LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 191 users in the forums

DTG Mock 2

DTG Mock 2: After the SB

Assumptions
Looking for potential impact players in free agency and the draft. Kelly decides to work with Kaepernick and Gabbert. No trades assumed. Assumes FA OGs and OC are signed. Ian Williams resigns. Boldin resigns. Boone leaves.

FA Targets—(age)—hope to get a couple of these guys:
  • Denver D…OK?
  • RT Schraeder (28), Falcons—need to shore up the right side of the OL if Davis is still iffy.
  • OG Osemele (27), Ravens—played LT due to injury need, versatile, younger better than Boone.
  • OC Wisniewski (27), Jaguars—need to shore up the middle of this line.
  • ILB Trevathan (26), Denver--may be an affordable acquisition.
  • OLB Von Miller (27), Denver? Too expensive or franchised?
  • DT/DE Muhammad Wilkerson (27), Jets—expensive upgrade if they don't draft Buckner.
  • QB Bradford (28), Eagles—Kelly may want competition and liked what he saw?

DRAFT [CBS Ranking--added]

R1.7 [8]: DeForest Buckner, DL, Oregon, 6'7" 290—bookend with Armstead making the DL an elite unit.

R2.37 [22]: OK...you've all convinced me Noah Spence won't fall this far, if at all.
R2.37 [37]: Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas St., 6'4" 300--is he suited for Kelly's system? Very sound fundmentally.

R3.74 [93]: Kenny Lawler, WR, Cal, 6'2" 195—long arms, doesn't mind contact, spectacular catches.

R4.106 [114]: Scooby Wright III, ILB, Arizona, 6'0" 246—injury pushes him down the board. Instinctive and quick recognition offset lack of anchor ability?

R4.133 [129] (comp): Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota, 5'11" 198—solid all-around DB.

R5.142 [147] (comp): Max Tuerk, C, USC, 6-5 285 (edit from Allen--forgot to make change from first mock)

R5.146 [170 ](own): Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook, 6-2 250 (small school guy, lacks quick twitch but…?)

R5.174 [152] (comp): Jayron Kearse, SS, Clemson, 6-4 220—competes with Tartt to replace Bethea, playmaker

R6.181 [176] (T-Dallas):Leon Allen, RB, W Kentucky, 5-11 235 (IR?) (1550 run, 450 receiving yards as Junior)

R6.209 [181] (T-Denver): D.J. Reader, DT, Clemson, 6'3" 340—huge guy with good feet, NT.

R6.211 [217] (comp): Chris Brown, WR, ND, 6'2" 180—speed and consistent routes offer potential.

R6.213 [212] (comp): Ka'imi Fairbairn, K, UCLA, 6'0" 183—won the Lou Groza Award.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 10, 2016 at 4:56 PM ]
Spence won't fall that far
Nice mock draft.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Or Wright or Allen or Ochi or Kearse. I would be super excited if it did fall like this and they are all very good players but would be some extreme luck to get a draft haul like that.
Not a bad mock but I just don't think it's realistic. I think Miller and Wilkerson are getting tagged so to me those are both long shots. No way would want Bradford. Major pass of that move. I just don't Spence outside of the 1st round. Especially when pass rushers aren't in abundance in this draft. And another issue is if they do get Wilkerson and resign Williams then who plays once Buckner is added into the fold? Or are you moving them to a 4-3? Or looking for extra d line quality due to Chips fast paced offense?
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM ]
No way Spence goes in the 2nd if we want him it's gonna be with the 7th pick in the draft. Wright isn't gonna be around in the 4th either. I'm kinda confused with you're FA board...so those are players you'd like to target, but you don't say who we should realistically get...that would help change around your draft because I don't see one OL taken?

Love the players you went after but highly doubt a lot of them will be there.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Or Wright or Allen or Ochi or Kearse. I would be super excited if it did fall like this and they are all very good players but would be some extreme luck to get a draft haul like that.

Other than Spence I used the CBS board to rationalize the picks. Character could push Spense down to the second, but after the SB it is less likely! Another demonstration that good pass rushers matter.

However, if they can consolidate picks to move up they may get most of the top guys in this mock. Another way of looking at a draft, but it would be way too time comsuming, is to separate out potential FAs and picks. For instance, if they sign Wilkerson they won't draft Buckner, etc. That would make Spense more likely higher...though not #7. So a trade back possibility.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not a bad mock but I just don't think it's realistic. I think Miller and Wilkerson are getting tagged (1*) so to me those are both long shots. No way would want Bradford. Major pass (2*) of that move. I just don't Spence outside of the 1st round ()3*. Especially when pass rushers aren't in abundance in this draft. And another issue is if they do get Wilkerson and resign Williams then who plays once Buckner is added into the fold? Or are you moving them to a 4-3? Or looking for extra d line quality due to Chips fast paced offense?

1* These are possibilities under FA signings, not my idea of what will happen. If they are tagged then obviously the cap money goes elsewhere. If not Wilkerson, then one of the Denver FAs is another option...note I mentioned Wilkerson if they "don't draft Buckner."

2* Bradford is on the list because Kelly liked him enough to pick him up in Philadelphia. If he really liked what he saw then...

3* It will be interesting to see where Spense goes, and I think a lot of where he goes will depend on interviews. If he can sell himself he will stay in the first round. If he doesn't represent himself well he may fall.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Nice mock draft.

Thank you!
Don't like this mock at all. Zoners complained last year when we took Armstead instead of Marcus Peters, so why make the same mistake again by drafting Buckner? The Niners need to get a big hit at #7, and Buckner is not that guy. Spense would be that kind of pick, Jack would be that kind of pick and a QB would certainly make an impact long term.

I agree with most of the posters that you're a round late on most of the prospects and Miller/Wilkerson are not even remotely possible free agent targets. Good ideas on the picks from a need standpoint.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not a bad mock but I just don't think it's realistic. I think Miller and Wilkerson are getting tagged (1*) so to me those are both long shots. No way would want Bradford. Major pass (2*) of that move. I just don't Spence outside of the 1st round ()3*. Especially when pass rushers aren't in abundance in this draft. And another issue is if they do get Wilkerson and resign Williams then who plays once Buckner is added into the fold? Or are you moving them to a 4-3? Or looking for extra d line quality due to Chips fast paced offense?

1* These are possibilities under FA signings, not my idea of what will happen. If they are tagged then obviously the cap money goes elsewhere. If not Wilkerson, then one of the Denver FAs is another option...or they draft Buckner.

2* Bradford is on the list because Kelly liked him enough to pick him up in Philadelphia. If he really liked what he saw then...

3* It will be interesting to see where Spense goes, and I think a lot of where he goes will depend on interviews. If he can sell himself he will stay in the first round. If he doesn't represent himself well he may fall.

Bradford is looking for cash well outside of what he's worth and he's not gonna get that in SF...he's not getting backup money like it sounds like you want to get him for...

Spence isn't making out of the top 15 and probably doesn't get past CHI. Outside of QB and LT a stud pass rusher is probably the most important position in football and he's the best one in the draft IMO.

Just from everything I've read on the kid he's turned everything around and welcomes drug testing...I'm down with Buckner or spence at 7 but unless we are trading picks it's not very likely we land both.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't like this mock at all. Zoners complained last year when we took Armstead instead of Marcus Peters, so why make the same mistake again by drafting Buckner? The Niners need to get a big hit at #7, and Buckner is not that guy. Spense would be that kind of pick, Jack would be that kind of pick and a QB would certainly make an impact long term.

I agree with most of the posters that you're a round late on most of the prospects and Miller/Wilkerson are not even remotely possible free agent targets. Good ideas on the picks from a need standpoint.

I wasn't one of the complainers. The team is loaded with good DBs and it is far from a need in comparision to other areas. I haven't seen may boards rating Spense and Jack ahead of Buckner, but you may be correct...time will tell. I used CBS but Maddog rates Bucker higher than CBS does (#3 and #8 respectively).

The thing about FAs is that no one knows where teams see themselves. Wilkerson may not be touchable, but if the niners can pick him up he immediately opens up the draft for another area...Treadwell as an example.

Edit: CBS moved Jack badk up to #5 assuming he gets a clear medical on his knee.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:01 AM ]
Nice mock. But Spence most definitely won't see the 2nd round, and doubt seriously that Scooby Wright falls to the 4th.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Nice mock. But Spence most definitely won't see the 2nd round, and doubt seriously that Scooby Wright falls to the 4th.

You are likely correct, but my hope (not projected in the mock) is that the niners move around a lot in this draft to target players. But there are only a couple of guys who are immediate pass rush help so the team may be relying on the young guys already on the roster.
in love with buckner, therefore A+
Share 49ersWebzone