LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

49ersJordan 2016 mock 2.0

*EDITED WITH NEW HEAD COACH DUE TO HUE SIGNING WITH THE BROWNS. ALSO, KEEP KAP.

As earlier, I did a mock and now I am back at it. Here is an update on the HC and such who I WANT and realistically think we will get, along with signings.

HC: Chip Kelly. Let him work with Kap, Gabbert, and develop Wentz. He's a brilliant mind and would learn from his terrible mistakes from a personnel standpoint and such. My only question mark is Hyde fitting in with his O, but hey, Blount was a beast at Oregon under him. Kelly could make it happen.

OC: John Defilippo: Could definitely stay in Cleveland with Hue, but why not come here and work to develop Kap/Gabbert over a future star in Goff? LOL. Probably a pipe dream. Regardless I'd let chip call his own plays.

DC: Mike Pettine. This was edited. I originally had Mangini but Pettine has been a VERY good coordinator (multiple top 10 defenses), and runs similar things to Fangio. Would help this young D.

Cuts:
WR Jerome Simpson: Please go. Haha.
OT Eric Pears: BYE.
OLB Ahmad Brooks: Guy is a cancer on and off the field. Bye dude.
SS Antoine Bethea: Didn't know if we should trade or cut but ultimately don't think there is a market for this guy. Goodbye toine thank you for your contributions! Hell of a career.

Key note*: Trade Tramaine Brock for PHI 2017 5th round pick.

Resigns:
DT Ian Williams: This guy has been our whole defense this year in the trenches. He's dominant.
TE Garrett Celek: Came into his own this year and a consistent improvement from him and Vance will be huge.
RB Shaun Draughn: Our backup RB next year. He played super good.
K Phil Dawson: Sign the guy for a year. He has been so consistently good and could groom the next guy up.
DE Tony Jerrod Eddie: We need TJE back! He's a locker room guy and not too bad.
Key note: AD BACK!

Signings:
3-4 DE Derek Wolfe: He could be a huge pick up for this team and would definitely help pass rush and run stopping.
WR Marvin Jones: From Cal, he loves the Bay. Would be a good pickup since Boldin will most likely be gone.
C Alex Mack: Didn't have a great year by any means but still very consistent and our 2nd best lineman immediately.
3-4 OLB Bruce Irvin: FINALLY a competent pass rusher that can do damage. We miss you aldon. But, bring a seahawk here to add to the rivalry.
(Then we will probably have a couple smaller signings a.l.a Shareece Wright, Darnell Dockett, etc.)

Draft:
Trade pick 7 for the NYG 10th pick, pickup a 2nd and a 4th.
Trade both 2nd rounders, and an extra 5th for CIN 24th pick.
Trade DAL acquired 6th rounder for next years 6th rounder to any team.

1st round 10th: Mackenzie Alexander, Clemson: Not sure he falls this low, but wow, he is good. Watched his tape this year and I think he can be an immediate #1 cornerback. Bye Brock, Hello Alexander and DJ as 1/2 combo for the next 7+ years. (If not, I'd snag Stanley or Buckner at #7 if we didn't trade, or get Ogbah here at 10).

1st round 24th: QB Carson Wentz, NDSU: He could develop into an elite pro and has all the tools to be a beast. I think he is the 2nd best quarterback in this draft.

3rd round: Scooby Wright, Arizona: Borland 2.0. Instincts, relentlessness, everything reminds me of Chris. Baalke finds gems in the 3rd at MLB as well. This is another.

4th round: WR Braxton Miller, OSU: Some call him Quan 2.0, which I see the resemblance. I think he is more of a slot guy though and a GOOD one. Future steal of the draft.

4th round traded pick: OG Denver Kirkland, Arkansas: Big, large body that with proper coaching could be a beast. He held his own consistently and showed flashes of a future star. Versatile as well. Our future starting Guard I believe.

5th round: OLB Yannick Ngakoue, Maryland: Put up great numbers at Maryland. Could turn out to be a stud pass rusher in the future.

5th round: OT Tyler Johnstone, UO: Great production at Oregon, only hurt his stock due to injuries. He could be a future starter and Staley's successor.

6th round: DT DJ Reader, Clemson: Questions about his motor and such have led him to be considered a late round pick with 1-2 round ability. Could be a steal this late and had a great national championship performance, probably making him unavailable here.

6th round: SS Jordan Lucas, PSU: Since Bethea will be gone, I thought we could add another young secondary addition with a good safety. Lucas was a former WR and not sure we would go SS at all in this draft, but a good young backup with instincts is better than guys like Craig Dahl. Lol.

7th: K Brad Craddock, Maryland: Our future Kicker that could give competition to Phil, possibly leading to a cut. Craddock has great accuracy and wouldn't be a bad pick here. *Note: Most 7th rounders don't make the team, but he is a good kicker and Phil is getting up there. Also would be open to drafting a Guard here.

Depth Chart:

QB: Kaepernick/Gabbert/Wentz
RB: Hyde/Draughn/Davis/Hayne
FB: Miller
WR: Smith/Jones/Miller/Ellington/Smelter/Patton/Anderson
TE: McDonald/Celek/Bell/Anderson
OT: Staley/AD/Brown/Johnstone (good group)
OG: Kilgore/Tiller/Kirkland/Silberman
C: Mack/Martin
DE: Wolfe/Armstead/Dorsey/TJE
DT: Williams/Reader
OLB: Lynch/Irvin/Harold/Ngakoue/Carradine
MLB: Bowman/Hodges/Wright/Bellore
CB: Alexander/Johnson/Ward/Acker/Cromartie/Reaser
S: Reid/Tartt/Lucas/McCray
K: Dawson/Craddock
P: Pinion
[ Edited by 49ersJordan on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:35 PM ]
Nice job, I like the FA signings, except keping TJE.

The draft though, Kirkland won't last till round 4, he is a day 2 pick at worst, IMO best OG in the draft.

Not sure Yannick lasts till the 5th rd, and Wright till the 3rd.

Smart to move up for Wentz, might be a little too much though, 2 2nds should be enough, I think a 2nd and 4th might be enough.
Who would the Giants be trading up for? I don't think there's a huge difference between whoever they could get at 7 versus who's available at 10 so giving up a 2nd round pick to move up 3 spots doesn't make any sense from their perspective.

Given how flat the talent appears to be from 7 to 10, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick in exchange for moving from 7 to 10 (represents an even trade according to the draft value calculator). We could probably have gotten a 2nd round pick from moving to 10 if we lost to the Rams...

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Who would the Giants be trading up for? I don't think there's a huge difference between whoever they could get at 7 versus who's available at 10 so giving up a 2nd round pick to move up 3 spots doesn't make any sense from their perspective.

Given how flat the talent appears to be from 7 to 10, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick in exchange for moving from 7 to 10 (represents an even trade according to the draft value calculator). We could probably have gotten a 2nd round pick from moving to 10 if we lost to the Rams...

Trading back with the Rams at #15 would net their second round pick by the trade chart. They appear to be the most likely to want to move up for a QB, along with Houston at #22. Going to #22 would be a second and third round coming in + by the trade chart. Alexander isn't going to go 10th overall. Eli Apple has better tools and is 2 years younger. I'd wait for Apple in round two.
[ Edited by GreatGabbert on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:48 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Nice job, I like the FA signings, except keping TJE.

The draft though, Kirkland won't last till round 4, he is a day 2 pick at worst, IMO best OG in the draft.

Not sure Yannick lasts till the 5th rd, and Wright till the 3rd.

Smart to move up for Wentz, might be a little too much though, 2 2nds should be enough, I think a 2nd and 4th might be enough.

Yeah. CBS had Yannick a 5th round guy and Scooby a 3rd. I think since we have such early picks we do have a chance at them.

Possibly Buckner or Jack, who could both go before they pick.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:

Trading back with the Rams at #15 would net their second round pick by the trade chart. They appear to be the most likely to want to move up for a QB, along with Houston at #22. Going to #22 would be a second and third round coming in + by the trade chart. Alexander isn't going to go 10th overall. Eli Apple has better tools and is 2 years younger. I'd wait for Apple in round two.

I haven't watched much on Apple but all I know is Alexander is the real deal.
AMAZING FA haul
I like your thoughts very much! Mack is my hope as a FA signings but a strong DL would be important as well. Obviously, there are so many ways this draft could go that this is just a fun exercise, but let me ask a few questions that cropped up as I read...

1) Irvin plays in a 4/3 and he and Wolfe seem a bit undersized for the niners D. Do you think they are strong/big enough? Or are you expecting a different emphasis on D?

2) Kaepernick may be kept on the team due to injury clause in his contract. If they have to keep him, would you still draft a QB that high?

3) No OG or OT until the 4th and 5th rounds? Ouch! You are comfortable with the line just adding Mack?

These are the only three things I can think to pick on...
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I like your thoughts very much! Mack is my hope as a FA signings but a strong DL would be important as well. Obviously, there are so many ways this draft could go that this is just a fun exercise, but let me ask a few questions that cropped up as I read...

1) Irvin plays in a 4/3 and he and Wolfe seem a bit undersized for the niners D. Do you think they are strong/big enough? Or are you expecting a different emphasis on D?

2) Kaepernick may be kept on the team due to injury clause in his contract. If they have to keep him, would you still draft a QB that high?

3) No OG or OT until the 4th and 5th rounds? Ouch! You are comfortable with the line just adding Mack?

These are the only three things I can think to pick on...

Irving is known as a versatile guy but has been constantly respected for his pass rush. He was a pass rusher in college (22.5 sacks in 2 years). I think he could definitely be a versatile player and a key one in fact.

Wolfe has been commonly related to Justin Smith as far as taking double teams, amazing block shedding, a interior pass rush, etc. He is going to get paid big this offseason.

If Kaepernick stays on the team, still, yes. But it's a toss up. Wentz has obviously the upside in most everything within the 3 QB's and Kap may not be the long term answer. But I could also see Wentz being passed on due to Hue liking Kap. Hard question.

Yes. Kirkland and Johnston are pretty good and I think Brandon Thomas will be back as well. Tiller and Kilgore would be good guards and AD and Staley along with Brown as a great backup would make this O line good with an addition of Mack at Center.

Ultimately, I think FO wants Kap gone. That may be the deciding factor in Hue being the next 49ers coach or not, which is sad. Trust Hue's abilities to make quarterbacks legit. The cap hit on Kap is too big for his own good and he obviously won't restructure with us, so why not try and make it work.

Originally posted by 49ersJordan:
Irving is known as a versatile guy but has been constantly respected for his pass rush. He was a pass rusher in college (22.5 sacks in 2 years). I think he could definitely be a versatile player and a key one in fact.

Wolfe has been commonly related to Justin Smith as far as taking double teams, amazing block shedding, a interior pass rush, etc. He is going to get paid big this offseason.

If Kaepernick stays on the team, still, yes. But it's a toss up. Wentz has obviously the upside in most everything within the 3 QB's and Kap may not be the long term answer. But I could also see Wentz being passed on due to Hue liking Kap. Hard question.

Yes. Kirkland and Johnston are pretty good and I think Brandon Thomas will be back as well. Tiller and Kilgore would be good guards and AD and Staley along with Brown as a great backup would make this O line good with an addition of Mack at Center.

Ultimately, I think FO wants Kap gone. That may be the deciding factor in Hue being the next 49ers coach or not, which is sad. Trust Hue's abilities to make quarterbacks legit. The cap hit on Kap is too big for his own good and he obviously won't restructure with us, so why not try and make it work.

Kaepernick's cap hit will be unavoidable if he is injured on April 1...or, at least, that's my understanding. I believe it is in CK's interest to be injured in order to keep the contract intact. So I see very little likely-hood that they don't pay him. My hope is that they draft a guy like Wentz anyway and work toward rehabilitating CK in order to make a trade. If they can show during preseason that he is healthy and ready, there will be trading partners.

I tend to compare players to successful guys from the past, so am happy to hear your discription of Wolfe. Irvin seems like a stong pass rusher but not nearly as strong all around as Aldon Smith. But if they sign the guy I hope I'm wrong! The niners have cap space so I hope they can make these critical moves, particularly along the lines. I don't see many OLBs in the draft so getting a guy like Irvin would be helpful.

Thanks for your response, great job overall!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 13, 2016 at 12:35 AM ]
I could get behind this. I have a feeling Baalke is going to to spend money in FA on a OG this year. Other than that, it would be a nice haul.
I don't see the Giants giving us a #2 and a #4 pick to move up.

I can't see us carrying 2 kickers on the roster.

I also think we need another top RB to compliment Hyde. The other 3 are depth.

Don't forget about Smelter at WR. If we draft another I would prefer someone with break away speed.
Nice mock
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Kaepernick's cap hit will be unavoidable if he is injured on April 1...or, at least, that's my understanding. I believe it is in CK's interest to be injured in order to keep the contract intact. So I see very little likely-hood that they don't pay him. My hope is that they draft a guy like Wentz anyway and work toward rehabilitating CK in order to make a trade. If they can show during preseason that he is healthy and ready, there will be trading partners.

I tend to compare players to successful guys from the past, so am happy to hear your discription of Wolfe. Irvin seems like a stong pass rusher but not nearly as strong all around as Aldon Smith. But if they sign the guy I hope I'm wrong! The niners have cap space so I hope they can make these critical moves, particularly along the lines. I don't see many OLBs in the draft so getting a guy like Irvin would be helpful.

Thanks for your response, great job overall!

Yeah I could definitely see that situation with Kap being rehabilitated and traded. Not sure who would really take him though. His cap hit is still high and maybe a team like the Texans would try it out or something but I doubt that. It'll be interesting!

I don't think Bruce is the pass rusher Aldon was by any means that's for sure, but him and Lynch could be having 10+ sacks each and that would be a major upgrade from guys like Ahmad, Lemonier, Harold, Carradine, etc. Maybe having him would help guys like Harold and stuff learn better from his technique. Who knows. And thank you! Hopefully Baalke makes the right coaching decision. Who do you want? I'm definitely not for Coughlin that's for sure. I'd take Chip over Coughlin with hopes that chip won't ask for personnal moves. But again, curious to see who you want?
Share 49ersWebzone