There are 174 users in the forums

Jatavis Brown- The Next Chris Borland

This guy is very impressive for his size and it's too bad he didn't get an invite to the NFL Combine.
Look how he sheds blockers! We should draft him and plant him in the middle as our clone of Chris Borland.

One more video
Borland? Brown is 223 lbs and Borland was atlest 20lbs bigger.

Some scouts say he should be a safety.
They have the same body frame; therefore, Brown can put on more weight. Look how this guy is shedding 300 pound blockers. Does it look like he is too small to compete and is getting overpowered to you?
Don't see the Borland connection. Scooby compares well.
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
They have the same body frame; therefore, Brown can put on more weight. Look how this guy is shedding 300 pound blockers. Does it look like he is too small to compete and is getting overpowered to you?

He just stated he doesn't want to be a ILB or a safety he was a team to make a spot for him. He doesn't have the same frame and Borland was slow as hell...not even close to a fair comparison IMO. He's not a thumper like Borland was.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/134467/jatavis-brown

Akron OLB Jatavis Brown ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at the Houston Regional Combine.

Brown, who was surprisingly spurned from the NFL Combine in Indianapolis next week due to his size, was asked after the workout what position he thinks he'll play in the NFL. "Honestly, I'd like to see a team create a position for me. Not quite a linebacker, not quite a safety but use me and be creative," Brown said. The 5-foot-11, 222-pounder is the reigning MAC Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time first team All-MAC pick. Many analysts think he'll get drafted. And Brown is certainly no stranger to overcoming long odds. "No one wanted me, except for Akron," said Brown of his recruitment process.
Source: NFL.com Feb 15 - 5:31 PM

If SF wants to bring him in with one of there 6th that's fine
Don't really need the guy, and if he's questionable about being drafted, then I'd rather take a look at him in mid 7, or late 7th round. I know we don't currently have a 7th, but i'm sure we'll be wheeling and dealing our way up and down in the draft, so if we just so happen to acquire a mid to late 7th, then we could take a look, and if he's gone, then we can just trade the pick for a 2017 pick.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He just stated he doesn't want to be a ILB or a safety he was a team to make a spot for him. He doesn't have the same frame and Borland was slow as hell...not even close to a fair comparison IMO. He's not a thumper like Borland was.

Akron OLB Jatavis Brown ran a 4.47 40-yard dash at the Houston Regional Combine.

Brown, who was surprisingly spurned from the NFL Combine in Indianapolis next week due to his size, was asked after the workout what position he thinks he'll play in the NFL. "Honestly, I'd like to see a team create a position for me. Not quite a linebacker, not quite a safety but use me and be creative," Brown said. The 5-foot-11, 222-pounder is the reigning MAC Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time first team All-MAC pick. Many analysts think he'll get drafted. And Brown is certainly no stranger to overcoming long odds. "No one wanted me, except for Akron," said Brown of his recruitment process.

Ok then, i relent. Perhaps we can draft him in 6th round to beef up our special teams
[ Edited by 49ERFANb4Uwas on Feb 15, 2016 at 9:23 PM ]
I don't see the comparison. But I do see the same nose for the football. He seems to have great football instinct. And I think he could be a gem if he gets put in the right system. The fact that he said he wants a team to make a spot for him is no bueno. He could be a very good defensive hybrid player thou.
Living here in Ohio, I get a chance to watch a fair amount of Akron games. Some notes on Brown: Heat seeking missile. Good instincts. Explosive. Runs very well sideline to sideline. Relentless. From Point A to Point B, he is a stud. So fast!

But, there are two MAJOR issues I see with him: 1) Height- he is maybe 5'10". But, the bigger problem is: 2) Short arms=missed tackles. Brown can burn the rubber getting to a guy, but he's got alligator arms, and while Borland was able to get away with it as an interior LB, Brown is a guy who is an OLB who runs in space, and simply misses way too many tackles for me to feel comfortable.

Counted five missed arm tackles in one game alone, six in another. Players can get away with a missed tackle here and there, but I can tell you that scouts don't miss these things on tape.

If I am drafting him, I am moving him to SS, and playing him as a box safety. I want him attacking guys at the LOS before they get any momentum going.

Brown is not the only player I really like who struggles with tackling in open space. Darron Lee is another great athlete who misses far too many tackles. That will get you benched in the NFL unless you clean it up.

Considering Chris Borland was a solid backup lb... he was a liability in coverage and an above average tackler.. if we want to be a great defense again we need impact linebacker ala Jaylon smith/myles jack.. Impact players guys no more projects.. Dam you Baalke listen!...
  • Andra
  • Veteran

This guy is Borland 2.0. Questionable in coverage, short arms and a tackling machine.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Ok then, i relent. Perhaps we can draft him in 6th round to beef up our special teams

We can use him similarly to Tarrt
Brown reportedly ran a 4.38 today and posted I believe 31 reps at 225. Stud.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Brown will more likely be a Sam Mills or a London Fletcher...
Share 49ersWebzone