LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Round 3 quarterback options

Originally posted by WINiner:
You don't take QB's outside the 1st 2 rounds. Drafting a qb in the 3rd is a waste of a pick when you can draft a position that can actually positively impact your team. I'd rather take that 1 kicker than any QB still there in the 3rd.

yeah, that Montana guy was a wasted pick.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
Originally posted by WINiner:
You don't take QB's outside the 1st 2 rounds. Drafting a qb in the 3rd is a waste of a pick when you can draft a position that can actually positively impact your team. I'd rather take that 1 kicker than any QB still there in the 3rd.
Great qbs have been taken in every round didn't Montana go in the 3rd or something like that. Bill Walsh said you take a QB every single year until you get 1 and then you keep taking qbs. If we never draft any QBs how are we supposed to get 1. Montana, Brady, Wilson, Kurt Warner, Romo, it makes no sense to me not to draft QB's after round 2.

I agree with BOTH of you (which I know doesn't seem possible). When I read the original post by WINiner, I initially agreed and then instantly had the same thought as SFBuckeye lol. Actually I thought it was Ron Wolf that said you should take a qb in the draft every single year.

I strongly feel like if you are in need of a franchise qb, you only take those at the top of round 1. All or nothing. I don't want the 11th best qb prospect to be my hopeful savior. I want the top guy....period. It's too important of a position not to. That's why I will be SOOOOOOOOOO Pissed if we mess around in the 1st round and take another position because "we can make Blaine work" !!!!!!! I don't mind if we swing and miss, just gotta swing and odds are that we don't draft that high again for who knows how long.

I love the idea of taking a qb in the later rounds that you really like. A guy that has potential 1st round talent but slipped for some reason. Or a guy, like Tom Brady, that has the intangibles. But I do agree that at least the first 3 rounds should be impact players. You can get awesome lineman in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
Yea let's win the lottery again and see if we can find a diamond like Montana after round 2. Get over it guys, most successful qbs are taken within the first 2 rounds.
Would obviously love to find Montana again, but would settle with finding a Russell Wilson....Prescott maybe?
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Yea let's win the lottery again and see if we can find a diamond like Montana after round 2. Get over it guys, most successful qbs are taken within the first 2 rounds.

You can say that about every position.

With QBs, it comes down to talent and fitting a system. Cousins fits perfectly into Gruden's offense. Montana was a perfect WC QB for Walsh. Chip has such a unique offense that traditional passers may not be as effective as a zone-read dual threat guy.

Think about how well Tyrod Taylor could do in Chip's system. Taylor isn't all too different than Vernon Adams. Guys like him and Dak have a future if they have the desire, which they reportedly do, and they land into the right system.
Originally posted by strickac:
You can say that about every position.

With QBs, it comes down to talent and fitting a system. Cousins fits perfectly into Gruden's offense. Montana was a perfect WC QB for Walsh. Chip has such a unique offense that traditional passers may not be as effective as a zone-read dual threat guy.

Think about how well Tyrod Taylor could do in Chip's system. Taylor isn't all too different than Vernon Adams. Guys like him and Dak have a future if they have the desire, which they reportedly do, and they land into the right system.

QB's taken after the 3rd round have the lowest odds of ever taking a single NFL snap. Most of the time you're better off taking a kicker or a punter if you go by the #'s.

Cousins was one of the most successful 4th round QBs of the past 25 years ENTERING this past season, solely on the basis of having taken actual snaps.

As far as a guy like Taylor goes, it took him quite awhile to become a starter and its entirely possible that he regresses next season as teams catch on to his tendencies and attack his weaknesses after having a full season of tape on him. I'm not convinced that he'll be anything more than a one-year wonder. NFL defense are ruthless, look what happened to Foles after his incredible first season as a starter.

What you want ultimately is a guy with the fewest number of weaknesses, someone that doesn't have a whole bunch of limitations that you have to manage, a guy that has the necessary tools, physically and mentally, to eventually develop into a franchise QB. Its extraordinarily rare that you find those guys outside the first couple of rounds in the draft. NFL teams may not always develop these guys the right way but the scouts generally do a good job of identifying which QB's have the goods and which ones don't. Then it becomes a matter of extracting that talent which is a whole other hill of beans.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2016 at 8:50 AM ]
Do not want a QB in the 3rd. Either we get one in the first or don't bother. This is not a particularly deep QB class. Outside of Goff, Lynch, Wentz, and maybe Cook, the talent level drops dramatically. So if we're gonna get a QB we had better get one in the 1st or don't bother wasting a pick on a guy that's gonna gobble up coaching attention from the coaches.

IMHO
My boy Brissett
QB is going to be a crap shoot any round. There was Peyton and his counter was Leaf, there was Luck and there was his counter RG III, There was Cam and his Counter Gabbert and Locker and Ponder. there was Aaron and his counter Alex.

Although the odds maybe in your favor more with a high than low pick, doesn't mean it can't happen with a lower pick. I think it all depends on your situation. If you have the supporting cast of players, being able to groom rather than throw them in the fire. Like Aaron sitting behind Bret, Montana sitting behind Deberg, Young sitting behind Montana. Even Cousins sitting behind RG III. Plus, do you have not only a good OC but a QB whisperer. Walsh was one and hopefully Kelly is one also.

Even if you have a QB, you should always have an eye to the future because of injuries being able to resign.

I am pretty sure that no matter who/where we pick up a QB, they are going to sit at least one year behind Gabbert and Kaep or maybe two, play Gabbert this year then Kaep the next, then if the pick is ready, him.

If Kelly thinks Kaep is not the long term solution, but can at least resurrect his career, that will be a plus, lets our pick sit and learn and gives more value if you want to trade Kaep.

My own preference is to let Kelly figure it out if they (QBs) are worth a pick. If at all possible, I would like to trade back before taking Wentz or Goff. I know Goff is a zone favorite, but according to those who follow Chip, Goff doesn't seem a Kelly prototype. Not say he can't fair well in Kelly's system, just not a prototype. My guess is they are going to rebuild the defense, first through FA then through the Draft. If we get enough pieces to the puzzle in this FA period, then I can see us taking a stab on offense (with QB, WR, OL)
Originally posted by WildBill:
Goff doesn't seem a Kelly prototype. Not say he can't fair well in Kelly's system, just not a prototype.

I disagree. In terms of what his offense has been in the NFL, a short, quick passing offense, Goff would be a tremendous fit.

Kelly didnt trade for Bradford because the guy had dynamic athleticism but rather that he was a very accurate passer. If you hear Kelly talk about his philosophy on quarterbacks, what you will hear brought up repeatedly is "repetitive accuracy", the ability to consistently throw a well placed ball to allow playmakers to go and make plays. That is the basis of the Kelly passing attack. Get the ball into the hands of your playmakers and let them rack up yards after the catch.

You dont need to be a track star in his offense. You dont need a rocket arm in his offense. What you need to be able to do is make quick reads and get the ball out quickly and accurately.

Goff is an accurate passer with a quick release that has pretty good ball placement. I think he could absolutely thrive in a Chip Kelly offense if he was available and the 49ers opted to go that way.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2016 at 1:42 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I disagree. In terms of what his offense has been in the NFL, a short, quick passing offense, Goff would be a tremendous fit.

Kelly didnt trade for Bradford because the guy had dynamic athleticism but rather that he was a very accurate passer. If you hear Kelly talk about his philosophy on quarterbacks, what you will hear brought up repeatedly is "repetitive accuracy", the ability to consistently throw a well placed ball to allow playmakers to go and make plays. That is the basis of the Kelly passing attack. Get the ball into the hands of your playmakers and let them rack up yards after the catch.

You dont need to be a track star in his offense. You dont need a rocket arm in his offense. What you need to be able to do is make quick reads and get the ball out quickly and accurately.

Goff is an accurate passer with a quick release that has pretty good ball placement. I think he could absolutely thrive in a Chip Kelly offense if he was available and the 49ers opted to go that way.

All true, although it's also fair to say the jury is out on whether there are enough -- or any -- playmakers in the Niners' receiving corps...

My hunch is that Kelly/Baalke embark on renovating the team from the inside out, and concentrate on the OL and front 7, both in free agency and with the draft. Notwithstanding all the babble that Trent and Chip have to win big this year or face extinction, the inside out approach is really the best/only way that makes sense.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Feb 4, 2016 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
All true, although it's also fair to say the jury is out on whether there are enough -- or any -- playmakers in the Niners' receiving corps...

My hunch is that Kelly/Baalke embark on renovating the team from the inside out, and concentrate on the OL and front 7, both in free agency and with the draft. Notwithstanding all the babble that Trent and Chip have to win big this year or face extinction, the inside out approach is really the best/only way that makes sense.

Where do you hear this babble. I think Kelly will be given time to get it together with the 49ers. He certainly isn't going anywhere for a couple years.
The notion that Kelly needs and wants a dual threat QB to run his offense is one of the biggest misnomers in all of sports.
  • RedAu
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
The notion that Kelly needs and wants a dual threat QB to run his offense is one of the biggest misnomers in all of sports.

It's amazing how much virtual ink is spent saying the opposite. Kelly wants toughness and repetitive accuracy, plus quick presnap decisions. To me that is not Kaep or Bradford for that matter, so it stands ro reason that we'll target a qb in the draft
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because QBs have the worst hit rate of any position once you get into the later rounds. If you draft a safety, even if he cant play defense, maybe they can contribute on special teams.

Unless a QB is good enough to start, you get absolutely nothing out of them. The vast majority of QBs picked in the 3rd round or later will be with their team for 2 years or less and never take a single NFL snap with that team.

People focus on the outliers that made it but they are very far and few between.

Joe Montana was drafted in 1979....the next 3rd round QB to make a Pro Bowl was Russell Wilson...drafted in 2012.

I wouldnt be upset if they took a shot on a guy like Prescott who has been improving every single year but I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for him to develop into a top starter.

Even less so for a guylike Jones who mostly looked like crap save for a handful of good games, all while surrounded by elite talent all over that offense.

True, early-drafted QBs have historically had more success, but you can say that about every position. You can't app a blanket on it though. With Kelly's zone read a mobile QBs becomes more effective under center. He's even had success with Foles, who's been miserable in St Louis.

Here's a list of later-drafted QBs that started this season. It doesn't look like a All-Pro roster, but there's a handful of guys that are quality starters...

Tyrod Taylor, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Mallet, McCarren, Austin Davis, Mettenburger, Kellen Moore, Cousins, Wilson, Keenum.

By my count that's 4 guys playing at a Pro Bowl level with playoff contenders.
Share 49ersWebzone