There are 216 users in the forums

Eastcoast's Mock Draft 1.0

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Eastcoast49erfan Mock Draft 1.0:

Overview:
In my opinion, this team is still at least a couple years away from being a competitive team in the playoffs, so the focus was on bringing in young talent in free agency and drafting future contributors, not necessarily instant impact players for 2016. We have a lot of cap room and I expect we'll have to offer market rate or better to attract players to a rebuilding team. To avoid tying up valuable cap space 3-4 years down the road, the free agent deals are slightly front-loaded.

2016 Salary Cap:
Overthecap.com was used to come up with the cap room projections for free agency. Cap space is based upon the 51 largest contracts (by cap hit), so whenever a player is being cut, that means a cheaper player is now counting towards the cap ($525,000). When a player is signed, they are replacing the lowest cap hit.

The initial 2016 cap room based on a projected $162.6 million cap: $53.5 million

Cuts/trades:
Cut Pears ($2.1 million), Brooks ($6.4 million), Bethea ($3.5 million), Dorsey ($2.1 million)

Trade Kaepernick for a conditional pick in 2017 (3rd round if he puts up 4000 combined yards or 30 combined TD's, otherwise 5th round) – someone else may be willing to take a chance on him if we eat the remaining guaranteed money. I like the idea of trading for a conditional pick based on his performance next year so we have a chance of getting something back for hm. Trading Kaepernick gives us a ton of flexibility in 2017 and beyond and $8.5 million additional cap room in 2016.

New 2016 cap room after replacing them in the top 51: $74.1 million

Money set aside for draft picks:
Our top 5 draft picks are the only picks that count against the cap because they exceed $525,000. These contracts add up to $6.1 million in cap hits in 2016, so the cap room setting aside money needed to sign our draft picks is $68 million.

Free Agency signings (2016 cap hit in parenthesis – intentionally front-loaded deals)
Re-sign/Player returns from retirement:
Ian Williams ($5 million) - Has been one of our best players on defense and is only 26. Overthecap.com projects he'll get 3 years $9-12 million, but I think he'll get closer to 4 years $20 million.

Tony Jerod-Eddie ($1 million) - He's only 25, provides valuable depth, and shouldn't be expensive to retain. We'll need to rotate players on defense to keep them fresh now that Chip Kelly is at the helm. Extend him for 2 years $2 million.

Phil Dawson ($1.4 million) - Turned 41 today. He's still playing at a high level, but we need to start looking for a replacement. Luckily, kickers are easy to find in free agency or in the last rounds of the draft. Extend him for 1 year $1.4 million.

Anthony Davis comes back ($5.6 million) - Given the state of our offensive line, we should welcome Davis back with open arms. Trent Brown has been a pleasant surprise, but he's no Anthony Davis and it will be nice to have depth on the offensive line again. Davis may need some time to get back in game shape.

Let walk:
Anquan Boldin, Reggie Bush, Alex Boone, Garrett Celek, Shaun Draughns, Michael Wilhoite, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Jordan Devey

Cap room left to sign free agents: $57 million

New acquisitions:
Kelechi Osemele ($9 million) – OG – Osemele is only 26 and it's extremely unlikely that he'll be tagged because the franchise tag doesn't differentiate between offensive line positions. He's one of the best guards in the NFL and we have the cap room to offer him top dollar at the position. He gets 5 years $40 million (same as Iupati's deal last year).

Travis Benjamin ($8 million) – WR – Benjamin only turned 26 in December and had a coming out party in 2015. He would be deadly in Kelly's fast-paced offense. Alshon Jeffery would be incredible, but the Bears have about as much cap space as we do and can easily afford to tag him or sign him to a long term deal. Benjamin gets 5 years $38 million which is almost as much as Torrey Smith got to come here last year and also in line with Golden Tate and Pierre Garcon's contracts.

Coby Fleener ($7 million) – TE – Fleener is brought in to be our #1 TE after we let Celek leave in free agency. He's a better version of Zach Ertz who has had some success in Philadelphia. The Colts have Dwayne Allen and a number of good WR's so they don't need to re-sign Fleener. He signs a 4 year $25 million deal after a down season in 2014.

Malik Jackson ($11 million) – DE – One of the inevitable cap casualties for Denver, Jackson has developed into one of the better 3-4 DE's in the league. He's no Wilkerson, but he should come at a significantly cheaper cost and was one of the highest rated 3-4 DE's by PFF. He signs a 4 year $40 million deal in line with the 4 year $36.7 million deal his teammate Wolfe just signed with the Broncos.

Olivier Vernon ($12 million) – OLB – This is a bit of a stretch, because I think the Dolphins will do whatever it takes to re-sign him, but as of right now, the Dolphins have no cap room and Vernon will be expensive. He's only 25 and is one of the best pass rushers in the league. He shifts to OLB and becomes our best player on defense and revitalizes our pass rush behind an upgraded defensive line. Miami chooses not to franchise tag him which could cost $15 million this year and he signs with the 49ers for 5 years $55 million.

The new acquisitions replace the cheapest cap hits in the top 51, so the remaining cap room after the draft and free agency is ~$12 million.

All the cap hits for the free agents we signed in 2016 would go down in 2017 and the $8.5 million in savings for trading Kaepernick turns into $19.4 million in 2017 giving us room to extend/re-sign guys like Lynch, Reid, and Hyde. Gabbert, Miller, and Reid are the only noteworthy 49ers players hitting free agency in 2017, so there would be plenty of cap room to add some more pieces a year from now.

Overall, I love the offseason moves from top to bottom. I just have a few thoughts/questions.

1) I like bringing in Travis Benjamin as another potential deep threat as well as being a KR/PR. However, why so much for Benjamin? He had a nice season, but it really is one good season as a receiver. Torrey Smith was much more proven as a big play maker as a receiver and the deals are virtually the same. I get the idea that we may have to overpay for some guys, but I think 5 years/38 million for Benjamin is too much. Pierre Garcon and Golden Tate also had much better track records, so I just don't see how Benjamin can command that much. But I do think he is just as important of a free agent signing as some of the others.

2) Why let Glenn Dorsey walk? He could be moved back to NT and give us a reliable vet in the rotation. Also, his cap number isn't very big and if I understand correctly, he should be a free agent after next season. I don't think this team is hurt if he remains on the roster another season. I also think Garrett Celek and Shaun Draughn should at least be in camp. Celek came along nicely this year and I'm curious as to what he can do in a real offense. I don't expect Draughns to make any noise, but he is a camp body. No biggie if he walks, but I think he should be given an opportunity. Also, the thought process is that Anquan Boldin is too old/slow for this offense, but I think he can continue to be a weapon on third downs and particularly as a slot receiver. He also provides leadership and I think realistically, again, we aren't hurt if he's on the roster one more year. Finally, I notice there is no Bruce Ellington listed on the depth chart as a receiver. Once again, we have a guy that has flashed a little and I believe he can put up some numbers in Chip Kelly's offense in spite of his size. With the addition of Travis Benjamin and signing Boldin for another season, I feel good going forward with Boldin, Smith, Patton, Ellington, Smelter, and Benjamin as our main receivers.

3) Defensive moves- I am 100% on board. I think the defense, on paper, looks like they could make some serious noise next season. I am not saying top 5 or even top 10 just yet but I can see a few dominant performances out of that group, especially considering we will be playing 4th place teams next year.

I don't think we are that far off from being a playoff contender with this type of offseason. I can see the team going through some growing pains, but giving teams a good game week in and out in 2016 and in the mix for the playoffs in 2017. Any team that has a good/great QB and a great pass rush will always be in the mix. The front 7 you have will provide us with that pass rush. If we somehow land Goff, we will have that QB.

This type of offseason would land Baalke another executive of the year award and surpasses the great offseason of 2011.
I think our brinks truck should back up to denvers freeagents homes. I will take Travethon, Wolfe and Jackson!!! Then figure the rest out with draft picks and maybe travis benjamin just for s**ts and giggles!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Overall, I love the offseason moves from top to bottom. I just have a few thoughts/questions.

1) I like bringing in Travis Benjamin as another potential deep threat as well as being a KR/PR. However, why so much for Benjamin? He had a nice season, but it really is one good season as a receiver. Torrey Smith was much more proven as a big play maker as a receiver and the deals are virtually the same. I get the idea that we may have to overpay for some guys, but I think 5 years/38 million for Benjamin is too much. Pierre Garcon and Golden Tate also had much better track records, so I just don't see how Benjamin can command that much. But I do think he is just as important of a free agent signing as some of the others.

2) Why let Glenn Dorsey walk? He could be moved back to NT and give us a reliable vet in the rotation. Also, his cap number isn't very big and if I understand correctly, he should be a free agent after next season. I don't think this team is hurt if he remains on the roster another season. I also think Garrett Celek and Shaun Draughn should at least be in camp. Celek came along nicely this year and I'm curious as to what he can do in a real offense. I don't expect Draughns to make any noise, but he is a camp body. No biggie if he walks, but I think he should be given an opportunity. Also, the thought process is that Anquan Boldin is too old/slow for this offense, but I think he can continue to be a weapon on third downs and particularly as a slot receiver. He also provides leadership and I think realistically, again, we aren't hurt if he's on the roster one more year. Finally, I notice there is no Bruce Ellington listed on the depth chart as a receiver. Once again, we have a guy that has flashed a little and I believe he can put up some numbers in Chip Kelly's offense in spite of his size. With the addition of Travis Benjamin and signing Boldin for another season, I feel good going forward with Boldin, Smith, Patton, Ellington, Smelter, and Benjamin as our main receivers.

3) Defensive moves- I am 100% on board. I think the defense, on paper, looks like they could make some serious noise next season. I am not saying top 5 or even top 10 just yet but I can see a few dominant performances out of that group, especially considering we will be playing 4th place teams next year.

I don't think we are that far off from being a playoff contender with this type of offseason. I can see the team going through some growing pains, but giving teams a good game week in and out in 2016 and in the mix for the playoffs in 2017. Any team that has a good/great QB and a great pass rush will always be in the mix. The front 7 you have will provide us with that pass rush. If we somehow land Goff, we will have that QB.

This type of offseason would land Baalke another executive of the year award and surpasses the great offseason of 2011.

Thanks, it was nice spending a little time messing around with overthecap.com to see what $54 million in cap room (plus more if we cut/trade players) could do. In an effort to keep this somewhat realistic, I tried to give free agents generous contracts which I believe the 49ers will have to do to draw them to a rebuilding team.

1. You're probably right on Benjamin. I was reading an article written a couple months ago which compared Benjamin to those guys. At that point in the season, he was on pace for over 1100 yards. He hasn't had good QB's throwing him the ball in Cleveland and he also adds value as a punt returner with his 4.36 speed. He's a player I'd be interested in bringing into this offense, but we may be able to get him cheaper than that. With the salary cap going up and a number of teams having cap room, I expect Benjamin to get at least $6 million a year though. He's one of the top FA WR's available since the Bears are likely to retain Jeffery.

2. We save a little over $2 million for a backup who has only played 30 games over the past 4 years and will be on the wrong side of 30 next year. I was on the fence about cutting Celek and bringing in Fleener because Celek has played pretty well recently, but that would represent an upgrade at the position and I still think Fleener has some untapped potential. He's 6'6 and runs in the 4.5-4.6 range and has improved his blocking since he's been on the Colts. He's a player they may not retain because they have another good young TE in Dwayne Allen. Chip likes TE's so I think his numbers would improve here with less competition for targets.

3. Agree with you - that front 7 would get me excited. If Goff doesn't make it to 7 (and I agree with everyone who said that he probably won't), then stick Myles Jack in there next to Bowman and we have one of the best front 7's in the league and a top 10 defense in my opinion. I think it will take a little longer for our offense (and offensive line) to mesh.

The odds of anyone's mock happening exactly are worse than the odds of winning the Powerball, but we have the cap room to have this type of offseason. It all depends on which free agents want to come here and who falls to us in the draft. If Vernon isn't available, Bruce Irvin is an option and Danny Trevathan could be an option at ILB if we don't get one of the players I listed. It should be fun to see which players we bring in. There are a lot of teams with a lot of extra cash space, so guys like Vernon could get huge deals.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
I think our brinks truck should back up to denvers freeagents homes. I will take Travethon, Wolfe and Jackson!!! Then figure the rest out with draft picks and maybe travis benjamin just for s**ts and giggles!

Wolfe was already re-signed, but Trevathon and Jackson are both on my wish list.
I'm all-in for Malik Jackson.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Man, that's a lot of work - thanks for the effort and time. I enjoyed it.

I won't speculate on who we will or won't get in the draft - way too many variables.

However, I love your FA picks. Like that you went w/younger guys]

If we could just get:

OG - Osemele
WR - Benjamin
DL - Malik Jackson
Edge Rusher - Vernon -[My favorite]

I'd be on Could 9.

If we could get Malik Jackson and Oliver Vernon AND draft Miles Jack!! 👍👍

Playoff defense for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone