LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Who is the best ILB in the draft for the 49ers?

Who is the best ILB in the draft for the 49ers?

Right now ILB seems to be one of the biggest needs in the team and there are not lots of good FAs so if you had to choose between the top-3 LBs in this year class who would be your pick?
I think they need someone that is really fluid in coverage. I see Smith or Jack as the best fits in that regard.

In terms of a guy that I think will be an absolute steal later on in the draft, Tyler Matakevich is a heck of a prospect. May not be a great player but I can see him being a pretty good NFL ILB.
Anybody know anything about Luke Rhodes William and Mary?
Best player is Myles Jack.

Best player for the 49ers in my opinion is Jaylon Smith if we can get him later in the first round.

Both guys are great all around players who will help us out a lot in coverage. We don't need an instant impact player and can afford to sit Jaylon Smith out most of the year if necessary because we're in the middle of a rebuild.
I'm so sad Jaylon Smith got hurt. He was hands down my top choice. I side with Myles Jack because he could be great in coverage as well. Ragland is a thumper but I'm concerned about his coverage skills
I think scooby if around in the third is worth a look. Jack is the best remaining (was big on smith).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think they need someone that is really fluid in coverage. I see Smith or Jack as the best fits in that regard.

In terms of a guy that I think will be an absolute steal later on in the draft, Tyler Matakevich is a heck of a prospect. May not be a great player but I can see him being a pretty good NFL ILB.

Who would you compare him to??
Could James Cowser convert over to 3-4 ILB?
Wait till the 4 th or 5 th round for Josh Forest/ ILB 6" 3. 252 lb...3rd team all SEC.....just my thought

Originally posted by highway49:
Wait till the 4 th or 5 th round for Josh Forest/ ILB 6" 3. 252 lb...3rd team all SEC.....just my thought

I like Josh Forrests measurables, but his scouting reports say he's raw and does a poor job reading the play?
Scooby is in the Borland mold. They got that Zach Thomas type of pursuit... Pit bulls
[ Edited by strickac on Feb 14, 2016 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by highway49:

I like Josh Forrests measurables, but his scouting reports say he's raw and does a poor job reading the play?

I have not seen that report, but he was 3rd in most tackles averaged per game in the SEC....hard worker and has smarts, maby he can be coached up. We ain't' t gonna fix this team in one or even two drafts so well selected "Value picks" are gonna be huge going forward.
Josh Forest

STRENGTHS: Forrest still looks a bit more like a receiver (or tight end) than a traditional 'thumper inside linebacker. He sports a relatively lanky, athletic frame, and his best attribute may be his acceleration as Forrest's speed and aggression make him a nice fit in coach Mike Stoops' scheme.
WEAKNESSES: He needs to develop greater functional strength to shed blockers and his relative inexperience at the position is clear on tape, as too often he's fooled by misdirection. Possesses impressive burst and closing speed for his size once he locates the ball - traits which could intrigue special teams coaches. Flashes physicality in taking on blockers.

Forrest is understandably a bit slow to diagnose the action. Too often is passive in this area, spinning off would-be blockers yards downfield rather than forcing the action near the line of scrimmage. Further, Forrest prefers to grab hold and drag down ballcarriers rather than striking them, wrapping securely with both arms and bringing his hips in textbook form.

IN OUR VIEW: Forrest possesses many of the traits scouts are looking for at the next level. He remains quite raw, however, and must cut down on misreads and finesse play in 2015 to warrant anything more than late-round consideration.

--Rob Rang (8/24/15)

I agree on taking a shot on him with a late pick. Worst case he can compete for a ST slot. If he doesn't make it, at least he could compete for a PS spot.
[ Edited by Butter on Feb 14, 2016 at 3:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
Josh Forest

STRENGTHS: Forrest still looks a bit more like a receiver (or tight end) than a traditional 'thumper inside linebacker. He sports a relatively lanky, athletic frame, and his best attribute may be his acceleration as Forrest's speed and aggression make him a nice fit in coach Mike Stoops' scheme.
WEAKNESSES: He needs to develop greater functional strength to shed blockers and his relative inexperience at the position is clear on tape, as too often he's fooled by misdirection. Possesses impressive burst and closing speed for his size once he locates the ball - traits which could intrigue special teams coaches. Flashes physicality in taking on blockers.

Forrest is understandably a bit slow to diagnose the action. Too often is passive in this area, spinning off would-be blockers yards downfield rather than forcing the action near the line of scrimmage. Further, Forrest prefers to grab hold and drag down ballcarriers rather than striking them, wrapping securely with both arms and bringing his hips in textbook form.

IN OUR VIEW: Forrest possesses many of the traits scouts are looking for at the next level. He remains quite raw, however, and must cut down on misreads and finesse play in 2015 to warrant anything more than late-round consideration.

--Rob Rang (8/24/15)

I agree on taking a shot on him with a late pick. Worst case he can compete for a ST slot. If he doesn't make it, at least he could compete for a PS spot.

I saw one draft board that him ranked in the 130 th range overall... I believe he had a real good season for KU...and that was way after this report came out... He's fast, and we need more team speed...he should show well at the combine IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone