There are 178 users in the forums

Reverse Mock Draft - Who WON'T the 49ers draft with their first pick?

1. A quarterback. Makes no sense with two young starters on the roster, and a handful of young former top picks likely available, cheap or free.

2. Jaylon Smith - Overrated when he was healthy. On the field for 5 minutes in Bowl Game and his team was down 14-0 then played much better without him the rest of the game. Tossed aside like a Frisbee by Taylor Decker on his last college play. Far too pleased with his own public image.

3.An OL. This draft is extremely deep in OL and I think the team likes the players it has on hand far more than the fans. A. Davis seems likely to return. D. Kilgore will be fully healthy for first time in 2 years. T. Brown looked good for a very young and raw rookie. M. Martin and B. Thomas are far better players than they've shown so far.

4. Robert Nkemdiche - Trent Baalke and Chip Kelly have both had more than their fill of flakes.

Who you think they definitely WON'T draft among the highly rated prospects?
Two young starters QBs? Are we talking about the 49ers?

IMO Jaylon Smith is not overrated. He can do it all and I don't care if he looses his rookie season if he has a good carrer.

The OL has some good names but Boone is not likely to come back, Brown played less than 4 full games and AD is coming off retirement. We could certainly use some help here.
I am literally going to post my mock today and all 4 of the options you have listed are options I strongly considered.
Especially Oline
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I am literally going to post my mock today and all 4 of the options you have listed are options I strongly considered.
Especially Oline

The forum is open to all opinions.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
1. A quarterback. Makes no sense with two young starters on the roster

Both of whom suck (DumbDumb moreso).

Gabbert could still develop into something with more rep's, but he'd start over a rookie QB anyway; a rookie QB would be for 2017 and beyond.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Both of whom suck (DumbDumb moreso).

Gabbert could still develop into something with more rep's, but he'd start over a rookie QB anyway; a rookie QB would be for 2017 and beyond.

I don't get the idea that Trent Baalke and Jed York are thinking long term rebuild with the hiring of Chip Kelly. They would have stuck with Tomsula, or hired a young, unproven coach if that was the case. Saving a lot of money and taking a lot of pressure off in the process.

No, they sat down and said "How can we turn this around quickly and get the fans back on side?". I think they see Kelly's offense as being a positive thing for the skill sets of Gabbert and Kaepernick, and ideally would like to retain both players. Kap's contract complicates that situation considerably, so it probably revolves around financial details. But probably the last thing they need is the hoopla of a highly drafted rookie QB who isn't going to be better than either guy they have now, for two or three seasons at least. No immediate help, plus the complication of playing time, another big salary (#7 overall pick takes home about $12 million first year) and having to deal with the constant stupidity of the media and fans.
I don't get the idea that Trent Baalke and Jed York are thinking long term rebuild with the hiring of Chip Kelly. They would have stuck with Tomsula, or hired a young, unproven coach if that was the case. Saving a lot of money and taking a lot of pressure off in the process.

No, they sat down and said "How can we turn this around quickly and get the fans back on side?". I think they see Kelly's offense as being a positive thing for the skill sets of Gabbert and Kaepernick, and ideally would like to retain both players. Kap's contract complicates that situation considerably, so it probably revolves around financial details. But probably the last thing they need is the hoopla of a highly drafted rookie QB who isn't going to be better than either guy they have now, for two or three seasons at least. No immediate help, plus the complication of playing time, another big salary (#7 overall pick takes home about $12 million first year) and having to deal with the constant stupidity of the media and fans.

No one cares that the #7 pick takes home $12 million this year but you continue to post that. The cap hit the first year is in the $3-4 million range and the cap hit over the first 4 years is around $4 million a year. The #7 pick last year (Kevin White) signed a 4 year, $16.5 million deal. While that number will go up slightly this year, that is still considerably less than what Blaine Gabbert is likely to be paid over the next 4 years. Kaepernick's cap hit over the next 4 years is over $75 million (we'd only owe $7.4 of that if we cut him this year).

The only reason we may not go QB in the first 2 rounds is that Kaepernick's injury may force us to retain him if he can't pass the physical April 1st.

And I'm not convinced Goff wouldn't be better than either Kaepernick or Gabbert by the end of season 1. I'd prefer to sit him a year, but a number of other highly drafted QB's started the season on the bench and started late in the season.

Jaylon Smith most likely won't go at #7 but it has nothing to do with being overrated and everything to do with his injury dropping him on boards. He's no longer considered a top 10 prospect.

If Tunsil or Stanley is there at 7, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we took one of them. We have almost no young talent on the offensive line - the most promising player is probably Trent Brown who was a 7th round pick. Guard is a bigger need than tackle, but you can move offensive linemen around (Zach Martin played left tackle at ND and was immediately one of the top guards in the country as a rookie).
1. A quarterback. Makes no sense with two young starters on the roster, and a handful of young former top picks likely available, cheap or free.

2. Jaylon Smith - Overrated when he was healthy. On the field for 5 minutes in Bowl Game and his team was down 14-0 then played much better without him the rest of the game. Tossed aside like a Frisbee by Taylor Decker on his last college play. Far too pleased with his own public image.

3.An OL. This draft is extremely deep in OL and I think the team likes the players it has on hand far more than the fans. A. Davis seems likely to return. D. Kilgore will be fully healthy for first time in 2 years. T. Brown looked good for a very young and raw rookie. M. Martin and B. Thomas are far better players than they've shown so far.

4. Robert Nkemdiche - Trent Baalke and Chip Kelly have both had more than their fill of flakes.

Who you think they definitely WON'T draft among the highly rated prospects?

1. Definitely don't agree with this statement. If Goff falls to #7, the Niners may sprint to the podium with the card. The kid has skills that some coach can develop.

2. Before he was injured in the bowl game, Smith was rated above Myles Jack in most projections that I saw. Now that he's hurt, he won't go 7th, but he still may be a first rounder.

3. M. Martin and B. Thomas are much better players than they've shown so far? When are they going to prove otherwise? OL is still a huge need.

4. Agree completely
Share 49ersWebzone