LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 354 users in the forums

Dak Prescott

• crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Agreed. I also agree with Phoenix saying his improvements has been significant. He's definitely the type of QB you look to develop and could turn into something

He had a good week. I expect the 49ers to take a QB at some point in the draft, if they don't take one in the 1st or 2nd, I think Prescott would be a good fit as a guy to develop in a Chip Kelly offense. He provides a lot of upside. One of the main things I look at when it comes to QB's entering the draft is their rate of improvement throughout college. Did a guy blow up early and then flatline, has a guy pretty much stayed flat throughout college or has a guy shown consistent improvement, year after year. Prescott is one of those who has shown consistent and substantial improvement year after year.

Physically he's one of the most intriguing QB's this year. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he has a great build for the position from top to bottom, a guy that is built really thick and is a handful to tackle. His toughness running the football has never been questioned but his passing ability has improved tremendously. Last year at this time I thought that the guy would have to change positions to play in the NFL but his ability to throw from the pocket, his accuracy, footwork, ball placement....all have shown serious improvement. I think if a team is committed to giving him a couple years to develop, he continue progressing and improving, eventually being able to start in the NFL.

I also don't think that there is a better system for him than the one that Kelly has. Prescott throws with great touch on his shorter throws, its when he has to go deep that his accuracy gets funky, largely due to some correctable mechanical issues, but as far as being able to get the ball out quickly, throw short passes right on the money and threaten a defense on the ground, he has the potential to be a pretty good player in this offense.

Agree, would pass on Goff/Wentz in the 1st and take Prescott in 3rd/4th. Would rather take Noah Spence in the 1st.
[ Edited by crew on Jan 29, 2016 at 7:38 PM ]
I like his drive. He took what the defense gave him and ran when he needed to. He'll give you that errant throw that'll frustrate you, but good start.

Wasn't hopefull for Dak, but he fits Chip's offense perfectly.
Originally posted by strickac:
I like his drive. He took what the defense gave him and ran when he needed to. He'll give you that errant throw that'll frustrate you, but good start.

NFL Draft Insider ‏@NFLDraftInsider 2h2 hours ago
Dak Prescott would fit in well with Chip Kelly and #49ers. He's had a great week.

If the 49ers don't go QB early, I'd like to see Prescott in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by strickac:

Dak Prescott would fit in well with Chip Kelly and #49ers. He's had a great week.

If the 49ers don't go QB early, I'd like to see Prescott in the 3rd or 4th round.

I agree.

Sounds good, but I don't think he will be available. Might have to trade up or down into the mid 2nd. I guess he will go in 2nd rd (pending combine, workouts, etc)
Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:
Sounds good, but I don't think he will be available. Might have to trade up or down into the mid 2nd. I guess he will go in 2nd rd (pending combine, workouts, etc)

I doubt it. I see early third at the very best. He has good upside but is still very much a work in progress. I expect Cook, Hackenberg, Brissett.....even potentially Cardale Jones to go before him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2016 at 4:26 AM ]
As noted by Mike Mayock and Charles Davis, Prescott's improved a lot as a QB. He's always been an excellent runner, but his passing game has made a lot of progress. Have to agree, his athleticism and overall improved play would have to be attractive to Kelly.
Y'all remember when Dak got jumped and kicked in the face/head? SMH that was wild man, I remember at the time hoping dude was ok.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Much rather have Cody Kessler.
This is a dude to watch out for at the combine. I wouldn't be mad at having a 2nd round pick spent on him if this is who Kelly handpicks as his guy.

https://twitter.com/PatKirwanCBS/status/697114520855187456

I have a feeling that if they forgo a QB early, Prescott is who the 49ers will go with.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Feb 22 Watch Dak Prescott vs. NC State and you walk away thinking this guy could start in the NFL.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Feb 22 Alert: I like Dak Prescott more than Connor Cook.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Feb 22 Give Prescott a lot of credit for developing as an in the pocket passer. He's improved his timing and placement a lot

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Feb 22 If you want a QB who can make things happen with his arm and legs when the protection breaks down, you'll like Dak Prescott a lot.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2618986-insider-buzz-dak-prescott-flying-up-draft-boards-could-be-next-russell-wilson
Dak Prescott sees himself in Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Prescott, arguably the greatest player in the history of Mississippi State football, is on the path to the NFL draft right now, preparing with quarterback guru Tom Shaw in Orlando, Florida, for next week's NFL scouting combine and his next chance to impress the league's decision-makers after a solid week at the Senior Bowl.

And thanks to Newton and Wilson, the climate for an athletic, dual-threat quarterback like Prescott has never been better.

"They've opened the door for the dual-threat quarterback in the NFL," Prescott said. "They're able to make all the throws from the pocket, move in the pocket, be pocket passers first and then eventually use their feet in running plays — or in pure pressure, getting out of there, being mobile and making things happen."

The door has been creaking open longer than Prescott remembers. From the legacy of Fran Tarkenton down through Randall Cunningham and on to Michael Vick, the NFL has always had a spot for transcendent players who were as capable on the hoof as they were in the pocket.

But Prescott, who is 6-foot-2 and weighs 226 pounds, is right to think the door is more open than it ever has been before. A dual-threat quarterback — Newton, Wilson and the 49ers' Colin Kaepernick — has been a part of the past four Super Bowls, and players like Tyrod Taylor and Marcus Mariota are proving how effective dual threats can be.

Prescott is the best dual-threat option in this year's draft, one of 10 players in FBS history to throw for more than 8,500 yards and rush for more than 2,000 in his collegiate career. He also said he thinks he has some of Newton and Wilson's leadership qualities.

"The person I am, my intangibles set me apart," Prescott said. "My ability to get others to follow, go out there and just lead, how I'm going to prepare for every situation as it unfolds on the field."

Prescott could have declared for the NFL draft after a breakout 2014 season that saw him finish eighth in the Heisman voting. Instead, the Haughton native returned to Starkville to take care of unfinished business, and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen had a message for his star quarterback.

"I don't need you to make extraordinary plays," Mullen told Prescott. "I want you to manage the game and just be a better quarterback out there."

Prescott responded with his best season as a passer. No longer tempted to pull the ball down and run if his primary option was covered, Prescott raised his completion percentage from 61.6 to 66.2 percent, threw for a career-best 3,793 yards and tossed 29 touchdowns to just five interceptions, even though his rushing totals were the lowest of his three years as a starter — 588 yards after running for 829 as a sophomore and 986 as a junior.

Offered a chance to sit in on every coaches meeting after graduating in December of his junior year, Prescott soaked up Mullen's offense, a scheme that he said runs many of the same plays he was taught by the Jacksonville Jaguars staff during Senior Bowl practices.

"I think (coming back) made me a better player, it improved my draft stock," Prescott said. "I was able to understand everything in the offense."

Prescott also said he believes he can show NFL teams he's got the maturity they crave in quarterbacks.

His mother, Peggy, died of colon cancer during his first season as a starter. He has a one-inch scar over his right eye after being attacked at a concert during spring break in Panama City, Florida.

Where he fits in the draft remains to be seen. In an uncertain quarterback class, Prescott is rising after earning Most Outstanding Player honors at the Senior Bowl — the NFL Network's Mike Mayock has Prescott ranked fifth among quarterbacks — but is a long shot to be picked in the first two rounds.

No matter where he's picked, Prescott said he believes he's ready for anything the NFL throws at him.

"(I'm) 22 years old, I've been through a lot of adversity," Prescott said. "I've been through some things that a lot of people don't go through until they're older in life. It's only helping me, it's only allowing me to become a better man and show that I can get through adversity, fight through it and come out on a positive note."

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestsports/14884862-55/mississippi-states-dak-prescott-says-mobility-maturity-make-him-a-good-fit-for-nfl
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
NICE.. VERY NICE... BUT AS A QB, YOU SUCK, BUDDY!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
NICE.. VERY NICE... BUT AS A QB, YOU SUCK, BUDDY!!!

Share 49ersWebzone