LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Tyler Boyd WR Pitt

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Watched seven full games for Pitt in 2015, every snap, and here is what I think from Boyd: I have him graded as a late 3rd/early 4th. He will go before then. The main issue for Boyd is zero separation. He has to fight for every catch because he does not have the ability to separate effectively on a consistent basis. And, if separation is an issue at the college level, good luck in the NFL. Call me a skeptic on this cat to be anything more than a number three or four in the NFL

This. I noticed that watching the YouTube video.
Originally posted by 49deeznutz:
Can't believe nobody has made a thread on him. This guy is special and better be a 49er.

Just watch the video it speaks for itself.

Absolutely love this kid!! One of my favorite players in the draft. Goff in first and Boyd in the second will be the foundation of Chips offense for many years. Add in Swelter, Carlos Hyde and draft Kenyon Drake in the 4th round for a multi-dimension weapon to really threaten defenses!!
Watched seven full games for Pitt in 2015, every snap, and here is what I think from Boyd: I have him graded as a late 3rd/early 4th. He will go before then. The main issue for Boyd is zero separation. He has to fight for every catch because he does not have the ability to separate effectively on a consistent basis. And, if separation is an issue at the college level, good luck in the NFL. Call me a skeptic on this cat to be anything more than a number three or four in the NFL

Hmmmm sounds like the same criticism that was said about Alshon Jeffery coming out. No separation in college means in the pros he'll have trouble but man can he attack the ball and go and get it. He's done pretty dam good.

Regardless it all depends on what QB he gets stuck with in the pros. If he gets a QB that will throw it up to him and let him get it then he will be just fine.

Hopefully he runs a crappy 40 in Indy so he falls like Alshon.
[ Edited by 49deeznutz on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Can't believe nobody has made a thread on him. This guy is special and better be a 49er.

Just watch the video it speaks for itself.

Absolutely love this kid!! One of my favorite players in the draft. Goff in first and Boyd in the second will be the foundation of Chips offense for many years. Add in Swelter, Carlos Hyde and draft Kenyon Drake in the 4th round for a multi-dimension weapon to really threaten defenses!!

That would be amazing! but here's to hoping he runs a slow 40 so we can get him in the third and maybe get the best pass rusher/ o-lineman available in the second.
Flying under the radar. Maybe this years S. Diggs?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
But being able to make contested catches is a plus. Getting more than 3 yards of separation is rare in the NFL. I agree the game against Iowa Desmond King completely took him out of the game for the most part.

He had 10 rec. for 131 yards and a touchdown against Iowa this year. Probably his best game of the year.
[ Edited by 49deeznutz on Feb 1, 2016 at 12:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
But being able to make contested catches is a plus. Getting more than 3 yards of separation is rare in the NFL. I agree the game against Iowa Desmond King completely took him out of the game for the most part.

He had 10 rec. for 131 yards and a touchdown against Iowa this year. Probably his best game of the year.

I was talking about when King was on him.
Nice. Seems faster with the football with another gear. Not sure about his route running. Needs a lot of seasoning in that area. Can go up and fight for the ball which is good.
Originally posted by Pick4Six:

i dont see many separation issues. Most of the jump balls he had were because they were red zone throws or the QB didnt have the arm to get it more downfield
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by Pick4Six:

i dont see many separation issues. Most of the jump balls he had were because they were red zone throws or the QB didnt have the arm to get it more downfield

Yeah he should do just fine in the pros especially if he gets a QB that can get him the ball...I love receivers that can make the difficult play...not ones that need everything to break their way (including separation) in order to make a play

I just have a feeling he's going to fall to at least the third round and some team is going to be bragging about how they "don't know how he was still available."

Looks like the real deal to me.
Not impressed. We need a guy that can run open not fight a DB for the ball, and haven't we learned we can't rely on you tube vides, IE Jenkins/ Baldwin/Patton.....We pretty much will have this type of WR when Smelter returns and he may even be a little bit faster.

What do you attribute his inability to get seperation to?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
What do you attribute his inability to get seperation to?

Don't see him as an elite athlete, especially with foot speed. Could be wrong, but I think the combine is going to expose some of his physical limitations.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM ]

Hmmmm sounds like the same criticism that was said about Alshon Jeffery coming out. No separation in college means in the pros he'll have trouble but man can he attack the ball and go and get it. He's done pretty dam good.

Regardless it all depends on what QB he gets stuck with in the pros. If he gets a QB that will throw it up to him and let him get it then he will be just fine.

Hopefully he runs a crappy 40 in Indy so he falls like Alshon.

I think the big difference you will see between Jeffery and Boyd is about 2 inches in height and at least 20-25 pounds in weight, and simply much faster and quicker. His 6.71 3 cone time was really quick for a 6'3" guy. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong on Jeffery and Benjamin, but will stick to my guns on Boyd. Who knows, this is a crazy game to figure out who can play or not.
Share 49ersWebzone