There are 222 users in the forums

Sims' Make a Wish Mock Draft

Tried to get a little creative to satisfy my wants. Could very possibly be unrealistic but who are we kidding, Baalke is going to do the unexpected anyways, right?

With the addition of Chip Kelly, I feel our offense has already been improved. Is it a Top 10 at this point, probably not, but with a few key additions, there is no reason why it can't be. The biggest need for our offense this year is Offensive line. I am not a fan of drafting a QB high this year as I want to give Kap and Gabbert a chance under a real offensive-minded coach. Therefore, we spend top dollar in Free Agency to help shore up the Oline.

FA Signings:

C – Alex Mack
OG – Kelechi Osemele

*OT Anthony Davis returns

Released/Not Re-signed:

Brooks, Devey, Pears, Dawson, Celek, Boldin, Bush, Simpson, Boone, Lemonier, TJE

Re-sign:

NT – Ian Williams
RB – Dejuan Harris

Now, the creative (possibly unrealistic) part:

**Trade #7, a 5th and a 6th (Draft Value of about 1,555 depending on which picks in the 5th and 6th we give up) to the Jets for DE Muhammad Wilkerson, #20 and their 3rd (Draft Value of about 1,020).

Jets tag him and trade him instead of getting nothing back for him. They are deep at the Defensive line position and they jump at the idea of moving up to #7 to draft Goff/Lynch/Wentz as we all know they will never win anything with Fitzpatrick. We get a star DE and are in prime position to still load up on great talent.

We now have : 1st, 2nd, two 3rd, 4th, two 5th, two 6th, and a 7th (10 picks)....
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM ]
1) DE/OLB – Noah Spence / E. Kentucky: I am hooked that he is the best pass rusher in this draft and is exactly what we need on defense since we addressed our Dline already.

2) OT – Germaine Ifedi / Texas A&M: Shore up the offensive line this offseason and finally see what we have in our QBs. If we have nothing, we will be picking top 15 next year in a deep QB class and an established Oline for them to step in behind.

3) WR – Kenny Lawler / Cal: 6'2, smooth WR with solid speed. We get Smelter back and see what Dres Anderson has so Lawler will be a great addition to an up and coming unit.

3 (Jets) ILB Scooby Wright / Arizona – Could certainly go before this pick but if he is here, have to snag him and add depth to that ILB unit with hopes that he can unseat Hodges this year.

4) RB – Devontae Booker / Utah: Seems like he would fit perfectly in Chips offense and can be the "lightning" to Carlos' Hyde's "thunder".

5) K – Roberto Aguayo / FLA ST.: I understand he has a 3rd round grade but if he is here, you snag the most accurate kicker in College Football and allow him to be a contributor for the next 10-15 years! Can't beat that in the 5th round.

5 (Comp) DE/OLB – Alex McCalister / FLA: Absolute stud rushing the passer. A little undersized but has the frame (6'5/240) to add a little more and cause havoc! Drops because of character concerns

6) QB Jacoby Brissett / NC ST: Tall, Big-Arm and Mobile. Perfect development project for Chip.

6 (Comp) CB – Bryan Poole / FLA: Solid Slot CB with great ball awareness. I really like Ward in the slot but this guy can provide exceptional depth until we move Reid to SS and Ward to FS.

7) NT – DJ Reader / Clemson: Was part of destructive Clemson Dline unit and can provide solid depth behind Williams.

I used CBS Sports for the position rankings and just tried to project based off of their rankings, where they would still be available.

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB – Kap/Gabbert/Brissett

RB - Hyde/Booker/Harris/Hayne
FB – Miller

LT – Staley/Brown
LG – Osemele/Martin
C – Mack/Kilgore
RG – Tiller/Martin/Kilgore
RT – Davis/Ifedi (Could slide Davis to RG if Ifedi looks like he can start right away)

TE – McDonald/Bell/Anderson
WR – Smith/Lawler/Smelter/Patton/Ellington/Anderson

Defense:

RDE – Wilkerson/Tank/Purcell
NT – Williams/Reader
LDE – Dial/Armstead

ROLB – Harold/Spence/McCalister
ILB – Wright/Hodges
ILB – Bowman/Hodges/Skov
LOLB – Lynch/McCalister

CB: Brock/Reaser
CB: Johnson/Acker
Slot: Ward/Poole

FS: Reid/Ward/McCray
SS: Bethea/Tartt

Special Teams:

K – Aguayo
P – Pinion
KR: Ellington
PR: Ellington/Hayne
[ Edited by Sims19849ers on Jan 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM ]
I really like this.

Booker is a thumper.. not really your typical 'lightning' guy ie. Sproles
I'm feeling this too! 👍
Not going to waste a pick on a Kicker when we can bring back Acosta.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Not going to waste a pick on a Kicker when we can bring back Acosta.

A pick on a player that will contribute for the next 15 years is not a waste when all needs have been filled in one offseason. To get a player of Aguayo's caliber in the 5th round is remarkable.

Pinion was different because he wasn't even considered the best punter in college. You think the Raiders are complaining about Janikowski getting picked so early? Absolutely not, it's the other busts that they have taken that set them back.
Acosta was just as good as Dawson last year. There was talk that he could have made it over Dawson. Would rather have a guy who has shown he can do it in the NFL vs a great Kicker in college. I'm sure he will be picked but I just don't see it being by the Niners
Acosta was just as good as Dawson last year. There was talk that he could have made it over Dawson. Would rather have a guy who has shown he can do it in the NFL vs a great Kicker in college. I'm sure he will be picked but I just don't see it being by the Niners

Understandable. What position would you address with that vacant 5th rounder?
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
1) DE/OLB – Noah Spence / E. Kentucky: I am hooked that he is the best pass rusher in this draft and is exactly what we need on defense since we addressed our Dline already.

2) OT – Germaine Ifedi / Texas A&M: Shore up the offensive line this offseason and finally see what we have in our QBs. If we have nothing, we will be picking top 15 next year in a deep QB class and an established Oline for them to step in behind.

3) WR – Kenny Lawler / Cal: 6'2, smooth WR with solid speed. We get Smelter back and see what Dres Anderson has so Lawler will be a great addition to an up and coming unit.

3 (Jets) ILB Scooby Wright / Arizona – Could certainly go before this pick but if he is here, have to snag him and add depth to that ILB unit with hopes that he can unseat Hodges this year.

4) RB – Devontae Booker / Utah: Seems like he would fit perfectly in Chips offense and can be the "lightning" to Carlos' Hyde's "thunder".

5) K – Roberto Aguayo / FLA ST.: I understand he has a 3rd round grade but if he is here, you snag the most accurate kicker in College Football and allow him to be a contributor for the next 10-15 years! Can't beat that in the 5th round.

5 (Comp) DE/OLB – Alex McCalister / FLA: Absolute stud rushing the passer. A little undersized but as the frame (6'5/240) to add a little more and cause havoc! Drops because of character concerns

6) QB Jacoby Brissett / NC ST: Tall, Big-Arm and Mobile. Perfect development project for Chip.

6 (Comp) CB – Bryan Poole / FLA: Solid Slot CB with great ball awareness. I really like Ward in the slot but this guy can provide exceptional depth until we move Reid to SS and Ward to FS.

7) NT – DJ Reader / Clemson: Was part of destructive Clemson Dline unit and can provide solid depth behind Williams.

I used CBS Sports for the position rankings and just tried to project based off of their rankings, where they would still be available.

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB – Kap/Gabbert/Brissett

RB - Hyde/Booker/Harris/Hayne
FB – Miller

LT – Staley/Brown
LG – Osemele/Martin
C – Mack/Kilgore
RG – Tiller/Martin/Kilgore
RT – Davis/Ifedi (Could slide Davis to RG if Ifedi looks like he can start right away)

TE – McDonald/Bell/Anderson
WR – Smith/Lawler/Smelter/Patton/Ellington/Anderson

Defense:

RDE – Wilkerson/Purcell/TJE
NT – Williams/Reader
LDE – Dial/Armstead

ROLB – Harold/Spence/McCalister
ILB – Wright/Hodges
ILB – Bowman/Hodges/Skov
LOLB – Lynch/McCalister

CB: Brock/Reaser
CB: Johnson/Acker
Slot: Ward/Poole

FS: Reid/Ward/McCray
SS: Bethea/Tartt

Special Teams:

K – Aguayo
P – Pinion
KR: Ellington
PR: Ellington/Hayne

Nice mock!
Going from your mock

Landon Turner G North Carolina.
Or possible another CB. Needs lots of Depth at DB. Like Lloyd Carrington AZ state. I like the mock. Just not a kicker being drafted. Bit that is just my opinion
[ Edited by stonecold590 on Jan 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM ]

Going from your mock

Landon Turner G North Carolina.
Or possible another CB. Needs lots of Depth at DB. Like Lloyd Carrington AZ state. I like the mock. Just not a kicker being drafted. Bit that is just my opinion

I can dig that. Competition at both Oline and CB is always worth a look
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
I really like this.

Booker is a thumper.. not really your typical 'lightning' guy ie. Sproles
Very good point. I just remember thinking he was quick when I saw a couple of his games. Thank you

Originally posted by BigBug415:
I'm feeling this too! 👍

Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Nice mock!
Thanks bro
You're crazy sir....and I like it

Way to think outside of the box! It would be wild it if went down like this but why the heck not? My only gripe with this mock is Osemele is gonna want top end money and Baalke doesn't pay top end money to OGs (he actually played LT a lot this year I believe and was pretty darn good).

I'd rather throw Kilgore at LG then have him be a backup, I think he's athletic enough for Chip's system. I'd also go after a WR in the 2nd like Thomas/Doctson/Coleman and grab another OG in the 3rd. We have Brown and Thomas both who can play tackle already.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some trade downs for 2017 picks as well...go all in on Watson

Good job!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Way to think outside of the box! It would be wild it if went down like this but why the heck not? My only gripe with this mock is Osemele is gonna want top end money and Baalke doesn't pay top end money to OGs (he actually played LT a lot this year I believe and was pretty darn good).

I'd rather throw Kilgore at LG then have him be a backup, I think he's athletic enough for Chip's system. I'd also go after a WR in the 2nd like Thomas/Doctson/Coleman and grab another OG in the 3rd. We have Brown and Thomas both who can play tackle already.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some trade downs for 2017 picks as well...go all in on Watson

Good job!

Thank you. I know how Baalke is when it comes to top money, particularly at the G position, but I think (hope) he understands that this could be his last offseason to get things right. With the cap space we have, we should have no problems paying top dollar for both Mack and Osemele while also signing Wilkerson long-term....he just has to be willing to do it and sure up those trenches.

For that same reason of Baalke potentially experiencing his final season as the GM, I would not expect too much action that will gain picks for the 2017 draft. I think (hope) he tries to hit a grand slam this offseason.

*Side note* I'd have no issues with accumulating some ammo for Watson next year
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Good job!

Thank you. I know how Baalke is when it comes to top money, particularly at the G position, but I think (hope) he understands that this could be his last offseason to get things right. With the cap space we have, we should have no problems paying top dollar for both Mack and Osemele while also signing Wilkerson long-term....he just has to be willing to do it and sure up those trenches.

For that same reason of Baalke potentially experiencing his final season as the GM, I would not expect too much action that will gain picks for the 2017 draft. I think (hope) he tries to hit a grand slam this offseason.

*Side note* I'd have no issues with accumulating some ammo for Watson next year

I don't think Baalke is too worried about his job....he just doesn't seem like that type of guy IMO. IF we could land Wilk and Mack in FA I will consider it a home run, I just don't see Osemele coming here to play OG (he will want tackle cash) I also heard Flacco is going to do whatever he can to help create some cap space for them...they are hurting bad for 2016.

fingers crossed, if he does come here then I'd want something different in the 2nd round...but it's your mock
Share 49ersWebzone