LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Sims' Mock Draft 2.0

Originally posted by jersey49er:
very nice..i wouldn't be mad at all if it ended up like this..but if I can change a couple things I think I would try to sign a veteran OLB for a year bc im unsure Harold is ready (I hope im wrong) considering Spence will play a roll like Aldon did his rookie year..i like Boyd but personally if Doctson is there id rather him..and as for Kearse..id love the pick but will he really fall that much..? Love the Scooby and Prescott picks...but regardless my opinion..great work..

Thank you and great input. In all reality, I am hoping to sign Vernon in Free Agency but I doubt it happens. Therefore, I went about this draft with the mindset of the youngsters getting valuable playing time in 2016 and becoming a force in 2017. I'm a huge Doctson fan and was torn between him, Boyd and Thomas falling (wishful thinking) but in the end, I think Boyd can be special, especially in Chip's offense. As for Kearse, I think he can easily go in the 4th round a la Kam, and if he did I would go Lucas from Penn State here. But if Kearse is there, he has to be the pick as once he develops can become a key piece to our Dime package and covering the TE position.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I really like it! Would be perfect of you throw in some CB help and a veteran pass rusher

Who would you suggest as a veteran pass rusher? I really like our Corners as I believe with the addition of Spence, McCalister, Jackson and an emerging Tank (hopefully), our corners will look a lot better. Especially with Ward manning the slot, DJ and Brock starting on the outside and Reaser and Acker providing depth. I drafted Cyrus Jones in the 5th to help out but I was really looking for a taller-longer CB late but aside from Harlan Miller from Southern Louisiana, nobody really caught my eye.
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Feb 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM ]
Well done! I'm convinced Spence will go in top 10.

I wouldn't mind trading a 2016 3rd for a 2017 2nd like in years past.
Originally posted by genz22:

I honestly believe we will trade a few picks this year as I'd be shocked to see us draft 12 players but I was just trying to keep it as simple as possible. For instance, If Prescott boosts his stock a little more and he is more than likely going in the 3rd, I have no issues trading the 4th and our first pick in the 5th to slide up into the back half of the 3rd while collecting a late round pick next year. But I think Baalke will be focused on killing it this offseason and if the player they want is off the board, THEN trade back and collect a pick for next year. I just want to make sure we add about 10 solid players through Free Agency and the Draft this year. That will satisfy me
Love the value of your picks! Solid job and really realistic.
Originally posted by 49deeznutz:
Love the value of your picks! Solid job and really realistic.

Thank you
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by genz22:

I honestly believe we will trade a few picks this year as I'd be shocked to see us draft 12 players but I was just trying to keep it as simple as possible. For instance, If Prescott boosts his stock a little more and he is more than likely going in the 3rd, I have no issues trading the 4th and our first pick in the 5th to slide up into the back half of the 3rd while collecting a late round pick next year. But I think Baalke will be focused on killing it this offseason and if the player they want is off the board, THEN trade back and collect a pick for next year. I just want to make sure we add about 10 solid players through Free Agency and the Draft this year. That will satisfy me

I can see us wheeling and dealing for another 3rd rounder, those mid round picks can be bundled into a package, that could hopefully get us an additional 3rd or hopefully another 2nd ...I know its a stretch, but I'd be psyched if Trent scored us another pick in the 2nd or 3rd
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I can see us wheeling and dealing for another 3rd rounder, those mid round picks can be bundled into a package, that could hopefully get us an additional 3rd or hopefully another 2nd ...I know its a stretch, but I'd be psyched if Trent scored us another pick in the 2nd or 3rd

Absolutely. It's very possible and highly likely that we snag 4 of the top 100 prospects this year
Mock Draft:

1) OLB – Noah Spence / Eastern Kentucky 6-3/254: I am hooked that he is the best pass rusher in this draft and is exactly what we need on defense since we addressed our Dline already. I had us trading back to #20 for him but with the way he is shooting up the boards, it is best to just stay put and draft him here. He had an issue with ecstasy but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore and he would be exactly what Aldon Smith was his rookie year; a dominant situational pass rusher until he completely takes over the position in 2017.

2) WR – Tyler Boyd / Pittsburgh 6-2/200: Has the size Chip loves and the ability to become a #1 WR. Despite playing with three different QBs in his three years at Pitt, Boyd still put up 1,000 yards twice and over 900 yards this past season. Not a downfield threat but has great hands, attacks the ball, will get open in Chip's scheme, has been a very productive WR regardless of who his QB was and will be solid across from Torrey Smith.

3) ILB Scooby Wright / Arizona 6-0/240 – He could go at the end of the 2nd round to a team like Pittsburgh but I'm obviously hoping he doesn't. And because of his talent and playmaking ability, he is a must snag right here in order to add depth to that ILB unit with hopes that he can unseat Hodges this year.

4) QB – Dak Prescott / Mississippi State 6-2/226: Very athletic, strong enough arm and a playmaker; but more importantly, he has shown great improvement as a passer and could fit very well in Chip's offense. I would expect for him to sit his entire first year while we see what we have in Kap and Gabbert but Prescott could certainly challenge for that starting spot next year or at worst, become a quality back-up. He is projected as a 3rd to 4th rounder so he could be gone at this point but not much further than here so I feel comfortable projecting a realistic chance at drafting him early in the 4th.

4) OT – Le-Raven Clark / Texas Tech 6-6/312: CBS Sports has him slotted to go in the 4th round and believes he has what it takes to start in the NFL citing his quick set up, wide base, terrific knee bend and weight transfer. I was impressed with Brown at RT but competition is always a good thing. With Anthony Davis coming back and us signing Ronald Leary, I think we will have a solid competition across the board and ultimately slide AD to RG to have Tiller, Kilgore and Thomas compete for that LG slot with Leary.

5) SS – Jayron Kearse / Clemson 6-4/220: Kearse is projected to go late 4th-early 5th and with the Chargers early pick in the 5th and Baalke's love for drafting Safeties, Kearse makes a lot of sense. He has tremendous size at 6-4, bloodlines to former NFL players, Phillip Buchanon and Jevon Kearse, and great range. Will need to develop so he can make a name for himself on STs and play a larger role in a year or two when Bethea is done.

5) CB – Cyrus Jones / Alabama 5-10/196: Fiery competitor that has started on the one of the best defenses in the nation over the past couple of years. He also has great punt return value as he led the nation in yards while posting an impressive average. Adds a winning pedigree in an elite conference, depth to that nickel back position and competition (and at the least a solid back-up) to the return game.

5) OLB – Alex McCalister / Florida 6-5/240: Absolute stud rushing the passer. A little undersized and a reach at this point according to his 7th round projection but he has the frame to add a little more bulk and the talent to cause havoc so might as well grab our guy here. Drops because of character concerns.

6) RB – Tyler Ervin / San Jose St. 5-10/192: Small school prospect but very explosive. He can serve as the "Darren Sproles" type of back in Chip's offense. Elusive and quick out in space and can challenge Ellington as the kick and punt returner as he has 5 TD returns between the two. Despite his size, he was very successful running between the tackles in college. Competition is somewhat of an issue but he will not be an every down back for us, just a change of pace and third down back once he picks up the intricacies of pass protection from a RB.

6) DT – D.J. Reader / Clemson 6-3/340: Big boy to help man the middle in our 3-4 defense. Played on an elite defensive line unit with Clemson and can be a solid back-up in the run game for Williams. I expect a lot of Dline rotation this year so depth here is big.

6) TE – Jake McGee / Florida 6-5/252: Being a Gator fan and seeing Jake projected to go in this round, might as well grab him. We opt not to re-sign Celek and get Busta Anderson back but McGee is a natural TE that could put up solid numbers in Chip's offense when the opportunity comes. He has started in a run-heavy system so blocking is not too much of an issue.

6) K – Ka'imi Fairbairn / UCLA 6-0/183: Originally had us taking Roberto Aguayo in the 5th round but felt adding to our defense and special teams with Cyrus Jones gave us better value. However, Fairbairn is the 2nd best kicker in this draft and well worth taking at this point.

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB – Kap/Gabbert/Prescott

RB - Hyde/Harris/Ervin/Davis/Hayne
FB – Miller

LT – Staley/Clark
LG – Leary/Kilgore/Tiller/Thomas
C – Mack/Kilgore
RG – Davis/Tiller
RT – Brown/Clark

TE – McDonald/Bell/McGee/Anderson
WR – Smith/Boyd/Smelter/Patton/Ellington/Dres Anderson

Defense:

RDE – Jackson/Tank/Purcell
NT – Williams/Reader
LDE – Armstead/Dial

ROLB – Spence/Harold/McCalister
ILB – Wright/Hodges
ILB – Bowman/Hodges
LOLB – Lynch/McCalister

CB: Brock/Reaser
CB: Johnson/Acker
Slot: Ward/Jones

FS: Reid/Ward/McCray
SS: Bethea/Tartt/Kearse

Special Teams:

K – Fairbairn
P – Pinion
KR: Ellington/Ervin
PR: Ellington/Jones/Hayne

Not a fan of your cut list,Boldin,Clelek TJE,are players that should stick,Not a Fan of T Boyd,another Pitt receiver yuk, QB Prescott,No Thank you another Project yikes? we have enough CBs
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Not a fan of your cut list,Boldin,Clelek TJE,are players that should stick,Not a Fan of T Boyd,another Pitt receiver yuk, QB Prescott,No Thank you another Project yikes? we have enough CBs

Just a question what do you like about TJE

You have a much higher opinion of Ian Williams than I do...he's a good player, hardly elite. I'm assuming Armstead will start at one of the DE positions...he got enough PT his rookie season to make that jump, I'm thinking. Jackson would be a very good addition. That said, the DL's still got a ways to go to even come close to what we had just a couple of seasons ago. Armstead's got the right stuff, but he's still pretty inexperienced. Jackson's fine in terms of experience. I'd bring in Jets' NT Damon Harrison, largely because he's a beastly run-stopper. When Fangio had Ray Mac and Justin Smith book-ending Dorsey or Williams, it was ok. New DC O'Neil doesn't have that luxury, so a dominant NT is needed now. Our DL got gashed way too many times in 2015...that can't happen any more to get back to the playoffs. I've had hopes for Carradine, but so far he really hasn't shown much. Hopefully, he'll reach his potential under O'Neil. Still, I wouldn't pass up a DL early in this draft...its a very good one for them, so I'd draft one among Jarron Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, Buckner, NT Billings...they're all terrific players.

On offense, I'd try to come to terms with Boone...he was our best OL in 2015, for sure. He's got great versatility and is in his prime. I'd also keep Celek...he's the most experienced TE we have, and wouldn't be expensive. Not sure I'd draft Ervin when we already have Harris under contract. If Harris isn't in the team's long-term plans, the guy I'd draft is DeAndre Washington from Texas Tech. He's tough enough at 5-8, 200 to run between the tackles, but is also an outstanding receiver. Back-to-back 1000 yd seasons playing in Kliff Kingsbury's high octane offense should translate well to what Kelly runs for the Niners.

Overall, I really like your off-season program...I'd just make the changes I outlined above. Your off-season's head & shoulders above the vast majority I've seen so far. Nice job.
Nice mock. Very Balanced. Im also ok with Prescott as a project guy.

Agree Corva, this D Line rotation STILL needs upgrading. As much as Trent needs to nail this off season, I can easily see him going DL in the 1st.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You have a much higher opinion of Ian Williams than I do...he's a good player, hardly elite. I'm assuming Armstead will start at one of the DE positions...he got enough PT his rookie season to make that jump, I'm thinking. Jackson would be a very good addition. That said, the DL's still got a ways to go to even come close to what we had just a couple of seasons ago. Armstead's got the right stuff, but he's still pretty inexperienced. Jackson's fine in terms of experience. I'd bring in Jets' NT Damon Harrison, largely because he's a beastly run-stopper. When Fangio had Ray Mac and Justin Smith book-ending Dorsey or Williams, it was ok. New DC O'Neil doesn't have that luxury, so a dominant NT is needed now. Our DL got gashed way too many times in 2015...that can't happen any more to get back to the playoffs. I've had hopes for Carradine, but so far he really hasn't shown much. Hopefully, he'll reach his potential under O'Neil. Still, I wouldn't pass up a DL early in this draft...its a very good one for them, so I'd draft one among Jarron Reed, A'Shawn Robinson, Buckner, NT Billings...they're all terrific players.

On offense, I'd try to come to terms with Boone...he was our best OL in 2015, for sure. He's got great versatility and is in his prime. I'd also keep Celek...he's the most experienced TE we have, and wouldn't be expensive. Not sure I'd draft Ervin when we already have Harris under contract. If Harris isn't in the team's long-term plans, the guy I'd draft is DeAndre Washington from Texas Tech. He's tough enough at 5-8, 200 to run between the tackles, but is also an outstanding receiver. Back-to-back 1000 yd seasons playing in Kliff Kingsbury's high octane offense should translate well to what Kelly runs for the Niners.

Overall, I really like your off-season program...I'd just make the changes I outlined above. Your off-season's head & shoulders above the vast majority I've seen so far. Nice job.

Solid input, thank you. I'm just not as high on Celek as a lot are. He looked like our best TE while Vernon was the man but McDonald came on strong when he got his opportunties and put up better numbers this season than Celek has in his 4 years here with us, thus making Celek very expendable. I also think Anderson will have a larger role in Chip's offense as the heavy package that we needed 3 blocking TEs in will no longer be used nearly as much and if so, Jake McGee can more than handle the load.

I also went with Ervin because he is in a Sproles mold and was a stud return man in college. Harris and Ervin are brining two different aspects to the team with Harris getting the bulk of the load when Hyde needs a breather and Ervin bringing in that change of pace and return element to the team which we desperately need.

I really want to re-sign Boone as he is the best option at LG other than breaking the bank for Osemele but I just don't see it happening. I think someone will pay top dollar for him and that someone is more than likely not be Baalke. But if Baalke is willing to, I'd be more than happy with that.

I expect Armstead to start and be better than he was last year which was pretty solid IMO. I really like Williams and agree that we need to get someone who can help plug that middle and that is the reason for selecting Reader. A starter on Clemson's elite DL and a 340 NT being coached up by a very successful DL coach, I expect him to play and provide great depth for Williams.

I really want Buckner but think he will be gone right before us and I'm a huge fan of Bullard out of Florida but we will need to trade back, collect some extra picks and then take him because 7 is way too early
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I really like it! Would be perfect of you throw in some CB help and a veteran pass rusher

Who would you suggest as a veteran pass rusher? I really like our Corners as I believe with the addition of Spence, McCalister, Jackson and an emerging Tank (hopefully), our corners will look a lot better. Especially with Ward manning the slot, DJ and Brock starting on the outside and Reaser and Acker providing depth. I drafted Cyrus Jones in the 5th to help out but I was really looking for a taller-longer CB late but aside from Harlan Miller from Southern Louisiana, nobody really caught my eye.

someone like hali or irvin. Hali would be my favorite. He has a lot of years under his belt. I just dont know what kind of money he would command. There arent a lot of pass rushers on the market so he might cash in.

I am also a believer that Demarcus ware will be cut this season. He would be my favorite choice to bring in.

I think we would be fine with Harold, Spence, and Lynch but Lynch goes down we are in trouble. Plus you can never have too many pass rushers

You are right about the CBs though. They are solid. I guess if our pass rush is really good too then it will help out our corners
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Absolutely. It's very possible and highly likely that we snag 4 of the top 100 prospects this year

that would be a real score...this way we can add some homegrown impact players , and put a competitive team on the field next year
Share 49ersWebzone