LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

The zone blocking OL thread

This is a good draft if you need help along the OL, all three positions are pretty strong in terms of depth. Considering the sort of blocking scheme that we can expect in a Chip Kelly offense, here is a list of OL's in the draft which fit those parameters. This isn't meant to be a comprehensive list by any means, just some players that I think can be good pro's and would fit well in this scheme. Feel free to add some names if you have some prospects in mind so that everyone can get familiar with some of the players that are out there.

Tackle-

Ronnie Stanley-OT-6'5", 310-Notre Dame. Stanley is one of the top two tackles in the draft and a great fit in a zone blocking scheme. Very athletic, tremendous movement ability with long arms and very quick feet, he could be drafted to play right tackle or left guard until he eventually shifts over to left tackle. A true franchise left tackle prospect, I think he could wind up as a very dominant player in this particular scheme. Smart guy with very good awareness for a college tackle, doesn't get penalized very often, very disciplined in his assignments. Top 10 pick.

Jason Spriggs-OT-6'6", 295-Indiana.
Spriggs is the best of the second tier of tackles IMO. Like Stanley he's a very athletic, fluid guy with great feet that could become an instant starter at right tackle and potentially take over at left tackle in a few years. Sprigg is just a great athlete, like Staley he played tight-end before, he's the opposite of your slow-footed mauler type, could stand to add some weight and improve his strength but he was gold as a pass blocker this year and has the requisite agility and quick feet that the zone blocking scheme demands. Late 1st rounder/early 2nd rounder.

Joe Haeg-OT-6'5", 305-North Dakota State University.
I've been singing his praises on here for awhile. Similar sort of tackle as Spriggs, a super athletic type that has been described as having "dancer's feet", another guy that I think could stand to add some strength and technique refinement, he especially could add some weight to his lower half. Even with that I could see him starting at right tackle as a rookie. He is a very experienced starter at tackle and has been crucial to the success that NDSU has enjoyed on offense. He played both tackle spots at NDSU and moved over to the left side after Billy Turner was drafted by Miami. He recently got invited to the Senior Bowl so it will be interesting to see how he does there. 3rd Round.

Tyler Johnstone-6'6", 300-Oregon. Johnstone is an absolutely perfect fit in a zone blocking scheme but injury issues have really plagued him throughout his college career. He has 1st round level talent but has had one injury problem after another, including multiple ACL tears. He could be a very nice value pick for someone if he can get healthy in the NFL. Could project to a starter at left tackle in a few years if healthy. 4th to 5th round.

Kyle Murphy-6'6", 300-Stanford.
Interesting prospect that is kind of a tweener. Could fit in any blocking scheme, might fit at right tackle or guard in the NFL. Plays with a strong base but I was surprised by how agile he is. He had a pretty good season and is another player that I'm following. 3rd Round.

Guard-

Nick Martin-OG/C-6'3", 300-Notre Dame.
Younger brother of the Cowboys OG. His versatility would be of great benefit. He has played both center and guard. Not the top prospect that his brother was but a very polished, talented and hard working lineman that is a natural leader. Has the awareness that you look for in a center, a guy that I could see potentially starting as a rookie or backing up both center and guard. 2nd-3rd Round.

Le'Raven Clark-OG/OT-6'5", 316-Texas Tech.
College tackle that is likely best suited to play on the inside in the NFL. Has played guard previously as well. Good agility and foot quickness, pretty raw in terms of his hand use and footwork, not a guy that you draft to be a starter but someone with the foundation to eventually be a quality starter in a zone blocking scheme. 4th-5th Round.

Spencer Drango-OG/OT-6'5", 315-Baylor.
Another college tackle that seems to project better playing inside in the NFL. My favorite prospect for the 49ers at guard. Shows good awareness, plays very physical but has been overmatched by speed rushers on the outside. Could see him starting at guard as a rookie, a very good fit overall for a zone blocking scheme, very tenacious, an experienced player that should have no problems moving inside at the next level. 2nd Round.

Center-

Ryan Kelly-C-6'4", 300-Alabama.

The top center in the draft is also a good fit for a zone blocking scheme. Has a great temperament and a bit of a mean streak to go along with his athleticism. Very technically sound, ready to be a starter from Day 1. Noted for his strong leadership ability, an experienced starter that is consistent and plays smart. Could stand to add some weight but has the mobility that is demanded of a center in Kelly's offense. 2nd Round

Mike Matthews-6'2", 290-Texas A&M.
Yes he is from "that" Matthews family. Not as heralded as some of his more famous relatives but a damn good center in his own right. Seems to be a guy who is vastly underrated. I see a guy that potentially can wind up as the best center that came out of this draft a few years down the road. Physically nothing about him is impressive, is athletic enough but mentally and in terms of technique he seems to have it all together. Should compete for a starting spot right away or be a valuable back at minimum. 5th Round
awesome read, thanks for the insight!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ryan Kelly-C-6'4", 300-Alabama.

The top center in the draft is also a good fit for a zone blocking scheme. Has a great temperament and a bit of a mean streak to go along with his athleticism. Very technically sound, ready to be a starter from Day 1. Noted for his strong leadership ability, an experienced starter that is consistent and plays smart. Could stand to add some weight but has the mobility that is demanded of a center in Kelly's offense. 2nd Round

I'd also add Joshua Garrnett to that list. He's the best OG coming out this year and he's versatile enough to play zbs and a pbs. 1st round talent that'll get picked top on the second (hopefully by us?)

Another name I'll throw in there is Max Turek. He could be Baalke's ACL special.

Great list tho.
[ Edited by shmuck on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone