LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 373 users in the forums

Emmanuel Ogbah- DE, Oklahoma St.

My early draft season dark horse selection for the 49ers at 7 would be Emmanuel Ogbah from Oklahoma St.

Based on current mocks this looks like a reach. It won't come draft day.

In my opinion he's the best potential 3-4 edge player in this draft (Noah Spence is close but the off field hurts him as a prospect). Ironically the closest comparable I would give him is Aldon Smith due to his size, long arms, and violent use of his hands. Something about him screams Trent Baalke and just looks natural getting after the qb.

He's been the best defensive player in the Big 12 the past 2 years with 11 sacks / 17 tackles for loss as a sophomore in 2014 and 13 sacks / 17.5 tackles for loss this season.

Check out the video below and tell me he doesn't atleast have some semblance of Aldon Smith (minus the off field).

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Jan 16, 2016 at 6:19 AM ]
Sorry mods, as soon as I posted I saw two pages back there is a thread on him. Feel free to merge.
That would be a reach. He'll a good all-around OLB, but nothing like Aldon. He doesn't have the same quickness and athleticism as Aldon. Ogbah's is based more on power. I think he compares well to Aaron Lynch.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Sorry mods, as soon as I posted I saw two pages back there is a thread on him. Feel free to merge.

merge that s**t
I like him but id we were to pick him I would trade down a bit.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:

I doubt he makes it out of the top 10 in this draft
Originally posted by ChipKelly:

Ehhh I do...he's still a little raw and is a a 4-3 DE or OLB? I'd love for SF to draft him there's a ton of upside but I think top 10 is a little high.
Originally posted by ChipKelly:

I'd be shocked if he goes in he top 10. I don't see it at all. First round, likely.
Search feature works wonders
  • afce
  • Veteran
He looks quick, long, athletic, strong, agile.

why would we pass him up if he is there.

i agree that he will move up the board when people see the tape on him.

great post.

i wanted a receiver until i watched the films

good pick.

how do you get this to Balke/Jed/Kelly

can we lobby?

• Furlow
  • Veteran
I like this pick a lot. It's easier to rebuild OL and WR via free agency. Pass rushers are much cheaper and can have more of an immediate impact through the draft.
Originally posted by strickac:
That would be a reach. He'll a good all-around OLB, but nothing like Aldon. He doesn't have the same quickness and athleticism as Aldon. Ogbah's is based more on power. I think he compares well to Aaron Lynch.

Even if he is more similar to Lynch, having a comparable player can maximize the ability of both. If you need a little more of a speed element you can mix in Eli Harold and keep everyone fresh. I know ideally picking at 7 you want a guy who has it all speed, power ,ect. I'm not saying he would be my choice at 7. However if our targets are gone he could be a plausible option in a trade down, or even at 7 if forced to make the pick there.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Even if he is more similar to Lynch, having a comparable player can maximize the ability of both. If you need a little more of a speed element you can mix in Eli Harold and keep everyone fresh. I know ideally picking at 7 you want a guy who has it all speed, power ,ect. I'm not saying he would be my choice at 7. However if our targets are gone he could be a plausible option in a trade down, or even at 7 if forced to make the pick there.

I think he's between the two. I think he appears to have better closing speed than Lynch, but not as good as Aldon. Aldon was just a killer; when he got by his man, he hit an extra gear and just flew to the QB. Lynch is certainly no slouch, but there's a reason why a lot of his wins were still hurries, instead of sacks.
Originally posted by Furlow:
I like this pick a lot. It's easier to rebuild OL and WR via free agency. Pass rushers are much cheaper and can have more of an immediate impact through the draft.

Right. Throwing more youth at an O-line weakness isn't always the answer. When we took A.D. and Iupati in 2010 it took a while for them to get up to speed before the O-line was considered one of the best. We were very lucky with them, a lot of young lineman doiin't develope (Brandon Thomas? Marcus Martin?). I'm not saying that you never take a lineman early, but more often than not you won't know what you have for a while. Free agency on the other hand usually offers a quicker return on investment, but that can probably be said about most positions. Right?
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I think he's between the two. I think he appears to have better closing speed than Lynch, but not as good as Aldon. Aldon was just a killer; when he got by his man, he hit an extra gear and just flew to the QB. Lynch is certainly no slouch, but there's a reason why a lot of his wins were still hurries, instead of sacks.

Sucks that Aldon decided to just piss it all away. At least Aldon isn't what he used to be. He wasn't doing anything special with the Raiders (3.5 sacks in 10 games). Khlil Mack is more of what Aldon was than the current Aldon Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone