LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

DTG Mock 2

Good mock and well organized.

Von and Wilkerson are close to impossible

Buckner would be a very good pick
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You can forget Von Miller...with Peyton retiring (not official yet, but very likely), the Broncs will spend big bucks to keep the SB MVP. There are a couple of his teammates who'd be excellent additions, DE Malik Jackson & ILB Danny Trevathan. I'd love to get Wilkerson, but he'll be one of the biggest fish in this year's FA pool, hence the Jackson signing. Bradford's camp wants huge bucks & Baalke's not going to spend that kind of money on him. I'm also not sold on Ian Williams...he's a good player, but think there are better options at NT. One is Jets NT Damon Harrison, a beastly run-stuffer...something we just don't have on our DL now. We got gashed way too much in 2015. Not sure Boone leaves...the team has the money to keep him and his versatility is very valuable.

As for the draft, if Baalke's going to take a DT/NT, he shouldn't wait 'til rd 6, IMHO. There are some dandies worth grabbing much earlier, like Andrew Billings, Vernon Butler, either of the 'Bama brutes (Reed & Robinson). I don't see a QB...something Baalke's almost sure to do. I like most of your players, though.

All of those DT/NTs will be gone in the first two rounds. Williams was the 9th ranked NT in football and will be re-signed. Therefore, DE is much more of a priority than NT is. Grab a Buckner, Robinson, Bullard in the 1st or Butler in the 2nd to play DE, not NT. Williams is solid and graded well in every category we needed him to; our upgrade needs to come at the end spot, pass rush or ILB with that early pick.
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm on the Vernon butler bandwagon he can play all over the line and would be a steal in the 2nd...spence in the 1st and butler in the 2nd

This. Perfect scenario if we don't get Jackson in FA
  • crew
  • Veteran
You can forget Von Miller...with Peyton retiring (not official yet, but very likely), the Broncs will spend big bucks to keep the SB MVP. There are a couple of his teammates who'd be excellent additions, DE Malik Jackson & ILB Danny Trevathan. I'd love to get Wilkerson, but he'll be one of the biggest fish in this year's FA pool, hence the Jackson signing. Bradford's camp wants huge bucks & Baalke's not going to spend that kind of money on him. I'm also not sold on Ian Williams...he's a good player, but think there are better options at NT. One is Jets NT Damon Harrison, a beastly run-stuffer...something we just don't have on our DL now. We got gashed way too much in 2015. Not sure Boone leaves...the team has the money to keep him and his versatility is very valuable.

As for the draft, if Baalke's going to take a DT/NT, he shouldn't wait 'til rd 6, IMHO. There are some dandies worth grabbing much earlier, like Andrew Billings, Vernon Butler, either of the 'Bama brutes (Reed & Robinson). I don't see a QB...something Baalke's almost sure to do. I like most of your players, though.

I'm on the Vernon butler bandwagon he can play all over the line and would be a steal in the 2nd...spence in the 1st and butler in the 2nd

Agree on Butler... Spence/Buckner in 1st, Vernon Butler in 2nd would be my choices. Also like Nick Martin in the 3rd, CJ Prosise and Prescott in the 4th.
FA - Malik Jackson, Osemele, Marvin Jones
Originally posted by crew:

Agree on Butler... Spence/Buckner in 1st, Vernon Butler in 2nd would be my choices. Also like Nick Martin in the 3rd, CJ Prosise and Prescott in the 4th.
FA - Malik Jackson, Osemele, Marvin Jones

boom! Instant upgrade
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't like this mock at all. Zoners complained last year when we took Armstead instead of Marcus Peters, so why make the same mistake again by drafting Buckner? The Niners need to get a big hit at #7, and Buckner is not that guy. Spense would be that kind of pick, Jack would be that kind of pick and a QB would certainly make an impact long term.

I love Noah spence too, but Is this a joke? First of all, Buckner was better than armstead when they were both at Oregon, and last year he put himself in another class. Armstead never had production in College like Buckner, so trying to draw a comparison is pointless. Buckner is a significantly better player.

Second, interior pass rush > edge pass rush. Nothing disrupts a qb more than pressure in his face. Not only that, but Buckner will command many double teams. If Buckner and armstead are both commanding doubles, other guys, like lynch, are getting excellent match ups.

Buckner is #1a on my board and Noah Spence is #1b

This ^^ just because they both played for OU and are the same size doesn't mean they are close to the same player...AA should have stayed another year IMO and was more raw than Buckner coming out of the draft (hence he lasted until the 17th pick not top 10).

Like you said Buckner brought it to another level this year and is the best pure 3-4 DE in the draft and it's not really close. This time last year I didn't think there would be anyway we'd be able to draft this guy! We'd be lucky as hell to grab Buckner or Spence in the first IMO.

No this is not a joke. Buckner is a great prospect and many experts agree with you. However, there is a ton of depth in the draft on the d line where the Niners can still get a good player even in the fourth round. I would take Spense, Jack or a QB because they are head and shoulders above any other prospects at those positions outside of the first round. Just my thought process in the big picture.
Don't like this mock at all. Zoners complained last year when we took Armstead instead of Marcus Peters, so why make the same mistake again by drafting Buckner? The Niners need to get a big hit at #7, and Buckner is not that guy. Spense would be that kind of pick, Jack would be that kind of pick and a QB would certainly make an impact long term.

I love Noah spence too, but Is this a joke? First of all, Buckner was better than armstead when they were both at Oregon, and last year he put himself in another class. Armstead never had production in College like Buckner, so trying to draw a comparison is pointless. Buckner is a significantly better player.

Second, interior pass rush > edge pass rush. Nothing disrupts a qb more than pressure in his face. Not only that, but Buckner will command many double teams. If Buckner and armstead are both commanding doubles, other guys, like lynch, are getting excellent match ups.

This ^^ just because they both played for OU and are the same size doesn't mean they are close to the same player...AA should have stayed another year IMO and was more raw than Buckner coming out of the draft (hence he lasted until the 17th pick not top 10).

Like you said Buckner brought it to another level this year and is the best pure 3-4 DE in the draft and it's not really close. This time last year I didn't think there would be anyway we'd be able to draft this guy! We'd be lucky as hell to grab Buckner or Spence in the first IMO.

No this is not a joke. Buckner is a great prospect and many experts agree with you. However, there is a ton of depth in the draft on the d line where the Niners can still get a good player even in the fourth round. I would take Spense, Jack or a QB because they are head and shoulders above any other prospects at those positions outside of the first round. Just my thought process in the big picture.

All depends on who would be a better long term, and immediate, impact player. Buckner is considered an unusually gifted DL who can cause havoc and push the pocket against elite competition. Spense is a great talent with a huge red flag. I don't see Baalke taking that risk in the first--maybe the second--and I see Spense slipping to the second for this same reason. There are several good pass rushing possibilities for the mid to late first round (Ogbah and Lawson among them).

Fair enough I'd rather go spence over Buckner as well,but I would be happy with either to be honest. I just didn't agree with what you said about it being a mistake drafting Buckner based on AA...Buckner IMO is the best 3-4 DE in college and is by far more polished then AA was coming out.

I'd be cool with spence in the first and butler in the 2nd, but I wouldn't hate Buckner in th first at all.
My heart started going faster with your first two picks.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Nice mock. But Spence most definitely won't see the 2nd round, and doubt seriously that Scooby Wright falls to the 4th.

You are likely correct, but my hope (not projected in the mock) is that the niners move around a lot in this draft to target players. But there are only a couple of guys who are immediate pass rush help so the team may be relying on the young guys already on the roster.
Yeah, I hope we move back up into the first to get and ILB. I don't do trade in my mocks either. Just too unpredictable, so I mock as if we're drafting every spot. But this draft I'm hoping that Baalke is really aggressive in the draft. In FA the only ones I'm hoping we can land is Wisniewski and Wilkerson. Von Miller is just gonna be too expensive. I mean, we're gonna have to over pay for somebody. But his price tag is already gonna be sky-high. But considering the piece of work our FO is Von is gonna demand a Ft. Knox. But Wisniewski and Wilkerson, even if we have to over pay a little (we can afford it), will really put this team back in the hunt.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Spence won't fall that far

Or Wright or Allen or Ochi or Kearse. I would be super excited if it did fall like this and they are all very good players but would be some extreme luck to get a draft haul like that.

Generally, I try to keep the picks within ten spots on major boards, usually CBS. My reasoning is that they can trade to move around if they really like a guy and moving up ten spots in the 4th or 5th round isn't that expensive. I added CBS's board numbers to the mock and there are a couple of players who may be gone. Also forgot to change centers from my first mock. Tuerk is lean and may be more a Kelly type OL.

Edit: already addressed Spense, but I believe it's possible for him to fall. Just need another few news reports like the Johnny Manziel items for teams to get more conservative.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Yeah, I hope we move back up into the first to get and ILB. I don't do trade in my mocks either. Just too unpredictable, so I mock as if we're drafting every spot. But this draft I'm hoping that Baalke is really aggressive in the draft. In FA the only ones I'm hoping we can land is Wisniewski and Wilkerson. Von Miller is just gonna be too expensive. I mean, we're gonna have to over pay for somebody. But his price tag is already gonna be sky-high. But considering the piece of work our FO is Von is gonna demand a Ft. Knox. But Wisniewski and Wilkerson, even if we have to over pay a little (we can afford it), will really put this team back in the hunt.

I've debated moving back in the first to grab both Ragland and Spense...but the team needs a sure bet impact player and Buckner seems more likely to be that guy. I could see them moving up with their second round pick to grab either Ragland or Spence...or Lawson...or...

Fair enough I'd rather go spence over Buckner as well,but I would be happy with either to be honest. I just didn't agree with what you said about it being a mistake drafting Buckner based on AA...Buckner IMO is the best 3-4 DE in college and is by far more polished then AA was coming out.

I'd be cool with spence in the first and butler in the 2nd, but I wouldn't hate Buckner in th first at all.

Fair enough about the AA comparison. Hindsight is always 20-20. Good discussion.

Fair enough about the AA comparison. Hindsight is always 20-20. Good discussion.

Yup gonna be a much different off season compared to last year....I hope
  • Homer
  • Veteran
If we got Spence, Buckner, and Scooby in the draft and targeted your target FA's I would consider it my favorite off season of any professional team I've ever been a fan of. Can you imagine that draft + Von Miller, we'd make the playoffs. We could have two defensive lineups and keep them both fresh. Unfortunately I don't think those guys I mentioned will be available when we pick. Nice work though. We're def on the same page in terms of building up the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone