LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Mock draft 3.0

Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
The so called experts
Originally posted by WildBill:
These so called experts often go with what they did in college and the combines and their numbers. Very rarely do they take into account the team and what they run scheme wise or prefer in a player. While you are correct that a LB does not have to be 250/260 to be successful, the point is that the niners usually prefer theirs bigger as well as athletic. We all know now that Baalke (and supposedly Kelly
I sa
These so called experts often go with what they did in college and the combines and their numbers. Very rarely do they take into account the team and what they run scheme wise or prefer in a player. While you are correct that a LB does not have to be 250/260 to be successful, the point is that the niners usually prefer theirs bigger as well as athletic. We all know now that Baalke (and supposedly Kelly have similar traits that they look for in a player) likes big hands, long wing span, bigger players, but I am sure that there are other traits as well not yet revealed.[/quote

I say again junior GMs and so called experts the patrol the site telling everyone exactly where each player is getting drafted at and which player is better than who. None of us know $hit! Unless there's an actual GM on here. And if you are a real GM you don't know $hit either because you all pick flops every year. Plenty of real GMs thought Leaf was better than manning. They thought they were right just like all of you guys studying 40 times and seeing if a guy has loose hips. Everyone has there favorite players they shove into their mock drafts and we're all going to be wrong. Balke prefers projects to sure things so he can show everyone how smart he is just like you guys!

I never said I was an expert, just a feeling, based on previous drafts the niners have done under Baalke. As I said before, whatever the zone says, expect it to pretty much not to happen. The only one where the has come closest when Baalke managed the draft was Davis and Iupati and Reid. The rest AJ, Aldon, etc. took people by surprise.

And if you are going post your mock, people are going to critique it, so why get in a huff? If you can't stand it why do it? Sure thing, is easy when either not on the hot seat or building for an actual coach. Just cause one player succeeds or fails on one team is no guarantee that he will on another.
Doesn't matter trevathon is to good for Balke to consider bringing to the niners. Who did he bring in last year. The 100th ranked tackle (pears), the 60th ranked guard (Devey) and the 90th ranked CB. I wasn't a fan of bringing Torrey Smith in last year we weren't going to win last year with all our losses and he kept all our young guys from playing. What smith catch like 30 balls last year. By the time we get the other pieces to fit around him he will be too old.

Completely agree with this. Baalke was 4 seasons too late on bringing in a legitimate deep speed receiver. The offensive line he assembled couldn't protect long enough to even incorporate intermediate routes let alone long developing deep routes. The offensive line went from dominating to disgraceful in just 2 seasons. Baalke claims to a big fan of running the ball yet doesn't believe in paying for elite guards? that makes zero sense. Guards are probably the most vital position after center in regards to a successful run game. Also evident by the fact that they have no answer for inside pressure. Obvious double A gap blitzes and inside stunts have been absolutely embarrassing to watch. Fix the damned line? Fix the damned GM.
We have to have someone that is playing as a rookie. When is jaylon projected to be healthy?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What's wrong with having him play a postion thats best for his talents and a position we need help at?? I like Danny T but drafting smith with a rookie contact makes much more sense to me at ILB.

Also having some one who's not naturally 245-250 could take away from his speed which is what makes him special. He's simply not strong enough to take on big OT in the NFL. He's got great instincts, coverage ability, side line to side line speed, and is a good tackle which are perfect intangibles for a 3 down ILB.

Last I checked Baalke doesn't control snap counts that's our coaching staff...harbs and Vic were known for not letting the young players actually play not Baalke.

Doesn't matter trevathon is to good for Balke to consider bringing to the niners. Who did he bring in last year. The 100th ranked tackle (pears), the 60th ranked guard (Devey) and the 90th ranked CB. I wasn't a fan of bringing Torrey Smith in last year we weren't going to win last year with all our losses and he kept all our young guys from playing. What smith catch like 30 balls last year. By the time we get the other pieces to fit around him he will be too old.

Huh? Pears was never suppose to be a starter he was brought in to be a backup but was forced to start because Davis "retired" for a season. Go look back at out cap space when FA started we were at the bottom of the list and had no money to spend until people decided to retire and all the good prospects were gone (Plus they need cap space for Aldon smith).

We needed speed and Baalke can't draft WRs or at least hasn't done well thus far so they brought in the best WR in FA that was available in Torrey smith. We had 6 young CBs that were rookies or 2nd year players what's the point in drafting them if your gonna keep adding vets? You were just complaining that Baalke wasn't playing the rookie but now you want top FAs to take their spots lol??

And what the hell are you talking about being too old smith is 26 man lol.

You complain about one thing then completely change what your complaining about in the next comment..id love Danny T and if they did get him there is no point in drafting smith because he's a ILB...it totally negates your issues with Baalke drafting players then not playing them smh.

He doesn't take critique kindly and doesn't consider all the facts, he is one of those that blames Baalke for everything. Doesn't consider the coaches don't do their jobs (which of course you can blame Baalke and Jed for that), but as the past shows, Baalke has done a good (not great job) of getting the talent and when the coaches do their job they win. Could he have done better sure, but if you look at the patriots draft and every single player they drafted and players that they brought in, they are not so great, what makes them great is the one thing-Brady. Take away him and watch the pats fall big time.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Completely agree with this. Baalke was 4 seasons too late on bringing in a legitimate deep speed receiver. The offensive line he assembled couldn't protect long enough to even incorporate intermediate routes let alone long developing deep routes. The offensive line went from dominating to disgraceful in just 2 seasons. Baalke claims to a big fan of running the ball yet doesn't believe in paying for elite guards? that makes zero sense. Guards are probably the most vital position after center in regards to a successful run game. Also evident by the fact that they have no answer for inside pressure. Obvious double A gap blitzes and inside stunts have been absolutely embarrassing to watch. Fix the damned line? Fix the damned GM.

Davis sitting out/ retirement-compounded that error. I am sure that, had he had known priror to FA, he would have kept Iuapati. Davis didn't say anything until after the draft did he? So how could he look for linemen in the draft. Plus, where are you going to get the money? We were barely under the cap. So as the GM-tell me how do you sign to get the guys with no money. Retirement of Borland and Willis and the release of Aldon-didn't help, they ate up and accelerated the cap hit last year making it worse. Again where are you going to get the money? The reason we have so much room this year is because partly of this. Plus Kilgore, they thought he would be back by a certain time, but it kept getting pushed back. Not that I like it, but there were so many things that caved last year that got them undone.

I am not an expert-but things like this, I would think every niner fan would take into account.
He doesn't take critique kindly and doesn't consider all the facts, he is one of those that blames Baalke for everything. Doesn't consider the coaches don't do their jobs (which of course you can blame Baalke and Jed for that), but as the past shows, Baalke has done a good (not great job) of getting the talent and when the coaches do their job they win. Could he have done better sure, but if you look at the patriots draft and every single player they drafted and players that they brought in, they are not so great, what makes them great is the one thing-Brady. Take away him and watch the pats fall big time.

I don't care about critiques or preferring different players, it's the junior GMs that get on here and guarantee where players are going. Like I said none of us not $hit everyone post their wish list. I wished for Marcus peters last year but he wasn't good enough for us. I wished for us to take a WR the last 2 years when wrs deep but we passed and took one in the 6th round. They weren't that deep. Whatever our biggest need is every year we never address it til the late rounds. Our corners should all be backups but we will ignore it again this year. I'm surprised he doesn't trade all our picks for 6th rounders. We don't know $hit but we all knew our coach was going to suck last year. Last year was a wasted year. We made our team worse as the year went on.
What's wrong with having him play a postion thats best for his talents and a position we need help at?? I like Danny T but drafting smith with a rookie contact makes much more sense to me at ILB.

Also having some one who's not naturally 245-250 could take away from his speed which is what makes him special. He's simply not strong enough to take on big OT in the NFL. He's got great instincts, coverage ability, side line to side line speed, and is a good tackle which are perfect intangibles for a 3 down ILB.

Last I checked Baalke doesn't control snap counts that's our coaching staff...harbs and Vic were known for not letting the young players actually play not Baalke.

Huh? Pears was never suppose to be a starter he was brought in to be a backup but was forced to start because Davis "retired" for a season. Go look back at out cap space when FA started we were at the bottom of the list and had no money to spend until people decided to retire and all the good prospects were gone (Plus they need cap space for Aldon smith).

We needed speed and Baalke can't draft WRs or at least hasn't done well thus far so they brought in the best WR in FA that was available in Torrey smith. We had 6 young CBs that were rookies or 2nd year players what's the point in drafting them if your gonna keep adding vets? You were just complaining that Baalke wasn't playing the rookie but now you want top FAs to take their spots lol??

And what the hell are you talking about being too old smith is 26 man lol.

You complain about one thing then completely change what your complaining about in the next comment..id love Danny T and if they did get him there is no point in drafting smith because he's a ILB...it totally negates your issues with Baalke drafting players then not playing them smh.

No sense posting a mock if you can't take some criticism

I never said I hated bringing in danny T or drafting smith just don't see the point of grabbing both? They are both great ILBs IMO.

Also blaming Trent gets old...didn't hear anyone b***hing when we were going to NFC championships and a SB plus to think he's responsible for players snap counts is crazy...maybe just maybe that's a reason Jim and him butt heads because Jim wasnt devolving the younger guys.
I don't care about critiques or preferring different players, it's the junior GMs that get on here and guarantee where players are going. Like I said none of us not $hit everyone post their wish list. I wished for Marcus peters last year but he wasn't good enough for us. I wished for us to take a WR the last 2 years when wrs deep but we passed and took one in the 6th round. They weren't that deep. Whatever our biggest need is every year we never address it til the late rounds. Our corners should all be backups but we will ignore it again this year. I'm surprised he doesn't trade all our picks for 6th rounders. We don't know $hit but we all knew our coach was going to suck last year. Last year was a wasted year. We made our team worse as the year went on.

How come your not a "junior GM" your concluding that smith is a OLB why is your opionion more valid then someone else's?

Smith has 4 career sacks and only 1 last year that doesn't sound like a 1st round OLB to me. He did have multiple games with double digit tackles and is good in coverage sounds like a 3 down ILB too me.

And what are you talking about Baalke not drafting what we need? We needed a 3-4 DE and drafted one of the better ones, we had 6 CBs on the team most were rookies or 2nd year players why can't we see what they can do like you complain about earlier ( not letting our rookies play). We needed a safety and he draft Reid in the first, we need pass rush and drafted Aldon in the first etc...
Don't understand the need to always trade back with a lot of the mock drafts on here. Niners have had quantity for the last 3 drafts and look where we are at? Time to start drafting smarter and get quality instead of quantity. There are some impact players in this draft and someone will slip to #7. No need to move back.

unfortunately this is pretty much all true. tons of talented WRs were available the past 2 years an we passed them all. we used a pick on a player like aj jenkins, disgraceful, emabrassing. torrey smith got here 2 years too late. our CBs ARE all backup material, brock is an average #2 CB at best yet they try to prop up this fake image that hes great by giving him a good contract. the guy shouldnt be our #1, but then again whenevr we get a CB to perform well baalke lets him go so i guess it doesnt matter baalke like our secondary to be a revolving door. its also sad that when we have a position that is clearly a top need for us they make sure to not address it in the first 3 rounds but but until after the 4th round. then draft players in rounds 1-3 who they dont even f**king let play in games, then cut them in a year or 2. piss poor management, whoever directed all this bs the past 5 years needs to be on their last chance this year.

Originally posted by stefano89:
unfortunately this is pretty much all true. tons of talented WRs were available the past 2 years an we passed them all. we used a pick on a player like aj jenkins, disgraceful, emabrassing. torrey smith got here 2 years too late. our CBs ARE all backup material, brock is an average #2 CB at best yet they try to prop up this fake image that hes great by giving him a good contract. the guy shouldnt be our #1, but then again whenevr we get a CB to perform well baalke lets him go so i guess it doesnt matter baalke like our secondary to be a revolving door. its also sad that when we have a position that is clearly a top need for us they make sure to not address it in the first 3 rounds but but until after the 4th round. then draft players in rounds 1-3 who they dont even f**king let play in games, then cut them in a year or 2. piss poor management, whoever directed all this bs the past 5 years needs to be on their last chance this year.

So Ward is backup material? 90% of our cbs are 2nd year players man...why was Torrey two years to late boldin was coming off back to back 1,000 yard seasons. It's been stated the Baalke wanted OBJ but didn't want to give up half of the draft for him.

This team for the past 5 years has been built from the inside out, pass rush makes the secondary better...why have we had top 10 pass defense but no "shut down" CB why? Pass rush and a strong middle of the field that's why.

We lost 20 players and 13 starters which has never happened before so yeah it was gonna be a bad season...that s**t never happens man.

One of the reasons our younger players haven't become studs is because harbs never played them! He rode our vets into retirement.

I'm guessing you weren't crying about Baalke when we were going to NFC championships and a SB for a couple seasons.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM ]
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Cody Whitehair will NEVER, i repeat NEVER make it to pick 37. I will be surprised if he gets past the Jets @ pick 20.

Cause you say so! Lol

No not because I say so but because there are 32 teams picking in the 1st round and Whitehair is the #1 guard in the draft. If you dont think that somebody wont take a guard in the 1st round then your being very nieve.

Look dude if you cant take some criticism dont post the mock.
[ Edited by amosmac28 on Feb 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM ]

How come your not a "junior GM" your concluding that smith is a OLB why is your opionion more valid then someone else's?

Smith has 4 career sacks and only 1 last year that doesn't sound like a 1st round OLB to me. He did have multiple games with double digit tackles and is good in coverage sounds like a 3 down ILB too me.

And what are you talking about Baalke not drafting what we need? We needed a 3-4 DE and drafted one of the better ones, we had 6 CBs on the team most were rookies or 2nd year players why can't we see what they can do like you complain about earlier ( not letting our rookies play). We needed a safety and he draft Reid in the first, we need pass rush and drafted Aldon in the first etc...

I was wondering the same thing. 3-4 OLB's for the 49ers are used as pass rushers more often than in coverage. Smith's strengths and size are just better suited to 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB. I love him as a 4-3 OLB and think that's probably a better fit than inside linebacker in a 3-4 because he's fantastic in space and in coverage. Forcing him to take on blockers almost every play is a waste of his talent in my opinion. I think the fact that Smith could play OLB in a 3-4 was mentioned to point out how versatile he is (which could increase his value to 3-4 teams) rather than because Zierlein expects a 3-4 team to potentially draft him to play OLB.

He's a good enough player that he could play any linebacker position at a high level, but I don't consider him a better 3-4 OLB prospect than Noah Spence (for our scheme at least) and he's projected to be taken before him. I consider him a much better 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB prospect than Spence.

Snap counts from PFF (thanks again to Niners99 for posting in the Niners forum):

Obviously, Smith is a different player than Brooks or Lynch, so we may use him differently at OLB (have him drop into coverage more often and possibly play more in nickel packages), but our OLB's are asked to blitz a lot more than 4-3 OLB's or 3-4 ILB's. I like the idea of drafting Smith or signing Trevathan to help address our coverage issues, but I'd prefer to add one guy to help out in coverage and another player to help out our pass rush. Smith didn't show much as a pass rusher at ND. If he has long arms, maybe he can put on weight and learn to become a pass rusher, but we'll have to wait for the combine to find out.
Cody Whitehair will NEVER, i repeat NEVER make it to pick 37. I will be surprised if he gets past the Jets @ pick 20.

Cause you say so! Lol

No not because I say so but because there are 32 teams picking in the 1st round and Whitehair is the #1 guard in the draft. If you dont think that somebody wont take a guard in the 1st round then your being very nieve.

Look dude if you cant take some criticism dont post the mock.

I could easily see Whitehair falling to 37. There doesn't need to be a guard taken in the 1st round. In my opinion, there aren't any guards worth a first round pick this year, but I could see a team looking to convert someone like Germain Ifedi back to guard which he also played in college. You also have no way of knowing whether Whitehair will remain the top ranked guard in the class. I'd be upset if the 49ers took him at 37 - I think that's too early.

CBS has Whitehair ranked 44th and Alexander ranked 50th for what it's worth. MadDog doesn't have a single guard in his top 50 prospects (not even Ifedi which is a little surprising to me). Calling Whitehair a lock to be picked in the first round or the first 37 picks is a little premature. And the word you're looking for is naive.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

I was wondering the same thing. 3-4 OLB's for the 49ers are used as pass rushers more often than in coverage. Smith's strengths and size are just better suited to 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB. I love him as a 4-3 OLB and think that's probably a better fit than inside linebacker in a 3-4 because he's fantastic in space and in coverage. Forcing him to take on blockers almost every play is a waste of his talent in my opinion. I think the fact that Smith could play OLB in a 3-4 was mentioned to point out how versatile he is (which could increase his value to 3-4 teams) rather than because Zierlein expects a 3-4 team to potentially draft him to play OLB.

He's a good enough player that he could play any linebacker position at a high level, but I don't consider him a better 3-4 OLB prospect than Noah Spence (for our scheme at least) and he's projected to be taken before him. I consider him a much better 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB prospect than Spence.

Snap counts from PFF (thanks again to Niners99 for posting in the Niners forum):

Obviously, Smith is a different player than Brooks or Lynch, so we may use him differently at OLB (have him drop into coverage more often and possibly play more in nickel packages), but our OLB's are asked to blitz a lot more than 4-3 OLB's or 3-4 ILB's. I like the idea of drafting Smith or signing Trevathan to help address our coverage issues, but I'd prefer to add one guy to help out in coverage and another player to help out our pass rush. Smith didn't show much as a pass rusher at ND. If he has long arms, maybe he can put on weight and learn to become a pass rusher, but we'll have to wait for the combine to find out.

Yup totally agree his best position would be a 4-3 OLB and yes he'd be a stud ILB for us as well...I have no problem drafting him as long as he's gonna be 100% but no reason drafting him and bringing in Danny t to play the same position either...he was saying he has some interest in playing for the Bears anyway.

IMO Brooks has to go or at the very least he's contract has to be restructured he's gonna be a paid like a top 5 OLB and he's not even close to that...I'm pumped to see what tank can do at his natural weight and hopefully Eli can put on like 10 lbs of muscle.
Share 49ersWebzone