LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Predict Niners 2016 Draft Strategy

I think we take treadwell at wr if he is there instead of a qb DL and ol. Simply bc a Davis is coming back and we just picked a de last year in the first. We have been picking defense early so many years and it's been working however with the emphasis on climbing to a top ten offense not since 2003 YES THATS RIGHT 12 years.....we give chip everything he needs to accomplish this. If treadwell is gone maybe an ol but we will have 3 good tackles when Davis comes back.

SF hasn't had a top wr in so dam long I think we finally get a playmaker. Baalke and York finally acknowledged the heat is on and the shortcomings on offense is the most dire need.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I myself would not mind staying put at 7, but only if the player we really want is still sittin in the green room.. We shouldn't force our self to do the OZZIE NEWSOME ways of taking the best player available, we need to target players that we want and need by all means..
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think we take treadwell at wr if he is there instead of a qb DL and ol. Simply bc a Davis is coming back and we just picked a de last year in the first. We have been picking defense early so many years and it's been working however with the emphasis on climbing to a top ten offense not since 2003 YES THATS RIGHT 12 years.....we give chip everything he needs to accomplish this. If treadwell is gone maybe an ol but we will have 3 good tackles when Davis comes back.

SF hasn't had a top wr in so dam long I think we finally get a playmaker. Baalke and York finally acknowledged the heat is on and the shortcomings on offense is the most dire need.

You may be right!
Pass rush
Oline
WR/RB
Oline
LB
Oline
TE
Front 7
Front 7
Front 7
Front 7
Well if it's not Kap we may draft QB in round 1??
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Well if it's not Kap we may draft QB in round 1??

Later rounds probably
I'm high on Treadwell. Does everything well and his potential is skyrocketing. Could be a superstar in the NFL... Reminds me of Alshon a lot but quicker. Would like him in the 1st.
What I would do is try to trade back with QB needy teams. Assuming one QB is off the board prior to the 49ers pick, they could then trade back to the Rams at #15 adding their #46 pick in the exchange. Very close to draft chart value. With two QBs off the board between Goff, Lynch, and Wentz, one of them might still be there at #15, and the 49ers could trade back to Houston at #22, adding their #53 overall pick in the exchange. Again, very close to draft chart value. This leaves the 9ers sitting at #22 with their first pick of the day, and NFL.com has Treadwell and several other interesting prospects listed in that range. With a ton of third day picks, and two extra seconds, Baalke has room to maneuver from there. Let's say Treadwell (or Conklin, Decker, Henry, etc.) is still on the board in the late teens and they're getting nervous, they could probably package a couple fourth round picks, or a third and a fourth to move ahead a couple spots in the draft. Or not, depending on how things go down.

That's a very exact strategy, so it probably has zero chance of occuring irl, but if I had any input into the draft I'd sure be advocating for calls to be made to those two teams. The trades do work out very well by the draft chart, and those are two teams that definitely would be looking to draft quarterbacks this year.

edit - the 9ers first fourth round pick is worth 100 points on the draft value chart, which means they could move back up three spots from #22 depending on how the draft unfolded. The two scouts at NFL.com had Treadwell listed at #18 overall and #23 overall respectively on their big boards. But if he goes earlier, there would still be some intriguing prospects available, such as OL Jack Conklin, Taylor Decker, TE Hunter Henry, RB Derrick Henry, WR Mike Thomas, etc. With all the extra fourth, fifth, sixth round picks they have I'm sure they could maneuver their first and second round picks close to the players they have targeted.
[ Edited by GreatGabbert on Jan 19, 2016 at 10:08 PM ]
Club has made two "draft picks" already, in red shirt DeAndre Smelter, and Eric Rogers out of the CFL. Both big bodied wide receivers. That would probably lessen the focus on the position at the top of the draft.
A little tidbit From GBN.....

A 49'ers scout spent a considerable amount of time talking with TLYER MARZ/OT/Wisconsin #64 after practice this afternoon. MARZ showed well at the RT slot during 1-on-1 drills during practice. On several occasions he stoned the pass rushing DE, while on others he controlled them by pushing the rusher way beyond the pocket. That is a big plus for MARZ, whose main strength is considered to be his run blocking ability.[b]

Share 49ersWebzone