LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

With the first pick, what position do you think Baalke will go after based on his strategy

we all know Baalke loves to draft defense and although the pressure is on for a successful pick, what position do you think he goes for based on need/value/BPA?

DE or DT - since we drafted AA last year I don't know after bosa if they will want Buckner or anyone else that high. Buckner to me is similar to AA. not many tackles or sacks but a good player.

Safety - same as above. Too many high picks invested recently and not a huge need

Qb - we have 2 one of which that will start in chips offense. Even if Geoff slips to 7 I don't see Jed or Trent wanting to deal with another qb controversy or fans b***hing if and when we are going to see the new qb if we draft him.

TE- no value here

Rb - we have Hyde and will draft one later in the draft like always

Wr - if tredwell slips to 7 I hope we draft him. We havent had a dominant wr since Owens and he could be it. However I think Baalke may be gunshy drafting wrs even though his yearly 4th round pick shouldn't be completely his fault for a 4th not being good or great. Crabtree was a solid wr so Baalke only missed with aj but that was what the 31st pick? Not a lot of talent there much like the Rams drafting Brian quick. In the end I think Baalke will rely on chip Kelly to improve the offense without investing in a wr with the first pick

So that leaves Baalke to draft a Tackle, ilb, olb or possibly CB.

With Anthony Davis returning and us having Staley and brown I think the need for a tackle isn't as great as many think even if there's the bpa at 7. Center and guard is too high to pick.

I feel we may take the best CB available or miles Jack if nobody selects a CB I feel this may be the pick even though we know Baalke love pass rushers. However, don't know if Baalke wants to draft a player that was injured?

What's your best guess for position or specific player?
Ilb~myles jack
Miles Jack or Shaq Lawson.
My guess is Myles Jack.
depends on how the FA unfolds
Jack or Lawson. But with Chip, I can certainly see Treadwell. But its Trent. Could be a CB none of us have ever heard of and MD has ranked at 151st. Never know what he's going to do. I didnt see the PopTartt pick coming.

Also, FA will have something to do with this.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
He'll trade down between 2 to 5 spot and draft the best OT possible..

He will do this to shut up every OL we have who feels like they aren't being taken care of.
Jack
Treadwell
Stanley
Buckner

I think its 1 of these 4 players.
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Jack
Treadwell
Stanley
Buckner

I think its 1 of these 4 players.

Agreed. One of those four is pretty certain it feels.
Baalke's Draft Strategy will be made clearer after the initial FA signing period comes to a close.

If Buckner were there it would be hard to pass on him. Unlike AA he did put up big numbers (83 tackles, 17 for loss, 10.5 sacks). If they sign a starting DE like Malik Jackson then that pretty much ensures no DE/DT.

I'm beginning to think Myles Jack is a serious candidate to be a 49er, and he would be my choice.
Originally posted by saniner:
If Buckner were there it would be hard to pass on him. Unlike AA he did put up big numbers (83 tackles, 17 for loss, 10.5 sacks). If they sign a starting DE like Malik Jackson then that pretty much ensures no DE/DT.

I'm beginning to think Myles Jack is a serious candidate to be a 49er, and he would be my choice.

Oh wow I didn't know Buckner had those stats but is that over his career or in 1 year? If it's career that's not that great but I don't see us drafting another DL so early.

I think either jack or treadwell would help the most but we really need a shutdown CB
Originally posted by elguapo:
Oh wow I didn't know Buckner had those stats but is that over his career or in 1 year? If it's career that's not that great but I don't see us drafting another DL so early.

I think either jack or treadwell would help the most but we really need a shutdown CB

Stats from just this year. He has insane potential and should be a top ten, if not top 5 pick. If they don't sign a DE then I would hope they go after him. If they do, then I agree about Jack or a CB. Treadwell would be great, but in a trade down.
Ronnie Stanley, DeForest Buckner or Myles Jack.
Treadwell is money though, only the OT Tunsil is as sure a thing in my mind, and they won't have a shot at him. Quon has the next highest floor, and I think that Baalke is fundamentally a conservative drafter. So if they don't trade back, which I would try to do, he would be my choice. After that, try to trade back up into the end of the first for Conklin, Decker, Eli Apple, Scooby Wright, Hunter Henry, depending on who is available. Maybe toss Derrick Henry into that mix as well.
Share 49ersWebzone