• Vance McDonald TE

Free Agency:
  • Malik Jackson DE
  • James Starks RB
  • Ladarius Green TE
  • Mitchell Schwartz RT
  • Oliver Vernon DE/OLB
  • Zach Brown ILB

We use free agency to address our two biggest needs: offensive tackle and pass rush, giving us flexibility in the draft. Starks and Green will come relatively cheap and should be very good fits in Kelly's system.

Draft:
Trade one 4th and two 5th's and a 6th for an additional 3rd this year and a 6th next year

1. Laquon Treadwell WR Ole' Miss
2. Eli Apple CB Ohio State
3a. Tyler Matakevich ILB Temple
3b. (acquired) Joshua Garnett G Stanford
4. Josh Ferguson RB Illinois
5. Adam Gotsis* DE Georgia Tech
6. Austin Blythe C Iowa
6. Victor Ochi OLB Stony Brook
6. Vernon Adams Jr QB Oregon

Treadwell, Apple, and potentially Matakevich are immediate starters, while Garnett provides insurance if AD doesn't fit at guard or doesn't come back at all. Ferguson fits well in Kelly's system and Adams Jr is an interesting developmental option at the end of the draft. Gotsis is a beast, but went down with a knee injury at the end of the year.

Depth Chart:

Offense (26):
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert, Vernon Adams Jr*
RB: Carlos Hyde, James Starks, Josh Ferguson*
FB: Bruce Miller
WR1: Torrey Smith, DeAndre Smelter
WR2: Laquon Treadwell, Quinton Patton
Slot: Bruce Ellington
TE: Ladarius Green, Blake Bell, Garrett Celek
RT: Marshall Schwartz, Trent Brown
RG: Anthony Davis, Andrew Tiller
C: Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Martin, Austin Blythe*
LG: Alex Boone, Joshua Garnett*
LT: Joe Staley, Erik Pears

Defense (24):
LDE: Arik Armstead, Quinton Dial
NT: Ian Williams, Mike Purcell
RDE: Malik Jackson, Tank Carradine
OLB: Aaron Lynch, Corey Lemonier, Victor Ochi*
ILB: Navorro Bowman, Gerald Hodges
ILB: Zach Brown, Tyler Matakevich*
OLB: Oliver Vernon, Eli Harold
CB: Tramaine Brock, Kenneth Acker
CB: Eli Apple*, Dontae Johnson, Keith Reaser
FS: Eric Reid, Jimmie Ward
SS: Antoine Bethea, Jaquiski Tartt

Special Teams (3):
K: Phil Dawson
P: Bradley Pinion
LS: Kyle Nelson

IR/PUP
Adam Gotsis* DE
[ Edited by Draftology on Jan 19, 2016 at 11:04 PM ]
Big fan of the LG pick up, he is very under rated IMO.
But not a fan of Matakevich, looks to me like he projects to be more of a 4-3 OLB rather than a 3-4 ILB.

Overall, solid mock
We should sign Jason Pierre Paul. We need help on our D-line, and signing him at this moment in time, he will be cheaper than what his talent is, and he could be a HUGE player for us..
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
We should sign Jason Pierre Paul. We need help on our D-line, and signing him at this moment in time, he will be cheaper than what his talent is, and he could be a HUGE player for us..

He is a true 4-3 DE, we wouldn't really have a position for him.
3-4 DEs need to be able to fight off double teams and draw them as well. JPP thrives off of 1 on 1 blocking and his skills would not translate here.
Jackson will be the best D-line FA for us out there
Disagree with cutting Vance... I really think in a good offense he can be a stud. He has ALL the tools: Blocking, Athleticism, Catching (drops a lot, but also a lot of it has to do with his inconsistent targets) and Speed. He has all the tools. Also think Harris fits better in this scheme than almost any other RB besides Hyde. So I'd pass on Starks and keep Harris who thrives on draws up the middle and in open space, aka Chip's offensive plan.

All in all, LOVE the draft. Great pickups and exactly what I'd want. Apple is a stud and Treadwell is my favorite player this year. Haven't watched much on Matakevich, but have heard great things...

Free agency wise, not so sold on Zach Brown or Starks... I would let Celek go (I do like him) and sign a TE like Green. Love the rest of the pickups and resigns. I would take either Vernon or Irvin, but prefer Irvin because we would take him away from Seattle and he would have a chip on his shoulder towards them.

Loved it!
Originally posted by Quest4six:

3-4 DEs need to be able to fight off double teams and draw them as well. JPP thrives off of 1 on 1 blocking and his skills would not translate here.

We could use him like we used Aldon? Honestly, I would take him, The only thing about that whole 4-3 thing is becuase his frame and size is built for the 4-3, But i personally think someone that bad A** can work in the 3-4.. We can just either A, send a linebacker in like you would a 4-3, and drop the other 3, or u can drop all 4 and have him take up a double team. The great thing about it is having him on the 3-4, O-Lineman wont know what to do with him because if we send the linebacker with him, that whole side is gonna get blown up. And if we dont, then they just wasted a blocker for no reason
[ Edited by SundayTicket on Jan 20, 2016 at 12:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:

We could use him like we used Aldon? Honestly, I would take him, The only thing about that whole 4-3 thing is becuase his frame and size is built for the 4-3, But i personally think someone that bad A** can work in the 3-4.. We can just either A, send a linebacker in like you would a 4-3, and drop the other 3, or u can drop all 4 and have him take up a double team. The great thing about it is having him on the 3-4, O-Lineman wont know what to do with him because if we send the linebacker with him, that whole side is gonna get blown up. And if we dont, then they just wasted a blocker for no reason

Thats the thing about Aldon, the guy is an anomaly of talent. His size, strength, and lateral ability make him the ideal prospect for a 3-4 OLB.
JPP doesn't have near the lateral quickness that Aldon had or what would be the minimum requirement. I do agree in the sense that he is a playmaker, and he would eventually start to be a force on our defense, but I'm not sure I would sink 4-8 million a year on him hoping that he pans out. He'll want to go to a team like Cincy or another 4-3 where he can play in a familiar setting and get his groove back after the injury to his hand

Who knows though, we could have had this convo 8 years ago and i'd probably be telling you why Balmer is a perfect fit here
Bruce Irvin or Wilkerson. make it happen stat. Boldin and Brother Vance can contribute in Chips offense
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jan 20, 2016 at 6:24 AM ]
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Why no Anquan Boldin?
1st one to get cut is the kicker we can draft the best college in the 4th. I think we're set at rb hyde, davis, harris. Te we don't need anymore we have Busta anderson, celek, McDonald , bell.we have a davis coming back he's a pro bowl put him at LG sign Mack probowl Center. Put tiller at r and leave Brown at Rt. I like the rest of the fa, we need a wr like Benjamin cleaveland. Cut Patton, brooks, boone, kap,

I can see Vance McDonald coming back, and being very effective , I actually like the 2 WR / 2 TE and 1 RB set, chip likes to run, I can see Vance having success in that formation , and with Bell and Celek already on the roster, we have some solid pieces in place to make that particular set work ....maybe we find a TE with Zack Ertz like skills and carry 4 TE's on the roster?
Signing 6 free agents seems a little optimistic. I like the targets, but they will likely get four at the most. The best three on your list would be Vernon, Schwartz and Jackson.

Eli Apple is a first rounder and I don't think he makes it to the 2nd. Maybe a William Jackson from Houston would be a nice alternative. Rest of the mock is excellent. Covers all the needs and good value all the way through. Nice work.
No way do I see Tennessee letting Zach Brown get away
I stopped reading after not seeing Pears' name under cut list. Plus no Boldin?
[ Edited by stonecold590 on Jan 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM ]
Originally posted by SSF49ers:
1st one to get cut is the kicker we can draft the best college in the 4th. I think we're set at rb hyde, davis, harris. Te we don't need anymore we have Busta anderson, celek, McDonald , bell.we have a davis coming back he's a pro bowl put him at LG sign Mack probowl Center. Put tiller at r and leave Brown at Rt. I like the rest of the fa, we need a wr like Benjamin cleaveland. Cut Patton, brooks, boone, kap,

Why waste a draft pick on a Kicker when we could just bring back Acosta. Kid is good. Proved it last camp and preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone