LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Quest4six's annual mock draft V1.0

Solid mock as always

Just a couple questions....

I'm a bit hesitant though when I see Wilk in any mock, from everything I've read or heard he's getting tagged. I would rather focus on pass rush depth then secondary help. Do you feel fine keeping Brooks another year with a $10 million cap hit? I'm not, he was awful in pass rush this past season....he sure as heck isn't a top 5 OLB but will be paid like one.

So you have Boykin in the slot then move probably one of our best CBs to backup FS Also was hoping for some athletic OGs which is needed for Chip's offense.

Overall it went down like this we would look a whole lot better than last year.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Solid mock as always

I'm a bit hesitant though when I see Wilk in any mock, from everything I've read or heard he's getting tagged. I would rather focus on pass rush depth then secondary help. Do you feel fine keeping Brooks another year with a $10 million cap hit? I'm not, he was awful in pass rush this past season....he sure as heck isn't a top 5 OLB but will be paid like one.

So you have Boykin in the slot then move probably one of our best CBs to backup FS Also was hoping for some athletic OGs which is needed for Chip's offense.

I would not even mind his mock draft without Wilkerson. To be honest, I believe the 49ers pass rushers couldn't succeed because our d-line wasn't disruptive enough. They need to be able to occupy blockers, etc, with more regularity. By improving other things like DL production and ILB pass coverage you can free up the pass rushers a bit better. Chicken or egg I suppose.

I agree on Wilkerson though. There is simply no way the Jets are letting Wilkerson walk and even if he does there will be teams lined up at the door for him. It's unfortunate that the guy is getting tagged for his sake because he's being denied a huge contract. The NYJ's will franchise Wilkerson and then open up salary negotiations.

If the 49ers came away with Myles Jack and Michael Thomas I would be surprised and happy.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 22, 2016 at 7:49 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Solid mock as always

I would not even mind his mock draft without Wilkerson. To be honest, I believe the 49ers pass rushers couldn't succeed because our d-line wasn't disruptive enough. They need to be able to occupy blockers, etc, with more regularity. By improving other things like DL production and ILB pass coverage you can free up the pass rushers a bit better. Chicken or egg I suppose.

I agree on Wilkerson though. There is simply no way the Jets are letting Wilkerson walk and even if he does there will be teams lined up at the door for him. It's unfortunate that the guy is getting tagged for his sake because he's being denied a huge contract. The NYJ's will franchise Wilkerson and then open up salary negotiations.

If the 49ers came away with Myles Jack and Michael Thomas I would be surprised and happy.

I agree with you so if Wilkerson doesn't come on board who's gonna help the DL I didn't see him drafting or bringing in anyone else for the DL other than him (maybe I missed it?).
Nice draft but Wilkerson is getting a tag. You'd be better off mocking Malik Jackson instead. Biggest issues with this is Brooks and Bush? I just so no value in either player. I like the signing of Jefferson. Wish we could add some pass rush but you can't fix everything in one off season. Good job
I loved your mock before it even got to the draft picks. I agree with others that Wilk is getting tagged but for now he is not. If he does get tagged then I do hope Baalke chooses to spend money on a pass rusher just like we did with Justin Smith. So yeah, Obviously Malik Jackson is out there and Oliver Vernon, etc...

I like the FA's you added because IMO it brings instant upgrades to our team without even drafting and then it kind of free's us up to take the Best guy available. A pass rusher in Free agency will automatically help the pass rush and the secondary in our overall rankings. A rookie could do that as well but they don't normaaly develop as fast. Then drafting Myles jack makes us strong again in the middle.

The only thing I don't like is Boone and the Oline. You added Oline help but I don't know if Boone fits what we want to do moving forward. Quite honestly I just want to be done with him anyways.
First of all, nice work. Obviously you put a lot of thought and effort into this post.

Second, as good as many people know that Wilkerson is, he will likely be tagged by the Jets. They are not going to let him walk in free agency with his skill set. I agree with the others that the focus should be on pass rushers (i.e. Oliver Vernon) and the offensive line, not the secondary.

Draft is solid with good value all the way through. Good job.
Thanks for all the work and a very good mock.

Like others I feel Wilk will get tagged.

I'm holdoing out hope for Vernon since they paid all that loot for Suh.

Jack would be an excellent pick.
I think McCalister is a no-go. Chip doesn't do character concerns.
Umm.. im gonna be honest..

I kinda love this
Originally posted by elguapo:
Very good mock quest.

I really like Benjamin in fa however I think Wilkerson will be tagged and so will Vernon from Miami. So we are kinda screwed for a second pass rusher unless we get one in the draft.

We really don't need Jefferson at safety unless he is going to beat out tartt. He may be a better player but not worth the money especially since so little is dedicated to tartt and he most likely will improve.

We don't need Boykin either since ward did very well in the slot last year. I would welcome it but I don't see room for Boykin or Jefferson to start.

I think fa we get a center. Our tackle are solid if a Davis comes back with brown as a swing or brown starting at RT and Davis at a guard position.

Your draft is great. I love Jack. He is my number 1 choice followed by treadwell but the Ohio st wr in the second would do great here as well. It depends on what Baalke and Kelly want. I still don't know where the hell we are going to get a pass rusher from unless we get Irvin who is solid 7 sack a year guy but I feel like he will go to the Falcons.

Who is out there in fa that can improve our pass rush? Assuming Wilkerson and Vernon will be tagged and Irvin goes to atl? At number 7 I don't see any pass rushers that are worth that pick bc to me Buckner is like AA. Not many sacks tackles of ff's but a good d lineman.

Thanks el, took me a long time.
If we don't manage to get Wilk or Vernon there is still always hope for Jackson from Denver... I don't even think their cap can afford to tag him.

I think Boykin has a spot on this team though, I went over some stats with our secondary.. Specifically Ackers performance... PFF did a "season stat" by compiling all of the stats the #2 WR scored against our team and we let up the 3rd most TDS and 5th most yards of any team. We have a huge hole in our secondary that won't be fixed by beefing up the pass rush... At some point you need to put talent back there. Thats also why I have Jefferson joining.

I also agree that our O line can be fixed through FA, which is why I didn't make it that much of a focus in the draft.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think McCalister is a no-go. Chip doesn't do character concerns.

I'm not sure what his character concerns were... But McCalister's definitely are not as bad as some others that are out there.
Some people believe that he was dismissed from the team because of showing up late for a plane and breaking curfew a couple times... While that is all speculation it still seems light to some "character concerns" I've seen

Solid mock as always

As always, thank you NY
I somewhat expect Wilk to get tagged, I think there is clear evidence out there that supports both sides of that argument... But if he does I would just send Malik Jackson the same money... Almost the same player.
I also would feel comfortable giving Brooks that money... I would definitely approach him about a restructure. We have 50+ million in cap space so I'm not sure it would even matter this season, but I will cut him next year. There aren't many good pass rushers in FA, and while he may not be worth 10mil, the absence of a solid 3-4 OLB like Brooks is hard to come by... Which will drive his value up. But next year I'd start Harold or McCalister

And yeah, to be honest I don't think I should have posted that final roster. I just threw it together after 5+ hours of my mock and got lazy with it. I'm going to redo it later.. But I would like to see Davis move to RG and Boone to RT.
I'd be pretty happy with Jack and Thomas in the first two rounds. Many other picks are well suited for the 9ers needs as well.

Several recent mocks have Travis Benjamin listed as FA pickups but he has stated that he's 70/80% done with a new contract and the Browns would be silly to let him go with questions surrounding Gordon. Wilkerson would seem to be a reach as well...though I'd really be elated with him.

Would like to see OL addressed more thoroughly. Your depth chart seems to count on Boone and Davis, two players that may not be suited for Kelly's system (Boone) or return in shape (Davis). Then you have Thomas starting, (a leap of faith?) and Silberman as a key backup. I'd like to see some really top competition for these guys in camp.

Oh, I may just be brain dead tonight, but where did RG Thompson come from?
Ummm Boykin hates Chip Kelly...

Former Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin, who played under Kelly for two seasons before being traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ripped his ex-coach and said he wasn't surprised by his dismissal.

"You can't trick players or pretend to be someone you're not if the results aren't there," Boykin told the Pittsburgh Tribune. "The guys who were man enough to make a difference and do something about it were axed or (Kelly) acted like there were sour grapes or whatever."

Boykin didn't hold any punches when asked to compare Kelly to Mike Tomlin, his current head coach.

Kelly, Murray spoke after firingAfter firing, Chip calls CataldiOwens' marriage officially overBissinger blames media for Chip
"Tomlin treats players like professionals and grown men," Boykin said, adding that Kelly didn't respect many of his players. "He acted like he was better and smarter than people at his level, and that's where the respect was lost."

This isn't the first time Boykin has openly criticized Kelly. Back in August, Boykin told CSNPhilly that Kelly was "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture."

"He can't relate, and that makes him uncomfortable. He likes total control of everything, and he don't like to be uncomfortable," Boykin said in a text message. "Players excel when you let them naturally be who they are, and in my experience that hasn't been important to him, but you guys have heard this before me."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Brandon-Boykin-rips-Chip-Kelly-acting-like-he-was-better-than-people.html#xf2Fjm5R38q53WeE.99
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Ummm Boykin hates Chip Kelly...

Former Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin, who played under Kelly for two seasons before being traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ripped his ex-coach and said he wasn't surprised by his dismissal.

"You can't trick players or pretend to be someone you're not if the results aren't there," Boykin told the Pittsburgh Tribune. "The guys who were man enough to make a difference and do something about it were axed or (Kelly) acted like there were sour grapes or whatever."

Boykin didn't hold any punches when asked to compare Kelly to Mike Tomlin, his current head coach.

Kelly, Murray spoke after firingAfter firing, Chip calls CataldiOwens' marriage officially overBissinger blames media for Chip
"Tomlin treats players like professionals and grown men," Boykin said, adding that Kelly didn't respect many of his players. "He acted like he was better and smarter than people at his level, and that's where the respect was lost."

This isn't the first time Boykin has openly criticized Kelly. Back in August, Boykin told CSNPhilly that Kelly was "uncomfortable around grown men of our culture."

"He can't relate, and that makes him uncomfortable. He likes total control of everything, and he don't like to be uncomfortable," Boykin said in a text message. "Players excel when you let them naturally be who they are, and in my experience that hasn't been important to him, but you guys have heard this before me."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Brandon-Boykin-rips-Chip-Kelly-acting-like-he-was-better-than-people.html#xf2Fjm5R38q53WeE.99

Water under the bridge
He played his best football with Chip
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Water under the bridge
He played his best football with Chip

lol no way he signs here
Share 49ersWebzone