LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Round 3 quarterback options

Originally posted by WildBill:

I know Goff is a zone favorite, but according to those who follow Chip, Goff doesn't seem a Kelly prototype. Not say he can't fair well in Kelly's system, just not a prototype.

according to who? Because Chip's own former scout (John middelkauf) said that he has no "prototype", and that Chip believes he can work with anyone from a Tom Brady to a Russell Wildom type aslong as they had two traits: accuracy and quick decision making.

goff is absolutely a fit for Chips system.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 14, 2016 at 7:52 AM ]
D
A
K
I don't think there is a "Round 3 qb" worth targeting in the third. Any qb that is confidently going to be available in the 3rd is not worth spending a 3rd round pick on. Look at the names people are listing (Cardale Jones, Dak Prescott, Jeff Driskell, etc.). Gabbert is a much better player and we don't need just a body to play the position.

After the top 4 qb's there's a big group of third day players that we can target with one of our multiple 6ths (Vernon Adams is probably the best bet given system fit). I guarantee you most of the names in this thread will go in the 6th to UDFA. A thread like this gets created every year and every year those "gems" are afterthoughts on draft day.

Anyone you take in the 3rd should be a starter or in the case of a quarterback atleast someone with solid potential to become a starter and everyone outside the top 4 will realistically be lucky to even be a career backup. It's a reason why there always seems to be a run on qb's in the first and then a lull until the 3rd day of the draft.

With the above said, there could be a quality qb that is available in the 3rd as drafts always end in a numbers game and an unforeseen player falling. It happens every year. Look at: Kirk Cousins, AJ McCarron, Matt Barkley, Bryce Petty in the 4th. All players were fringe first rounders at some point in the process, but fell due to a combo of numbers and concerns fleshed out during the draft process. To me, that player is Connor Cook and yes I would take him in the 3rd but anyone outside that top 4 would be a mistake taking before day 3.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Feb 14, 2016 at 8:02 AM ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I don't think there is a "Round 3 qb" worth targeting in the third. Any qb that is confidently going to be available in the 3rd is not worth spending a 3rd round pick on. Look at the names people are listing (Cardale Jones, Dak Prescott, Jeff Driskell, etc.). Gabbert is a much better player and we don't need just a body to play the position.

After the top 4 qb's there's a big group of third day players that we can target with one of our multiple 6ths (Vernon Adams is probably the best bet given system fit). I guarantee you most of the names in this thread will go in the 6th to UDFA. A thread like this gets created every year and every year those "gems" are afterthoughts on draft day.

Anyone you take in the 3rd should be a starter or in the case of a quarterback atleast someone with solid potential to become a starter and everyone outside the top 4 will realistically be lucky to even be a career backup. It's a reason why there always seems to be a run on qb's in the first and then a lull until the 3rd day of the draft.

With the above said, there could be a quality qb that is available in the 3rd as drafts always end in a numbers game and an unforeseen player falling. It happens every year. Look at: Kirk Cousins, AJ McCarron, Matt Barkley, Bryce Petty in the 4th. All players were fringe first rounders at some point in the process, but fell due to a combo of numbers and concerns fleshed out during the draft process. To me, that player is Connor Cook and yes I would take him in the 3rd but anyone outside that top 4 would be a mistake taking before day 3.

I think Prescott is a guy that they could work with. He has shown steady progress throughout his college career and he's one of the few mid round QBs that I think are worthwhile, a guy that at minimum I think could become a very good backup. Good character guy, respected leader, outstanding athlete with much improved pocket passing ability. If they dont take a QB early then he is the guy I would target to let him simply sit for a couple seasons.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM ]
You take a QB in round 3 to develop them. No one knew Russell Wilson was that good some guys just play better in the pros than they did in college. Brady sucked at Michigan he couldn't even keep the starting job. Just the fact that u guys say there's no QB worth taking in round 3 is ridiculous. That's where the GMs skill and the coaches skill comes into play. Bill Walsh said that a team should draft a QB every single year until they get one. And once u get one you keep drafting QBs.
Russ was actually pretty good in college. He could have been a first rounder if it weren't for his height.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Do not want a QB in the 3rd. Either we get one in the first or don't bother. This is not a particularly deep QB class. Outside of Goff, Lynch, Wentz, and maybe Cook, the talent level drops dramatically. So if we're gonna get a QB we had better get one in the 1st or don't bother wasting a pick on a guy that's gonna gobble up coaching attention from the coaches.

IMHO

Brandon Allen is better at playing QB than Lynch IMO and I don't see that much separating Cook and Allen besides Cook having the stronger arm. He won't get his due because his hands are a whole .5 inches smaller than you'd want them to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbFfXifWWXI
[ Edited by Chibamarines on Feb 14, 2016 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Mdizzle27:
Russ was actually pretty good in college. He could have been a first rounder if it weren't for his height.

Yeah, Russell was already really good at Wisconsin. I remember some scouts saying that if he were a couple inches taller, they'd have him ranked above Andrew Luck.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 14, 2016 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
You take a QB in round 3 to develop them. No one knew Russell Wilson was that good some guys just play better in the pros than they did in college. Brady sucked at Michigan he couldn't even keep the starting job. Just the fact that u guys say there's no QB worth taking in round 3 is ridiculous. That's where the GMs skill and the coaches skill comes into play. Bill Walsh said that a team should draft a QB every single year until they get one. And once u get one you keep drafting QBs.

You can't develop what isn't there. Wilson is a guy that was seen as a Top 10 prospect had he been a few inches taller. Nobody doubted that he had a whole lot of talent. The vast majority of QBs that get drafted late don't make it for the same reason that they were drafted late, they didn't have enough talent for the next level.

A QB can be a GREAT college player and a mediocre or worse prospect at the next level. There are guys who max out their abilities in college and just aren't suited for the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 14, 2016 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Adams isn't a round 3 prospect. The earliest he goes is in round 4 but more than likely 5 or lower. Prescott is an option in round 3

I have put it down in several threads that Adams, QB out of Oregon State is a lock to be drafted by kelly in round 4 if he is still on the board. I would be fine with this pick.

Adams looks like another of the smaller QB's who just doesn't have the size for the NFL...Prescott definitely does, and would be a natural in Kelly's offense and able to take the hits. He looked very good in the Senior Bowl and has made a ton of progress since early in the 2015 season.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Adams isn't a round 3 prospect. The earliest he goes is in round 4 but more than likely 5 or lower. Prescott is an option in round 3

I have put it down in several threads that Adams, QB out of Oregon State is a lock to be drafted by kelly in round 4 if he is still on the board. I would be fine with this pick.

I wouldn't mind at all if he was the pick with one of our 4ths, but definitely not in the 3rd with other players that could provide an immediate impact still on the board but I'd prefer Dak
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Feb 14, 2016 at 11:27 AM ]
Regardless if Baalke drafts a QB at 7, I say take a flier on Kevin Hogan in the later rounds. The Niners have so many picks, what could it hurt?
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
Cardale jones great QB but the OC didn't know how to use him last year
Hackenburg pocket passer that they the coach was trying to ruin his career
Vernon Adams most exciting of the later round options
Any other options

I like Cardale think he's a late rd sleeper
Wouldnt mind taking Adams in the 5th
Share 49ersWebzone