corner in both drafts have been considered undersized (Verrett,Darby) not saying Young is as good as either but undersized shouldn't be as big of a issue as it is in the NFL.

I'll have to check him out thanks
Like Yarnick amd Prosise alot. Prosise would be something else in Chip's system. Lot of potential there.
great job..very much like the Freeman signing..if our draft goes like this I will be very happy..i think all will be..schobert will be a monster on special teams while backing up ILB spot..Prosise is just getting started and will get better..only thing is im very high on Prescott so I think hes drafted way higher..but what do I know lol..
Share 49ersWebzone