There are 256 users in the forums

Vernon Butler Louisiana Tech DT

he's 6-3 has 34 1/8 inch arms and weights 309 LBs

This guy had been creating buzz all week at the Senior bowl and is moving up the boards. I've been watching a lot of tape of him and he could be a steal in the 2nd round!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/vernon-butler?id=2555243

STRENGTHS Long-­armed knee-bender who can play the role of low man at the point of attack. Plays with strong hands and good arm extension and can "peek­a­boo" both gaps as he reads which hole the running back heads for. Impressive stack and shed timing and power. Able to eat up double teams and keep his linebackers clean when asked to. Excellent athleticism. Can make plays all along the line of scrimmage. If blocker doesn't finish, Butler will work himself back into the play. Able to coordinate hands and feet smoothly and has change of direction and closing burst to become a dominant pass rusher from inside. Can slide from gap to gap as a pass rusher and is a perfect fit for twist-­based defense. Generally attacks gaps with forward lean and ability to corner the edge when he has his man beat. Can stutter-­step into pass rush to disrupt offensive lineman's timing or generate a speed-­to-­power bull rush that can severely dent a pocket. Gives consistent effort and plays like a lead dog looking to eat.

WEAKNESSES Build is athletic, but a little bit top heavy. Will play with inconsistent base when his pad level gets too high trying to win through the gaps. Will try to outmuscle his opponent when his initial pass rush gets stuck in neutral, rather than use counter moves. For all of his potential and talent, wasn't as productive as NFL scouts are used to. Plays with some wasted energy and motion and needs to work more efficiently.

NFL COMPARISON Muhammad Wilkerson

BOTTOM LINE Athletic interior lineman with long arms and outstanding athleticism that allows him to work on offensive linemen with a combination of power and quickness. Butler has a raw but diverse skillset as a pass rusher that should excite NFL evaluators who see the potential of what he can be with more coaching and experience. With his effort and defensive ball awareness, his ceiling appears to be high with a chance to become a high-­level starter for an odd or even front defense.

Here are what some of the scouts are saying:

Louisiana Tech DT Vernon Butler "moves like he's 290 pounds", per ESPN's Todd McShay, despite having weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 325. http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/134623/vernon-butler

NFL Media analyst Chase Goodbread believes scouts will "fall in love" with Louisiana Tech DT Vernon Butler.

NFL.com's team of draft analysts worked over their favorite Senior Bowl sleepers, with Goodbread latching onto former Bulldog Butler. He noted that "[Butler]'s athletic, powerful, and would have held his own just fine in a Power Five conference." In 2015, the 6-foot-3, 309-pound stalwart registered 50 tackles (10 for loss) and three sacks on his way to picking up All-Conference USA first-team honors. He posted very similar numbers in 2014. It's not impossible to envision Butler cracking the first round if he impresses through the process.http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/134623/vernon-butler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1999382/vernon-butler

COMPARES TO: Johnathan Hankins, New York Giants - Both Hankins and Butler have the quickness and point of attack power to push the pocket to give blockers all they can handle.

IN OUR VIEW: Butler lined up all over Louisiana Tech's multiple front, spending most of his time at three- and five-technique spots and moving inside to nose tackle in passing situations. He flashes on tape with the lower-body athleticism and upper-body power to stack blockers and make stops at or behind the line of scrimmage (23.5 tackles for loss as a starter).

Butler plays balanced on his feet with coordinated movements, but needs to improve his pad level to better clear single blockers when not squared up. Although he needs to develop his pass rush technique, Butler will appeal to both even and odd fronts with his relentless playing temperament, lateral quickness and power to control the point of attack.

Thoughts??
Nice prospect
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice prospect

If he's sitting there in the 2nd and we didn't get Buckner or a top tier DL in FA id be all over him!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Nice prospect

If he's sitting there in the 2nd and we didn't get Buckner or a top tier DL in FA id be all over him!

Pretty much this. He bullies people at the POA and would be great in a two gapping scheme. Imagine a draft with Myles Jack and Vernon Butler.
Originally posted by shmuck:
Nice prospect

Pretty much this. He bullies people at the POA and would be great in a two gapping scheme. Imagine a draft with Myles Jack and Vernon Butler.

I would love that! I'd throw out grabbing spence or jack in the 1st and butler in the 2nd would be huge.
Nice prospect

I would love that! I'd throw out grabbing spence or jack in the 1st and butler in the 2nd would be huge.

I'd be "All-In" provided we fix out OLine in FA. And there are some gems there to do it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Nice prospect

I'd be "All-In" provided we fix out OLine in FA. And there are some gems there to do it.

I think the big "what if" is Davis coming back...like you said there are some find FAs at OL and I actually hope Baalke opens the wallet.
In a rather deep group for the position in the draft he's one of my favorites. Would love to have him.
Originally posted by Mdizzle27:
In a rather deep group for the position in the draft he's one of my favorites. Would love to have him.

yup same here...he's got the strength and long arms that both chip and Baalke like...it would be a no-brainer if they don't go DL in the 1st or grab a top tier player in FA.

My only issue is he might not make it to us in the 2nd. Here's a couple clips.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/vernon-butler-vs-western-kentucky-2015/

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/vernon-butler-vs-arkansas-state-2015/
Nice prospect

I'm down with this plan

Sounding like he's not gonna make it to us in the 2nd

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/134623/vernon-butler

Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Louisiana Tech DT Vernon Butler as the No. 18 overall prospect in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Butler posted 50 tackles, 10 TFL and three sacks on his way to All-Conference USA first-team honors last year. "Butler moves differently than most interior defensive linemen," Norris wrote. "He can be slippery on counter moves or off the snap, even at 6'4/325 lbs. Butler has displayed the ability to win through his opponent and around them. Don't go too far with this comparison, but Butler can win in the same ways as Mo Wilkerson." Butler didn't make Norris' first Big Board but impressed our analyst at the Senior Bowl. Feb 9 - 1:10 PM
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
This Silent Assasin and UCLA's Kenny Clark are two players Im hoping we can both land in the 2nd round!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
This Silent Assasin and UCLA's Kenny Clark are two players Im hoping we can both land in the 2nd round!!

Chris jones is a player to watch in the 2nd as well...really like butler though
Agree...he was very impressive in the Senior Bowl. He's a good example of what our DL needs to look like. Right now, we're light years from what we were just a couple of seasons ago. That has to change, and quickly. Another guy who should get a long look is Baylor NT Andrew Billings...I know the term beast is thrown around a lot, but it truly fits this guy. He's strong as an ox and has amazing quickness for his size.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Nice prospect

I think the big "what if" is Davis coming back...like you said there are some find FAs at OL and I actually hope Baalke opens the wallet.

I'm w/you on that one for sure.

I'm really hoping for 2 FA for the OLine. Schwartz, Wisniewski would be excellent. IMO, Mack will want to go to a SB contender.

Getting a Pass Rusher opposite side of Lynch would help a great deal.

Like you said - the big question is IF Baalke will spend the bucks.
Share 49ersWebzone