There are 252 users in the forums

Chip Kelly's Mock V.1.0

FREE AGENCY: - Rationale = We have the money.. lets spend it to give us a lift!
Olivier Vernon - OLB (makes the transition to 3-4 OLB)
Janoris Jenkins - CB (Takes away a good young talent from a division rival who adds depth to our secondary)
Kelechi Osemele - OG (Mountain of a man who adds to the middle of our Oline and replaces Boone)
Matt Forte - RB (Expierenced RB with a lot of miles on the tires but can still be productive especially sharing time with Hyde)

CUT or NOT RESIGNED:
Alex Boone OG
Glenn Dorsey DE
Ahmad Brooks OLB
Antoine Bethea SS
Jerome Simpson WR

Players Resigned/Returning:
Anquan Boldin WR (Boldin & Smelter give Chips Offense the underneath possession receivers needed to effectively run the offense)
Ian Williams NT
Phil Dawson K
Garrett Celek TE
Anthony Davis OT
Andrew Tiller OG

Contract Restructure:
Colin Kaepernick QB

49ERS 2016 DRAFT:

1st) Ronnie Stanley OT - Notre Dame 6'5 - 315lbs
Rationale= It does not matter who our QB is if he doesnt have a good Oline he will be ineffective. It makes sense to add depth to the most important position on the Oline, with Joe Staley getting up there in age and our RT position a proverbial cluster F with Anthony Davis (unreliable/unstable), Eric Pears (inconsistent OT - slightly better OG), Trenton Brown (young/unproven). Stanley was a little inconsistent in college but we could put him at RT for a year or two and put him in position to take over for Staley down the road.

2nd) Jaylon Smith MLB - Notre Dame - 6'2 - 235lbs
Rationale= I think his knee injury scares a lot of teams away and pushes him into the 2nd round. Baalke of course is not afraid of taking players with severe injuries. Jaylon partnered with Bowman pair to be a top inside linebacker duo in the league.

3rd) Max Tuerk C - USC - 6'6 - 285lbs
Rationale= Another player coming off injury who is a 1st or 2nd rounder if healthy. He isnt asked to play right away with Kilgore and Martin available. His quickness and athleticism fit Chips offense.

4th) Paul Perkins RB - UCLA - 6'1 - 225lbs
Rationale= Another Pac-12 guy. Good build and athleticism to complement Hyde.

4th) Aaron Burbridge WR - Michigan St - 6'1 - 208lbs
Rationale= Had a productive Senior campaign. Could develop nicely learning from Boldin & Smith.

5th) Alex Redmond - OG - Arizona St - 6'5 - 297lbs
Rationale= Athletic Guard that adds depth and competition to our interior.

5th) Rodney Hardrick - MLB - Oregon - 6'1 - 245lbs
Rationale= Athletic Chip Kelly recruit that underachieved.

6th) Cody Kessler - QB - USC - 6'1 - 210lbs
Rationale= Chip has a thing for USC QBs (Barkley, Sanchez). Kessler is maybe the best and most athletic of the recent Trojan signal callers.

6th) Derek Watt - FB - Wisconsin - 6'1 - 231lbs
Rationale= Pushes Bruce Miller for a roster spot.

6th) Geno Smith - S - Alabama - 6'0 - 196lbs
Rationale= Baalke likes his SEC DBs especially when he can get them on a flyer.

6th) Stephen Weatherly - OLB - Vanderbilt - 6'5 - 250lbs
Rationale= Early entry pass rusher who probably should of stayed in school another year.
I think you went over kill on OL.

Osemele is gonna want LT money IMO and I don't want to over spend on older RBs ( I'd prefer bringing Harris back and drafting someone). Who they heck is playing on the line? You have Davis, Osemele, Tiller, and Stanley all staying plus Kilgore ,Staley, Brown are still here and then spending a 3rd on a center

We are fine at the tackle positions IMO we need athletic OGs for Chip's offense.

Out of your 1st 4 picks (and added FAs) only one of those picks would see any playing time next season most likely.
Would love to have Vernon and Osemele!

Not Jenkins or Forte.

Excellent pick in Stanley.

IMO, he can be a franchise Tackle for years to come.

Very much like Jaylon Smith - AND just 1 injury player only - No more waiting projects

Not excited about the rest of the picks.
Kaepernick is not going to restructure his deal, Smith will not be there in the 2nd round (may not last till the late first round where we could trade up), and we shouldn't be looking at 30 year old RB's when we're rebuilding.
Not a fan of completely overstocking this O line with OT's and lacking guards. I hope Martin is cut, he is terrible by the way. Also, with Anthony Davis coming back, I think we could still sign Mitchell Schwartz and draft Treadwell as our future #1... Not sure why we are drafting a bunch of injured guys as well when we need play now, impact guys... I would like Jaylon in the 2nd, but his knee seems seriously messed up and not sure he can ever get back to what he was, which scares me... A fullback in Chip's offense is worthless, and drafting one with a guy like Bruce...? Makes no sense.
Am interested in Weatherly too, he could move up a bit.
Like the Stanley pick and Osmele signing but otherwise OL overload.

Dont see the need for another FB. Think that pass rusher and DL are bigger needs if youre cutting Brooks and Dorsey. Lynch, Vernon and Harold.....I think you still need at least one more guy to rotate in.

As far as the DL, rolling with just Armstead, Williams, Purcell, Dial and TJE aint happening.

Forte to me is not a good use of cap-space. Upgrading the OL alone will result in better output for every RB on the roster.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM ]
Would Jenkins even start at CB? Ward is a good spot CB and Jenkins is a bit short and gets burned too often. I think DJ will start and Brock as well.
No on USC QB's and OL
Don't like the Stanley pick like the Smith pick, and I really like the Max Tuerk pick. You're right that Tuerk has the athleticism to work in Kelly's offense. He's great in pass protection, and he;s all over the place blocking guys in the running game.

I really like Ryan Kelly from 'bama too.

Kicker is a huge need too. I'm all for spending a 4th on the dude from FSU.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think you went over kill on OL.

Osemele is gonna want LT money IMO and I don't want to over spend on older RBs ( I'd prefer bringing Harris back and drafting someone). Who they heck is playing on the line? You have Davis, Osemele, Tiller, and Stanley all staying plus Kilgore ,Staley, Brown are still here and then spending a 3rd on a center

We are fine at the tackle positions IMO we need athletic OGs for Chip's offense.

Out of your 1st 4 picks (and added FAs) only one of those picks would see any playing time next season most likely.

Great points here was my thinking..

Like you said we need more athletic Olinemen to play in Chips system.

Marcus Martin and Boone are probably gone.

Staley is still our LT for the time being until Stanely takes over. Stanley can play RT for now. Anthony Davis is not a reliable option, but I think he can compete at RT or even transition to RG since he is more athletic. I know he is being paid RT money which makes me think we might try to restructure his contract especially for the shiz he pulled last offseason. He needs to earn his stripes back, imo. Osmele can be dominate at LG and is a huge upgrade over Boone. Tiller could be resigned for a reasonable price and provide great depth in our interior. Tuerk is coming off an injury so Baalke might try to stash him on IR or the PUP. Redmond can fit for a spot in our interior. Silberman needs to show great improvement to stay on the PS. With this scenario I have us keeping 9 Olineman, which I think is realistic especially with Chips up tempo offense.

LT - Staley - Stanley
LG - Osemele - Tiller - Redmond
C - Kilgore - Tuerk
RG - Davis - Tiller
RT - Stanley - Brown

The Oline is the most important positional group we need to solidify this offseason. I think this plan does just that.
[ Edited by ChipKelly on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Great points here was my thinking..

Like you said we need more athletic Olinemen to play in Chips system.

Marcus Martin and Boone are probably gone.

Staley is still our LT for the time being until Stanely takes over. Stanley can play RT for now. Anthony Davis is not a reliable option, but I think he can compete at RT or even transition to RG since he is more athletic. I know he is being paid RT money which makes me think we might try to restructure his contract especially for the shiz he pulled last offseason. He needs to earn his stripes back, imo. Osmele can be dominate at LG and is a huge upgrade over Boone. Tiller could be resigned for a reasonable price and provide great depth in our interior. Tuerk is coming off an injury so Baalke might try to stash him on IR or the PUP. Redmond can fit for a spot in our interior. Silberman needs to show great improvement to stay on the PS. With this scenario I have us keeping 9 Olineman, which I think is realistic especially with Chips up tempo offense.

LT - Staley - Stanley
LG - Osemele - Tiller - Redmond
C - Kilgore - Tuerk
RG - Davis - Tiller
RT - Stanley - Brown

The Oline is the most important positional group we need to solidify this offseason. I think this plan does just that.

Like I said Oselmele is gonna want LT money because that's what he played a lot of this year and he did a good job. He's not gonna come over here getting OG money.

If Davis comes back he's a RT not a RG plus we have Brown as a tackle who didn't look bad at all. I'm not saying I don't like the emphasis on strengthening the OL (which you did) but we should be focusing on OGs not OTs.

I'd prefer to grab Alex mack in FA and move Kilgore to OG....focus on Jack, Buckner, or Treadwell with first pick also I'd draft a OG in the 3rd like Treola, Garnett, or Alexander.

Staley/Thomas, Kilgore/rookie, Mack/Martin, Tiller/rookie, Davis/Brown is a solid group IMO.
FYI: Andrew Tiller OG is already signed through 2016 (unless you meant to extend him).

In a year where we have the ammunition to add impact players, no way do I see these two top picks:

2nd) Jaylon Smith MLB - Notre Dame - 6'2 - 235lbs
Rationale= I think his knee injury scares a lot of teams away and pushes him into the 2nd round. Baalke of course is not afraid of taking players with severe injuries. Jaylon partnered with Bowman pair to be a top inside linebacker duo in the league.

3rd) Max Tuerk C - USC - 6'6 - 285lbs
Rationale= Another player coming off injury who is a 1st or 2nd rounder if healthy. He isnt asked to play right away with Kilgore and Martin available. His quickness and athleticism fit Chips offense.

But overall, really nice work and I like the positions you attacked!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM ]
Stanley is a solid pick and he will be there. I don't think the team will draft red-shirts that early, Baalke needs guys to come out running, his job is on the line. Jenkins is not necessary, the secondary has the talent and is on the verge of coming into its' own. If it's one thing Baalke can do it's finding DB's. I like Forte, he would be a killer on third downs and prolong his career.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Like I said Oselmele is gonna want LT money because that's what he played a lot of this year and he did a good job. He's not gonna come over here getting OG money.

If Davis comes back he's a RT not a RG plus we have Brown as a tackle who didn't look bad at all. I'm not saying I don't like the emphasis on strengthening the OL (which you did) but we should be focusing on OGs not OTs.

I'd prefer to grab Alex mack in FA and move Kilgore to OG....focus on Jack, Buckner, or Treadwell with first pick also I'd draft a OG in the 3rd like Treola, Garnett, or Alexander.

Staley/Thomas, Kilgore/rookie, Mack/Martin, Tiller/rookie, Davis/Brown is a solid group IMO.

Good way to attack the problem as well. Personally if we have a chance to bring in a young talent like Stanley to solidify the OT postion for years to come I would prefer that over Brown (unproven) Davis (unreliable).
Share 49ersWebzone