LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Geek's "Baalke" Mock Plan

I like it. I'd rather keep Ian Williams and not bring in Sam Bradford but the trades are intriguing. Like the idea of Mike Wallace but I have a hunch Chip is looking more for some big physical WRs.
  • Jason
  • Veteran
Kap isn't leaving so far as I can tell. Given Jed's comments he will have every opportunity to compete for his job back.
Originally posted by Super9er81:
I like it. I'd rather keep Ian Williams and not bring in Sam Bradford but the trades are intriguing. Like the idea of Mike Wallace but I have a hunch Chip is looking more for some big physical WRs.

He has Eric Rogers,Smelter,and If Boldin stays those are big physical WRs,Look Kelly called Rogers as soon as He got the 9ers job,He must have bigplans for Rogers in His offense this year,then there is Dres Anderson who is what 6'1" and seems to fit Kelly`s scheme,I just don`t see the 9ers need to draft a WR unless it`s Treadwell or McRoberts(3-4 rd).
You're crazy if you think we can get away with stealing Kiko Alonzo for Antonie Bethea. I doubt even Baalke would fix his mouth for such an offer. But I always stop reading these mocks when I see Sam Bradford's name
I like it except for the Kaep trade. call me crazy but I would really like to see what he can do in chip's offense
i like the different approach and i think for the most part its good but i disagree with a few parts that are key. first off where is everyone getting this idea that jimmie ward can play safety. his position was called safety in college just cause they used him close to the line an covering slot receivers. the dude is 195 freaking pounds he cannot play safety in the NFL he will get run over!! im not even gonna mention his performance so far, if he doesnt have a GREAT year this year he will fit the bust label. players taken in the first round are taken that early because they dont take 4 years to develop. another player baalke reached too high form. also the idea of not improving our RBs at all is scary. we all know hyde has proven to be injury prone and if mike davis is our best guy behind him thats a huge mistake. were gonna need to pickup at least one RB via FA or draft on in the first 3 rds. i wouldnt be surprised if WR gets some attention too but i like the idea of baalke focusing on our lines first this offseason then getting skill players after that an next year. we did that pre harbaugh an look at the dominating lines that created. we need to get back to that, that is where games are won an lost.
Geek...have to say I enjoyed reading all that...very interesting. You're one of the first to not advocate for Ian Williams...and I applaud you for that. He's a good player...but he hardly displays the dominance we need at the NT position. Like you, I'm very high on Vernon Butler, whose stock is sure to continue rising as we get closer to the draft. I've been saying all off-season the DL has to be a priority...because if it's not upgraded, any pass rushers they add will have limited value. The reason both DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller were so successful in 2015 is due largely to their strong and deep DL. That's what the Niners will have to get back to, because everything else on defense feeds off what the front 3 does (or as it happened in 2015, what they don't do). I'd add NT Damon Harrison from the Jets...dude is a true big-time run-stuffer, which would give Butler time to adjust to the NFL.

I'll have to admit, I'm not that keen on Bradford...part of that is probably due to his injury history, but one thing I definitely agree with is Kap's future in SF is gone. He really needs a change of scenery. The team responded very well to Gabbert and they'd likely do the same with Bradford...both are very positive guys and could thrive in Kelly's system. One change I'd make is to either sign a FA or draft a stud RB...Hyde needs some help and a good-sized RB with receiving skills would achieve that. I think Harris is worth keeping because of his elusiveness in open space, but another banger who can catch would be great. I get they're planning for an increased role from Hayne, but he's still unproven as a RB. One FA option could be Matt Forte...he's got significant mileage on him, but as a #2 RB wouldn't be taking the pounding he got in Chicago and he's an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Overall, I like your approach...I'm a little leery of Wallace...because since he left the Steelers, he's been kind of average. Like you say, though, paired with Torrey Smith, it'd give defenses another speedster to deal with and give Torrey some much-needed relief from double teams. Escobar hasn't been that productive, but sometimes a change of scenery can help a player get back on track. I like our young trio of TE's...not sure how much Escobar would really add.
Why are we wanting to trade kaep ..if you notice we hired a coach who wanted kaep ....we need Myles jack then Michael Thomas out of Ohio state ..trade kaep trade kaep it is ridiculous ..maybe it we had a coach who played to kaep strength and not his weakness ...one side not maybe if baalke had a better draft on wr we would not be in this situation...5 straight years and we still need a wr
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
Why are we wanting to trade kaep ..if you notice we hired a coach who wanted kaep ....we need Myles jack then Michael Thomas out of Ohio state ..trade kaep trade kaep it is ridiculous ..maybe it we had a coach who played to kaep strength and not his weakness ...one side not maybe if baalke had a better draft on wr we would not be in this situation...5 straight years and we still need a wr

Kelly never said that about Kap
It was a rumor but if you think about it the two top candidates for the job were Jackson and kelly ..if we were really giving up on kaep .mike we be hired .me personally I am not ready to give up on kaep .i think a good coach gets players who fit the scheme ..look at young when he took over the team

Originally posted by 15crabtree:
.maybe it we had a coach who played to kaep strength and not his weakness

What the hell does this garbage even mean? We opened the season with a ton of pistol formation, zone read, stretch runs to help out the zone read even more, boots to create half-field reads, and simplified the playbook. What else does that bum need? You can't run an offense where the QB exclusively runs the ball. This is the NFL.

Please stop perpetuating this fallacy of "if kap had an offense that played to his strengths".

Trade that bum. I like this mock.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 12, 2016 at 11:54 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Geek...have to say I enjoyed reading all that...very interesting. You're one of the first to not advocate for Ian Williams...and I applaud you for that. He's a good player...but he hardly displays the dominance we need at the NT position. Like you, I'm very high on Vernon Butler, whose stock is sure to continue rising as we get closer to the draft. I've been saying all off-season the DL has to be a priority...because if it's not upgraded, any pass rushers they add will have limited value. The reason both DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller were so successful in 2015 is due largely to their strong and deep DL. That's what the Niners will have to get back to, because everything else on defense feeds off what the front 3 does (or as it happened in 2015, what they don't do). I'd add NT Damon Harrison from the Jets...dude is a true big-time run-stuffer, which would give Butler time to adjust to the NFL.

I'll have to admit, I'm not that keen on Bradford...part of that is probably due to his injury history, but one thing I definitely agree with is Kap's future in SF is gone. He really needs a change of scenery. The team responded very well to Gabbert and they'd likely do the same with Bradford...both are very positive guys and could thrive in Kelly's system. One change I'd make is to either sign a FA or draft a stud RB...Hyde needs some help and a good-sized RB with receiving skills would achieve that. I think Harris is worth keeping because of his elusiveness in open space, but another banger who can catch would be great. I get they're planning for an increased role from Hayne, but he's still unproven as a RB. One FA option could be Matt Forte...he's got significant mileage on him, but as a #2 RB wouldn't be taking the pounding he got in Chicago and he's an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Overall, I like your approach...I'm a little leery of Wallace...because since he left the Steelers, he's been kind of average. Like you say, though, paired with Torrey Smith, it'd give defenses another speedster to deal with and give Torrey some much-needed relief from double teams. Escobar hasn't been that productive, but sometimes a change of scenery can help a player get back on track. I like our young trio of TE's...not sure how much Escobar would really add.

Candidly, I'm not all thrilled about Bradford as well. But he can run the offense. He proved it last year. And Gabbert can be a VERY good fit in Kelly's scheme. So a battle between those two with Adams in the mix gives us some options at the very least to have a functioning offense.

Totally agree about your concern on the RB position. It's an area of concern. But Hyde should be good to go. Davis will be healthy and showed some flashes last season. Harris will compete for a spot. We can easily re-sign Draughn. Mix in a rookie, and I think we'd be okay.

But I like Bilal, Forte, Ivery, and a few others available. If we can get em for cheap, sign em.
Put Payton or Brady in the pistol offense see what happens also kaep does not have a true wr ..see what happened to cam no wr ...Brady has gronk & Payton has d Thomas & e sanders
Good mock, except for The Bradford pick up
Aside from the proposed trade for Bethea, trying to sign Bradford, and drafting two centers, this is a great plan of attack. Nicely done, GEEK!
Share 49ersWebzone