There are 205 users in the forums

MBA Mock Offseason 4.0 Post All Star games

With our coaching staff in place and all star games completed, this is my fourth attempt at a mock draft/offseason. The draft is based on NFL Draft Scout's current rankings as of 2/4 and include comp picks as predicted by Niners Nation.com.

Free Agents

Marvin Jones WR - Hometown boy with a chance to be our #1 receiver

Kelechi Osemele OG - Replacement for Boone; biggest money free agent acquistion

Brandon Boykins CB played under Kelly and flourished with him.

Malik Jackson DT - With Miller blowing up on the Super Bowl, there is only so much money to go around. Looks more like an option now. (Add on)

Resign/Retain

Ian Williams - probably our best defender the last half of the season. No reason not to resign.
Garrett Celek
Antoine Bethea - he still has one good year left in him
Shaun Draughn or DeJuan Harris

Cuts

Ahmad Brooks
Eric Pears
Glen Dorsey

I think Alex Boone walks for money from somewhere else. I hope the Niners trade Kaep, but dont' know what people will give up for him at this point.

Round 1 Jared Goff 6'4" 210 lbs QB Cal - Browns reach for Wentz and Cowboys dumb enough not to take him. Falls to us at #7
Round 2 Germian Ifedi 6'5" 325 lbs OL Texas A&M - toss up between him and Jason Spriggs; went for the guy with more size
Round 3 Adophus Washington 6'4" 297 lbs DE Ohio St - Need some d line depth and someone who can be disruptive on the inside.
Round 4 Victor Ochi 6'1" 244 lbs OLB Stonybrook - designated pass rusher on 3rd down.
Round 4 Comp Joe Schobert 6'1" 236 lbs LB Wisconsin - moving him inside (Mike Iupati)
Round 5 (Chargers) Malcolm Mitchell 5'11" 194 lbs WR Georgia - need another WR to potentially supplant Patton or Ellington off the roster
Round 5 Graham Glasgow 6'5" 302 lbs OC/G Michigan - depth on the interior line
Round 5 Comp Jurell Adams 6'5" 244 lbs TE South Carolina - may not last to this point, but a big, fast receiving target. (Perrish Cox)
Round 6 (Cowboys) Aaron Green 5'11" 203 lbs RB TCU - Third down back and general depth
Round 6 (Broncos) D.J. Reader 6'3" 340 lbs NT Clemson - rock in the middle to spell Ian Williams
Round 6 Comp Brandon Allen 6'2" 221 lbs QB Arkansas - QB depth to compete with Dylan Thompson for #3; CBS thinks Adams will still be available...I don't.
Round 6 Comp Johnathan Jones 5'9" 178 lbs CB Auburn - Showed well at Senior Bowl; can play slot so Jimmy Ward can move to FS.

Last two comps based on Frank Gore and Dan Skuta signing elsewhere.

Your thoughts..................
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 9, 2016 at 7:15 AM ]
Not bad. Would like to throw a DL in there in FA and to address the pass rush a little more
realistic FA which is nice...not sure Baalke busts out the wallet for a OG though.

If Goff is sitting there then hell ya! I don't see it happening though, do you think Davis is coming back? I think he is and I think I would pass on Ifedi in the 2nd.

I'm starting to jump on the Vernon Butler bandwagon in the 2nd dude is a beast and carries his weight well at 324. He played all over the line and would be a steal in the 2nd.

I like the Victor Ochi pick, but I thinking he'll be around later than the 4th (based on measurables and competition).
I would like to address pass rush more though.

all in all not too shabby
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With our coaching staff in place and all star games completed, this is my fourth attempt at a mock draft/offseason. The draft is based on NFL Draft Scout's current rankings as of 2/4 and include comp picks as predicted by Niners Nation.com.

Free Agents

Resign/Retain

Ian Williams - probably our best defender the last half of the season. No reason not to resign.
Garrett Celek

Cuts

Ahmad Brooks
Eric Pears
Glen Dorsey

I think Alex Boone walks for money from somewhere else. I hope the Niners trade Kaep, but dont' know what people will give up for him at this point.

Round 1 Jared Goff 6'4" 210 lbs QB Cal - Browns reach for Wentz and Cowboys dumb enough not to take him. Falls to us at #7
Round 2 Germian Ifedi 6'5" 325 lbs OL Texas A&M - toss up between him and Jason Spriggs; went for the guy with more size
Round 3 Adophus Washington 6'4" 297 lbs DE Ohio St - Need some d line depth and someone who can be disruptive on the inside.
Round 4 Victor Ochi 6'1" 244 lbs OLB Stonybrook - designated pass rusher on 3rd down.
Round 4 Comp Joe Schobert 6'1" 236 lbs LB Wisconsin - moving him inside (Mike Iupati)
Round 5 (Chargers) Malcolm Mitchell 5'11" 194 lbs WR Georgia - need another WR to potentially supplant Patton or Ellington off the roster
Round 5 Comp Jurell Adams 6'5" 244 lbs TE South Carolina - may not last to this point, but a big, fast receiving target. (Perrish Cox)
Round 6 (Cowboys) Aaron Green 5'11" 203 lbs RB TCU - Third down back and general depth
Round 6 (Broncos) D.J. Reader 6'3" 340 lbs NT Clemson - rock in the middle to spell Ian Williams
Round 6 Comp Brandon Allen 6'2" 221 lbs QB Arkansas - QB depth to compete with Dylan Thompson for #3; CBS thinks Adams will still be available...I don't.
Round 6 Comp Johnathan Jones 5'9" 178 lbs CB Auburn - Showed well at Senior Bowl; can play slot so Jimmy Ward can move to FS.

I like Joe Schobert but I don't think he will move to guard.
Originally posted by Andra:

not to mention he would have to gain about 50 pounds
throw in oliver vernon and im all for it! i think marvin jones would fit kelly's system nicely
Kelly traded away Boykin so I don't see that happening.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
Kelly traded away Boykin so I don't see that happening.

Plus Boykins thinks Chip is racist.
Originally posted by Andra:

Free Agents

Resign/Retain

Garrett Celek

Cuts

Ahmad Brooks
Eric Pears
Glen Dorsey

You misunderstood. Schobert will become an ILB. The comp pick is from the Cardinals signing Mike Iupati. All of the comp picks have the name of the free agent signings attached to them.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:36 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
realistic FA which is nice...not sure Baalke busts out the wallet for a OG though.

If Goff is sitting there then hell ya! I don't see it happening though, do you think Davis is coming back? I think he is and I think I would pass on Ifedi in the 2nd.

I'm starting to jump on the Vernon Butler bandwagon in the 2nd dude is a beast and carries his weight well at 324. He played all over the line and would be a steal in the 2nd.

I like the Victor Ochi pick, but I thinking he'll be around later than the 4th (based on measurables and competition).

Like Ochi as well, probably would have to grab him with the 4th RD comp pick, maybe even earlier in the 4th.

• Andra
  • Veteran
You misunderstood. Schobert will become an ILB. The comp pick is from the Cardinals signing Mike Iupati. All of the comp picks have the name of the free agent signings attached to them.

My bad. Though I like Schobert as a OLB
Switch Mitchell with McRoberts

Just like Chip has to make some changes to get better, maybe Baalke will also change it up. Having a young road grader next to Staley would be a wise investment. If A. Davis comes back and assumes his RT duties, I still think the Niners need to invest in the o line early. Then they could pick someone like Butler in round 2 and come back with a Josh Garnett or Sebastian Tretola in round 3.

Speaking of the pass rush, Carradine is still on the roster and was slimming down at the end of the year to become more of an OLB. With Lynch, Harold, Ochi and Tank, they should have it covered. Another late round pick or UDFA like McCallister from Florida would be a good insurance policy.

Just like Chip has to make some changes to get better, maybe Baalke will also change it up. Having a young road grader next to Staley would be a wise investment. If A. Davis comes back and assumes his RT duties, I still think the Niners need to invest in the o line early. Then they could pick someone like Butler in round 2 and come back with a Josh Garnett or Sebastian Tretola in round 3.

Speaking of the pass rush, Carradine is still on the roster and was slimming down at the end of the year to become more of an OLB. With Lynch, Harold, Ochi and Tank, they should have it covered. Another late round pick or UDFA like McCallister from Florida would be a good insurance policy.

I'd rather go the FA route for OL help and focus on defense in the draft. Give me spence in the first and butler in the 2nd...I don't see a ton of top defensive FA coming here either.
When is a guy born in LA that went to beautiful Etiwanda High School in Rancho Cucamonga any where near being a hometown guy? If he was from southern Oregon you would have a more valid statement.

Love the draft except for the 1st pick, but Goofy poo is slowly growing on me.
Share 49ersWebzone