LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 199 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2016 NFL Draft Best Board Top 50 and Draft Board by Position

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Jared Goff and Sterling Sheppard

Good combo. Upgrade at both positions. Shepard may end up an early third. Don't think he is cracking the top 50 picks.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
DeForest Buckner isn't on Baylor but very solid list. I like that you have Bullard in the top 15, I think he is a stud. What do you like about Dodd over Lawson and Doctson over Treadwell? Just curious. Great list!

Funny I had Buckner on Baylor. Thanks for the catch. I have watched about 10 games of Buckner and Bullard and grade them as the top two interior DL in the NFl draft, which is funny because both are probably going to end up as DE's. Simply unstoppable on the interior. Impact on nearly every play. Motor on every play.

Dodd's play kept improving as the year went along. He was terrific against Alabama, Started seeing as many double teams as Lawson toward the back end of the year, and is a better run stopper. Lawson has a tendency to give up when pulling guards come around the corner. Wonder if he has a shoulder injury, or is simply not a guy who is willing to take on blockers who pull. Overall, both guys are terrific players. I could end up reversing the order. Very close to call.

Doctson simply more productive than Treadwell. Without his injury, he would have dwarfed Treadwell's numbers in 2015. Treadwell had only six 100 yard games in 2015, in 13 contests. Doctson had six 100 yard games in 10 contests, and 200 more yards in three less games. I just think he has a slight advantage at this point. That being said, I love how Treadwell is committed to blocking. Both boys are not afraid to get at it with corners.

This...Doctson is the real deal and the best of the WRs
Is Shepard a slot guy in NFL? Who does he compare to at the next level? I see an Algohlor with better hands. i love Shepard. Do you think he will be able to fill out his frame a little? Hes pretty explosive, right?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Who do you see being the more dominant pass rusher, Spence or Bosa? Obviously you feel Bosa is the better all around prospect based on your ranking.

That is correct. Right now, Spence is all about speed around the edge. He will need to work on counter moves at the next level. but the athleticism is undeniable. Bosa simply disruptive against the run and pass. Had fewer sacks, but so many hits.

Ho do you see Spence comparing to Aldon when Aldon was coming into the draft? Thanks for all the work you do MadDog.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM ]
MD, appreciate all your work.

I'm glad to see you have Josh Perry as a 1st/2nd range. All of the reports I've read on him looks like he's got Willis level maturity, oh, and he looks like a good ball player too.

Him do you think hed fit next to Bowman covering TE as an ILB?
This is such a good Defensive draft. I'm excited to see this draft class in the NFL. I expect big things from Ramsey, VHIII, Jack, Smith, Buckner and Spence.
Think you are right on the money but go out on a limb and project what you think we should do in our position. Should we go O line , pass rusher or should we take a risk at QB?
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Is Shepard a slot guy in NFL? Who does he compare to at the next level? I see an Algohlor with better hands. i love Shepard. Do you think he will be able to fill out his frame a little? Hes pretty explosive, right?

He is a bit like Tyler Lockett. Same height, about ten pounds heavier. Excellent route runner. Gets separation. Probably best in the slot, but can play outside. Not as dynamic as Lockett, but super productive.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Ho do you see Spence comparing to Aldon when Aldon was coming into the draft? Thanks for all the work you do MadDog.

Aldon had the heavy hands to go with speed around the corner. Spence has more speed, but is less powerful. Aldon also carries a bigger body. With so many teams throwing a ton these days, it puts a premium to find edge rushers who can quickly get upfield. Spence will be the most dynamic of the pass rushers from this draft. He is more athletic in reverse than Aldon, and should be able to drop in coverage better. Not as stout in run defense.
Originally posted by Butter:
MD, appreciate all your work.

I'm glad to see you have Josh Perry as a 1st/2nd range. All of the reports I've read on him looks like he's got Willis level maturity, oh, and he looks like a good ball player too.

Him do you think hed fit next to Bowman covering TE as an ILB?

Met Perry last year here in the Columbus area at a BJ's Pizza. He and his family were a table from us. Local kid, nice kid, great family. Lot of love in that family, maturity, stability. Kid is a winner. He is an interesting player as a 43 OLB or 34 ILB. Plug and play starter in the NFL. Going to be a late second rounder. Teams will love interviewing him at the combine.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
This is such a good Defensive draft. I'm excited to see this draft class in the NFL. I expect big things from Ramsey, VHIII, Jack, Smith, Buckner and Spence.

Really outstanding defensive draft. A lot of analysts are pumped about the DT class, but I think the DE and OLB trumps them. Not going to be see many drafts with guys like Mack and Smith and Spence, or DE's like Bosa, Buckner, Dodd, Lawson, Bullard. I think most of the DT's have some question marks to their game which leaves me asking myself which guy will emerge as the best. Rankins? Billings? Reed? Robinson? Clark? Good depth for sure, but dynamic impact? When I watched a ton of their games, I saw flashes of greatness, but not the consistent greatness of the top tiered players.

As for the CB class, Ramsey is so athletic that he sleepwalks through games. If he gets beat by a step or two, he closes immediately. He plays too high, but can still lower himself and explode. But, CBs are always tough to judge, and often teams burn first rounders on guys that simply aren't great players.
Originally posted by Hacksaw:
Think you are right on the money but go out on a limb and project what you think we should do in our position. Should we go O line , pass rusher or should we take a risk at QB?

Still early in the game, but the Niners are in a great position at number 7. I don't see any scenario where Bosa is on the board at 7, and seriously doubt Tunsil will be on the board as well. So, I'll take those two off. What is left potentially? Two good QBs, a monster stud 34 DE, an explosive edge rusher, a technically superior pass protection LT prospect, two amazingly athletic outside/inside backers, and a hybrid CB/safety that has unbelievable athleticism. Three or four of these guys will be on the board when the team picks. Since the NFL and NBA are similar in draft philosophy: big and athletic beats small and athletic, my guess is that the draft will shake out like this: 1. QB goes first in a trade-up. 2. Bosa. 3. Tunsil 4. Second QB 5. Buckner 6. Stanley 7. That would leave the OLB's and Ramsey.

In the above scenario, the Niners are left with three great options at OLB/ILB, but all have question marks about their physicals and off the field issues (Spence) or going with Ramsey.
Couple additional notes:

1. A lot of people try to compare Joey Bosa with JJ Watt. Not a good comparison. Watt is so much bigger than Bosa. Here is the comparison. Bosa is Jared Allen, and that is not a bad player to be matched up with.

2. The best JJ Watt impersonation is Buckner. He is not as athletic or dynamic as Watt, but he is not that far behind. The guy has the complete package. On nearly every play he is disruptive. That is Watt. If the league is ready for Watt 2.0, its best shot is Buckner. Can't wait to see him at the combine. He is going to blow it up.
Great work MD. thanks.
Couple additional notes:

1. A lot of people try to compare Joey Bosa with JJ Watt. Not a good comparison. Watt is so much bigger than Bosa. Here is the comparison. Bosa is Jared Allen, and that is not a bad player to be matched up with.

2. The best JJ Watt impersonation is Buckner. He is not as athletic or dynamic as Watt, but he is not that far behind. The guy has the complete package. On nearly every play he is disruptive. That is Watt. If the league is ready for Watt 2.0, its best shot is Buckner. Can't wait to see him at the combine. He is going to blow it up.

I absolutely agree with that. I think a lot of the comparisons come from Bosa's relentless motor and strength to hold up in the run game but I can see the Patrick Kerney and Jared Allen comparisons to a T.
Share 49ersWebzone