LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

The Chip Kelly Mock Plan

Originally posted by jreff22:
He starts trying to cut valuable players he's going to piss of the fans and players quickly. He better find a way to utilize Miller.

Forealllll
He starts trying to cut valuable players he's going to piss of the fans and players quickly. He better find a way to utilize Miller.

good thing he can't cut players
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

good thing he can't cut players

***Trying to***
I don't know if we can cut Dorsey, he is currently injured, with an ACL tear, and he would need to pass a physical, or we could be on the hook for his base salary.

Don't agree with cutting Miller. Love FA signings, I would retain Boldin, he's worth keeping, whether he technically fits Chip's offense or not, I would keep him, he's our best possession WR.
I think the 49ers need to use Miller more.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Would be happy with this draft. I thought people weren't including Vernon in free agency because he's going to be re-signed or tagged by the Dolphins. He's on the best pass rushers in the league...

He's in the Wilkerson category of players too good to not be tagged in my opinion. He's only 25 too...

What's their cap situation?

They've got no cap room in 2016 right now, but they will cut guys like Quinton Coples ($7.75 million cap savings) and Cameron Waker ($8.4 million cap savings) to make room to tag Vernon before letting him walk in free agency. Teams will make room to keep 25 yo's who are this good. They also have plenty of cap room in 2017 if they want to restructure guys to make room.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/miami-dolphins/

You do realize they have more than one FA like Miller, Shelby (who pretty darn good and cheaper), Moore,and Thomas?

Plus they need cash for their draft picks, possible FA add ons (new coach new ideas), and teams need money in case injuries happen during the season.

They might want to extend Landry in 2017 as well that won't be cheap....can't resign everyone.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Would be happy with this draft. I thought people weren't including Vernon in free agency because he's going to be re-signed or tagged by the Dolphins. He's on the best pass rushers in the league...

He's in the Wilkerson category of players too good to not be tagged in my opinion. He's only 25 too...

What's their cap situation?

They've got no cap room in 2016 right now, but they will cut guys like Quinton Coples ($7.75 million cap savings) and Cameron Waker ($8.4 million cap savings) to make room to tag Vernon before letting him walk in free agency. Teams will make room to keep 25 yo's who are this good. They also have plenty of cap room in 2017 if they want to restructure guys to make room.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/miami-dolphins/

You do realize they have more than one FA like Miller, Shelby (who pretty darn good and cheaper), Moore,and Thomas?

Plus they need cash for their draft picks, possible FA add ons (new coach new ideas), and teams need money in case injuries happen during the season.

They might want to extend Landry in 2017 as well that won't be cheap....can't resign everyone.
That's what happens when you stupidly pay suh like a qb and have a mediocre qb taking up most of your cap space
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
That's what happens when you stupidly pay suh like a qb and have a mediocre qb taking up most of your cap space

Two players taking up over $40 million of their cap and your right it's not like tannehill is Drew Brees lol.

They have some good pieces on defense but they can't pay them all ya know? Shelby isn't as good as Vernon (in pass rush) but he was a top 20 edge defender this year especially when Wake went down. He'd cost half as much as Vernon and they be able to grab help in FA and resign Miller or Thomas.

I just don't see them tagging Vernon or anyone because of their cap problems.
Bruuuuccce!!!
I'd prefer Dak Prescott over Doughty as the developmental quarterback. Otherwise this mock is ffantasti.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Assumptions: We make a lot of moves and personnel changes to pivot the offense for Chip Kelly. We also make a few changes defensively to transition to a true 2 gap scheme with more man 2 man looks and sub a safety to the LB spot.

Key Resignings: Williams - NT, Davis - OT (unretires)

Key Cuts: Brooks - LB, Pears - OT, Dorsey - NT/DE, Miller - FB, Simpson - WR

Free Agency Signings:

Malik Jackson - DT/DE - Broncos: Outstanding player, cali guy, and familiar with Phillips 2 gap scheme. Dial rotates across all 3 positions.

Olivier Vernon - DE/LB - Dolphins: Our pass rush just got instantly better. Vernon and Lynch will be a force paired with Armstead and Jackson.

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals: Pac-12 player that Kelly traditionally likes, Jones is a cali native and fits the new scheme.

Brandon Carr - CB - Cowboys (cut): Fits the 3-4 man scheme better than Cowboys quasi-Tampa 2 4-3 zone scheme. Plus, they need to shred cap.

Sammie Lee Hill - NT/DE - Titans: Cheap backup that is effective in pass rush.

Zach Brown - ILB - Titans: Former 2nd round pick

NFL Draft:

49ers trade 1st for Bears 1st and 3rd round picks. Bears trade to select Myles Jack - perfect fit for their scheme. 49ers trade down to get...

R1: Taylor Decker - OT/OG - Ohio St. (via CHI): Immediately plugs into LG and becomes Staley's successor at LT. First team All Big Ten.

49ers trade 2nd and 4th round picks for Panthers 1st round pick. Team is stacked and they can afford to trade down.

R1: Jaylon Smith - ILB - Notre Dame (via CAR): Baalke's ACL team lead, Smith is a future starter in 2017, but slowly comes back in 2016.

R3: Devontae Booker - RB - Utah: Workhorse RB that can spell Davis and Hyde in the backfield.

R3: Kenny Lawler Jr. - WR - Cal (via CHI): Adds another piece in the Kelly WR unit to drive more playmaking ability.

R4: Max Tuerk - C/G/T - USC (comp): Recovering from a bad knee injury, Tuerk should be ready by training camp. Competes with Tiller at RG.

R5: Brandon Doughty - QB - Western Kentucky (via SD): Sans mobility, I think Doughty is an intriguing option at QB for Kelly's scheme.

R5: Devon Cajuste - WR/TE - Stanford: He could be our next Delanie Walker, Cajuste would be our #3 or 4 on the depth chart.

R5: Delvon Simmons - DT/DE - USC: Former Texas d-lineman now at USC, Simmons really impressed in the Holiday bowl.

R6: Jaden Oberkrom - K - TCU: 2nd best kicker in the draft.

Remaining players are PS guys or Baalke trades for future picks.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Gabbert/Doughty*
RB: Hyde/Booker*/Davis/Harris
TE: McDonald/Bell/Cajuste*

WR: Smith/Ellington
WR: Jones*/Smelter*
WR: Patton/Lawler Jr.*

LT: Staley/Brown
LG: Decker*/Thomas
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Tiller/Tuerk*
RT: Davis

LE: Jackson*/Dial
NT: Williams/Hill*
RE: Armstead/Simmons*

OLB: Vernon*/Lemonier/Carradine
ILB: Bowman/Brown*
ILB: Smith*/Hodges
OLB: Lynch/Harold

CB: Carr*/Brock/Reaser
CB: Johnson/Acker
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Tartt/McCray

ST: Oberkrom*, Pinion, Nelson

Is Ian Williams a stout enough player to be NT in a true 2 gap scheme ? He maybe, I'm just not sure we have seen that from him since he's been here.
Share 49ersWebzone