There are 193 users in the forums

Predict Niners 2016 Draft Strategy

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
We got 12 picks not all are making the team trade up for the best players this guy needs to be aggressive in this draft

This year, all 12 players likely WILL make the team. We have a lot of holes. While we didn't need 12 picks during our good years, it is fantastic that we have 12 picks during our down year.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
At 7 I think they wait to see which BPA slips to them and take calls on trading down. Thinking of the Julio Jones draft

This would be my preference if they aren't going to take a QB or decide that they don't want to go DE for a second straight year. Trade down a few times into the 20's, use the extra picks to build the OL in what is an OL rich draft. I would go with Spence in the late 1st to provide a much needed dynamic pass rusher and then look at guys like Spriggs at tackle and Spencer Drango at guard in the 2nd round.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 18, 2016 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
At 7 I think they wait to see which BPA slips to them and take calls on trading down. Thinking of the Julio Jones draft

This would be my preference if they aren't going to take a QB or decide that they don't want to go DE for a second straight year. Trade down a few times into the 20's, use the extra picks to build the OL in what is an OL rich draft. I would go with Spence in the late 1st to provide a much needed dynamic pass rusher and then look at guys like Spriggs at tackle and Spencer Drango at guard in the 2nd round.

Looking back on that 2011 draft and wow, that might be one of the best draft classes of all-time. Here's quick list of some of the players in that 1st round: Newton, Von Miller, AJ Green, P.Peterson, J.Jones, A.Smith, T.Smith, JJWatt, Quinn, M.Pouncey, M.Wilerson.

As for your plan to trade down it may be possible but I think I differ from you somewhat. Every off-season people tend to fall in love with specific guys and that leads to "we need to trade up for this awesome guy" or "we need to trade down and stockpile all these amazing 2nd rounders". I believe what this team is missing is not more guys but elite guys. We have no star-calibre players in the pipeline on this team right now. So sure, we clearly need talent in most places but we also need some playmakers. Some pro-bowl calibre players.

My preference would be Buckner at this point (assuming Kaep stays). Aldon was a special pass rush talent but people forget how many opportunities J.Smith created for Aldon. Having two huge DE's in a 3-4 front seems like a win-win. It might improve Lynch's production and open up opportunities for others.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
We got 12 picks not all are making the team trade up for the best players this guy needs to be aggressive in this draft

This year, all 12 players likely WILL make the team. We have a lot of holes. While we didn't need 12 picks during our good years, it is fantastic that we have 12 picks during our down year.

12 picks in NOT likely to make this team to be realistic.
Very tempting to trade back this year if we don't land Bosa, Goff or Tunsil. If Ronnie Stanley is there at #7 he'll be difficult not to pick. Bucker will be hard to pass on as well. But at the end of the day, I see our LBs as a bigger need. I say we stay put and draft Miles Jack. He's got a rare bread of athleticism and he can cover! Our defense has had a difficult time covering TEs and this leaves the middle of the field exposed. Jack will shore this up quickly.

Then in the subsequent rounds we look at OL, OLB and WR.

BTW, we can live with Gabbert or Kap for one more year. Heck I'd even take a flyer on Vernon Adams late late in draft.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
1) Houston - Jarred Goff

Houston gets: 2016 - 7th overall, 2016 - 5th (from San Diego)
San Francisco gets: 2016 - 22nd overall, 2nd, 4th, and 2017 Houston 1st and 3rd

1 - 22) Noah Spence; OLB - EKU

2a) Sua Cravens; ILB - USC

2b) Jason Spriggs; OT - Indiana (pick from Houston)

3) Joshua Garnett; OG - Stanford

4a) Roberto Aguayo; K - FSU

4b) Maurice Canady; CB - Virginia (pick from Houston)

5a) Braxton Miller; WR - Ohio State

6a) Cyrus Jones; CB - Alabama

6b) Jacoby Bristkett; QB - NC State

7) Mike Matthews; C - Texas A&M
Originally posted by 9moon:
1) Houston - Jarred Goff

Intriguing. But with all due respect, if Goff is there and we don't draft him, I'm going to check myself into a sanitarium that has a padded cell....
Originally posted by 9moon:
1) Houston - Jarred Goff

That's good long term value. In hoping the Niners could do 2 trades. If there is a player a team really wants at 7, hoping to get a 1st and 2nd just outside of the top 10. Then maybe consider a second trade down.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I seriously doubt that Baalke will trade up in the first rd but I could easily see him going from the 7th pick down a few spots. If he stays at the 7th I think he will go with a lineman.. either Stanley on the OL or Buckner on the DL if they are there. I do not think they will take a QB with the 7th pick unless Goff falls to them.

If he trades down to get another 2nd rounder I could see him using that additional pick to move back into the end of the first round to select someone like Carson Wentz.

Come April, I wouldn't be shocked if Wentz was considered every bit the prospect that Goff is (though CLE is still likely to go with JG). Worse case IMO Wentz goes to the LA Rams at #15 if we pass on him at #7 so if they are looking for a trade back into the late 1st for a QB, Lynch might be the best option.

In fact, Daniel Jeremiah has Wentz going to Dallas at #4 (), so if BaalKelly want a young, dynamic, top-ranked QB they may be forced to go with Lynch at #7.

I think Wentz is going to be a very good QB.
Strategy will all depend on what happens in this order:

A). FA
B). Kap situation.
C). Who falls to us at #7

We must get some impact guys in FA. We have enough role players but lack difference makers.

The wars are still won in the trenches and both Oline and Dline need to be addressed.

It will be a bit easier in the draft selection of Kap stays.

If Stanley falls to us, IMO, it'd be a mistake not to take him.

Too many variables at this time.

First, I think they'll try to trade back if there is a decent offer. That is pretty much what all the teams drafting top 10 try to do first. Secondly, I seriously doubt they draft a quarterback in the first three rounds. Outside of that, anything can happen. I imagine they would use their #7 overall pick on Laquon Treadwell if he was still on the board. Other than that, I'm pretty sure they would take any reasonable offer to trade back.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Butter.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by fryet:

12 picks in NOT likely to make this team to be realistic.

But do they want 12 rookies? I'd much rather see them use their later picks to trade up and get quality over quantity.

Between FA and quality rookies, they can still add a lot of players.
I believe by the hiring of chip baalke gets a pass this year and goes and gets players that chip feels work for his system and the pressure will be on baalke next year
I would be ecstatic if Buckner falls to us and we move up late first round and take Jaylon Smith
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I seriously doubt that Baalke will trade up in the first rd but I could easily see him going from the 7th pick down a few spots. If he stays at the 7th I think he will go with a lineman.. either Stanley on the OL or Buckner on the DL if they are there. I do not think they will take a QB with the 7th pick unless Goff falls to them.

If he trades down to get another 2nd rounder I could see him using that additional pick to move back into the end of the first round to select someone like Carson Wentz.

Come April, I wouldn't be shocked if Wentz was considered every bit the prospect that Goff is (though CLE is still likely to go with JG). Worse case IMO Wentz goes to the LA Rams at #15 if we pass on him at #7 so if they are looking for a trade back into the late 1st for a QB, Lynch might be the best option.

In fact, Daniel Jeremiah has Wentz going to Dallas at #4 (), so if BaalKelly want a young, dynamic, top-ranked QB they may be forced to go with Lynch at #7.

I think Wentz is going to be a very good QB.
This draft seems full of players that need time to develop, I would just stay put at 7.
Share 49ersWebzone