There are 245 users in the forums

Bimbo Offseason Mock – Updated Chip Kelly Version

Posted an original mock back in November, and wanted to take another shot with the college / NFL seasons completed. This is pretty thorough, and spells out my overall methodology and approach. Overall, I'm prioritizing high-character guys in both FA and the draft as we're still recovering from all the off-field problems over the last few years, and need to develop our next batch of leaders.

Projected 2016 Cap Space – 70.7 Million
  • Current Cap Space = 54.9 Million
  • Cut Colin Kaepernick (8.5MM Savings)
  • Cut Ahmad Brooks (6.4MM Savings)
  • Cut Jerome Simpson (.9MM Savings)

Key Needs: Based on final PFF grades, and my own analysis, we need starting caliber players at the following positions:
  • QB
  • Oline (2 new starters, assuming Davis returns)
  • WR
  • TE
  • 3/4 DE
  • 3/4 OLB
  • ILB

Free Agency: I want to use Free Agency to focus on the offensive / defensive lines, as well as pass catchers. It takes time for rookie lineman to develop, so adding some vets will expedite our turn-around. Balke hasn't proven the ability to draft pass-catchers, so I'd spend the money to get a couple proven weapons in-house. On the offensive line, I'd look at either Tackles or Centers, as I'm hesitant to spend big money on a guard. Here are my main targets:

3/4 DE
  • Muhammad Wilkerson (#11 PFF Rank) – Age 26
  • Derek Wolfe (#10 PFF Rank) – Age 25
WR
  • Alshon Jeffery (#3 PFF Rank) – Age 26
  • Anquan Boldin (#33 PFF Rank) – Age 35
  • Marvin Jones (#40 PFF Rank) – Age 25
  • Travis Benjamin (#65 PFF Rank) – Age 26
OL
  • Alex Mack C (#13 PFF Rank) – Age 30
  • Manny Ramirez C (#5 PFF Rank) – Age 32
  • Stefen Wisniewski C (#16 PFF Rank) – Age 26
  • Mitchell Schwartz T (#7 PFF Rank) – Age 26
  • Cordy Glenn T (#10 PFF Rank) – Age 26
  • Alex Boone G/T (#39 PFF Rank) – Age 28
TE
  • Coby Fleener (#15 PFF Rank) – Age 27
  • Garrett Celek (#30 PFF Rank) – Age 27

Contracts Offered:
  • Alshon Jeffrey WR (5 year, 70 Million) – 14MM Average
  • Derek Wolfe DE (5 year 55 Million) – 11MM Average
  • Anthony Davis T (Reinstated) – 6.5MM Cap Hit
  • Coby Fleener (5 year 32.5 Million) – 6.5MM Average
  • Ian Williams NT (5 year 30 Million) – 6MM Average
  • Manny Ramirez C (2 year 12 Million) – 6MM Average
  • Total – 50 Million

There is a huge drop-off from Jeffrey to the next available WR's, and I'm not willing to gamble on Treadwell with our 1st round pick, so I'd pay the premium for Jeffrey who is one of the top 5 receivers in the game. Wolfe actually graded out higher than Wilkerson in 2015, and his leadership and motor help fill the void left by Justin Smith. I'd spend a bit extra to replace Celek with Fleener, who has the speed to threaten the seam. Ramirez gives us a versitle and effective lineman who can play either C or G depending on how the draft shakes out. He was the NFL's #5 ranked Guard in 2015, and can help hold the fort until some young players step up to become starters.

Priority Targets in Draft: The key remaining needs can all be addressed in the first two days draft, and below are the players I'd have on the board at each position

QB
  • Goff (#4 Overall Rank)
  • Lynch (#11 Overall Rank)
  • Wentz (#27 Overall Rank)
  • Cook (#44 Overall Rank)
OL
  • Ronnie Stanley T (#7 Overall Rank)
  • Germain Ifedi T/G (#33 Overall Rank)
  • Cody Whitehair G (#38 Overall Rank)
  • Vadal Alexaxnder G (#43 Overall Rank)
  • Ryan Kelly C (#56 Overall)
  • Landon Turner G (#65 Overall Rank)
  • Nick Martin C (#67 Overall Rank)
ILB
  • Myles Jack (#5 Overall)
  • Reggie Ragland (#15 Overall)
  • Darron Lee (#18 Overall)
  • Jaylon Smith (#21 Overall)
  • Su'a Cravens (#49 Overall)
  • Deion Jones (#72 Overall)
  • Tyler Matakevich (#81 Overall)
  • Scooby Wright II (#97 Overall)
3/4 OLB
  • Emmanuel Ogbah (#16 Overall)
  • Noah Spence (#39 Overall)
  • Shilque Calhoun (#48 Overall)
  • Joshua Perry (#54 Overall)
  • Carl Nassib (#60 Overall)
  • Jordan Jenkins (#71 Overall)
  • Bronson Kaufusi (#92 Overall)
  • Kyler Fackrell (#115 Overall)

Mock Draft
To give us an extra day 2 pick, 49ers trade their 4th (103 Overall), 5th (135 Overall) to the Patriots for their 3rd (93 Overall)
1 (7) – Jared Goff, QB
2 (39) – Cody Whitehair, G
3 (71) – Jordan Jenkins, OLB
3 (93) – Scooby Wright, ILB
4 (Comp) – Jack Allen, C
5 (SD) – Malcolm Mitchell, WR
5 (Comp) – Wendell Smallwood, RB
6 (Dallas) – Cre'Von LeBlanc, CB
6 (Denver) – Jordan Lucas, SS/CB
6 (Comp) – Brandon Doughty, QB
6 (Comp) – Marshall Morgan, K

Goff and Whithair are the top players at their positions in the draft, and help round out a remade offense. Jenkins and Wright are tenacious, instinctual leaders who can step in as starting linebackers alongside Bowman and Lynch. Rounds 4-6 add depth at key positions.

I realize that Goff is probably wishful thinking at #7, but I think there is a chance, and he'd be a no brainer pick if so. If he's gone, we could go with Staley at #7, and Wentz in the 2nd. Or combine #7 and #93 for a mid 1st and 2nd rounder, then take Darron Lee and Wentz. In any scenario, we should have the ammo to address 4 positions on the first two days of the draft.

2016 Depth Chart (new acquisitions in bold)

QB – Gabbert/Goff/Doughty
HB – Hyde/Davis/Smallwood/Harris
FB – Miller
TE – Fleener/McDonald/Bell
WR1 – Jeffrey/Smelter/Ellington
WR2 – Smith/Patton/Mitchell
LT – Staley / Brown
LG – Whitehair / Martin
C – Ramirez / Kilgore / Allen
RG – Tiller / Thomas
RT – Davis / Brown

LE – Armstead / Dial
NT – Williams / Dorsey
RE – Wolfe / Purcell
OLB – Lynch / Carradine / Lemonier
ILB – Wright / Hodges
ILB – Bowman / Skov
OLB – Jenkins / Harold
CB – Ward/Johnson/Reaser
SS – Tartt/Bathea/McCrea
FS – Reid/Lucas
CB – Brock/Acker/LeBlanc

Overall, this is a big infusion of talent and character for a team that desperately needs it. Our offense is remade with a QB of the future, 3 new o-line starters, and a couple of proven weapons in the receiving game. Along with the return of Hyde, this line-up (+ new coaching) will put our QB in a position to succeed as son as 2016. Defensively, we build on our success last year. The continued development of our young starters, along with a few key additions help us get back to the D we're used to.
[ Edited by Bimbo_Coles on Jan 14, 2016 at 1:54 PM ]
I like the FAs a lot but I would be leery of giving that contact to AJ with his injuries. Maybe get a cheaper Sanu or Jones. Would also like to see an OLB in there as well, maybe in place of Fleener.
Nice mock. Think i would rather have the younger center, but nice mock overall
Nice write up!!

I feel like AJ will resigned but I'd love to have him in SF.

Soild draft all around not sure Jenkins is there in the 3rd or goff at 7 but I'd love it!
Nice work love the effort and attention to to details!
Great free agency work...and I see you point with the draft...but I feel little so-so on that but overall I could live with this.

You should probably put a application in for balkke job!
Great work.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Nice write up!!

I feel like AJ will resigned but I'd love to have him in SF.

Soild draft all around not sure Jenkins is there in the 3rd or goff at 7 but I'd love it!

By covering our bases in Free Agency, we've got some flexibility to adapt in the draft. If Goff is gone, we could take Stanley or Jack in the 1st round then adapt the other picks accordingly. Here are two scenarios that still achieve similar results:

1. Stanley – OT
2. Wentz – QB
3a. Jenkins – OLB/DE
3b. Wright – ILB

1. Jack – ILB
2. Wentz – QB
3a. N Martin – C
3b. Kaufusi – OLB/DE

I could also see Baalke trading back to the middle of the first round and grabbing Lynch, or one of the ILB's (Lee, Ragland, or Smith) and netting another 2nd. In this case, we could end up with something like:

1. Lee – ILB
2a. Wentz – QB
2b. Calhoun – OLB/DE
3. N Martin – C
Great job!
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
By covering our bases in Free Agency, we've got some flexibility to adapt in the draft. If Goff is gone, we could take Stanley or Jack in the 1st round then adapt the other picks accordingly. Here are two scenarios that still achieve similar results:

1. Stanley – OT
2. Wentz – QB
3a. Jenkins – OLB/DE
3b. Wright – ILB

1. Jack – ILB
2. Wentz – QB
3a. N Martin – C
3b. Kaufusi – OLB/DE

I could also see Baalke trading back to the middle of the first round and grabbing Lynch, or one of the ILB's (Lee, Ragland, or Smith) and netting another 2nd. In this case, we could end up with something like:

1. Lee – ILB
2a. Wentz – QB
2b. Calhoun – OLB/DE
3. N Martin – C

Excellent write up and thanks for the work!

I prefer scenario #1 in bold.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I like the FAs a lot but I would be leery of giving that contact to AJ with his injuries. Maybe get a cheaper Sanu or Jones. Would also like to see an OLB in there as well, maybe in place of Fleener.

Yea and AJ always has hamstring issues tha tlinger the whole season. We might be better off drafting a WR. I mean look at all these young great WR's. You can find them in any round. We just have to draft better at that position.

Other thing is I don't know the going rate for barely average TE's but 6.5m a years seems a bit much for Fleener who hasn't been that productive. I'd just stick with what we got and save that money. Could use that money to upgrade Brock and/or Acker

Great write up and i love the draft as well.
I like the draft...except it seems like its a bit too Center centric.

I like Ramirez, Kilgore and it looks like Allen could be a good player, plus Marcus Martin can play center. My opinion is we roll with Kilgore/Allen with Martin as emergency, or if we sign Ramirez, Kilgore would need to be traded..

Nice work on this. Agree with kentc about too much attention being paid to the Center position, but most of those guys have played OG as well. Like the two QB draft and picks to shore up the LB corps. Don't think some of the prospects will be there when you select them (Goff, Jenkins, Doughty), but you didn't reach either. Would be happy with this offseason.
With Chip Kelly officially on-board, I just wanted to update my proposed mock off-season. The general approach doesn't change much, however I'd give Kaep another year in this system, and avoid taking a QB early. Here is my update:

Contracts Offered:
  • Derek Wolfe DE (5 year 55 Million) – 11MM Average
  • Alex Mack C (5 year 45 Million) – 9MM Average
  • Anthony Davis T (Reinstated) – 6.5MM Cap Hit
  • Ian Williams NT (5 year 30 Million) – 6MM Average
  • Marvin Jones WR (5 year 30 Million) – 6MM Average
  • Coby Fleener (5 year 25 Million) – 5MM Average
  • Total – 43.5 Million

Mock Draft
To give us an extra day 2 pick, 49ers trade their 4th (103 Overall), 5th (135 Overall) to the Patriots for their 3rd (93 Overall)
1 (7) – Myles Jack, ILB
2 (39) – Corey Coleman, WR
3 (71) – Jordan Jenkins, OLB
3 (93) – Christian Westerman, OG
4 (Comp) – Jack Allen, C
5 (SD) – Malcolm Mitchell, WR
5 (Comp) – Wendell Smallwood, RB
6 (Dallas) – Cre'Von LeBlanc, CB
6 (Denver) – Jordan Lucas, SS/CB
6 (Comp) – Brandon Doughty, QB
6 (Comp) – Marshall Morgan, K

Goff and Whithair are the top players at their positions in the draft, and help round out a remade offense. Jenkins and Wright are tenacious, instinctual leaders who can step in as starting linebackers alongside Bowman and Lynch. Rounds 4-6 add depth at key positions.

I realize that Goff is probably wishful thinking at #7, but I think there is a chance, and he'd be a no brainer pick if so. If he's gone, we could go with Staley at #7, and Wentz in the 2nd. Or combine #7 and #93 for a mid 1st and 2nd rounder, then take Darron Lee and Wentz. In any scenario, we should have the ammo to address 4 positions on the first two days of the draft.

2016 Depth Chart (new acquisitions in bold)

QB – Kaepernick/Gabbert/Doughty
HB – Hyde/Davis/Smallwood/Harris
FB – Miller
TE – Fleener/McDonald/Bell
WR – Jones/Smelter/Ellington
WR – Smith/Coleman/Patton/Mitchell
LT – Staley / Brown
LG – Kilgore / Westerman / Martin
C – Mack / Allen
RG – Tiller / Thomas
RT – Davis / Brown

LE – Armstead / Dial
NT – Williams / Dorsey
RE – Wolfe / Purcell
OLB – Lynch / Carradine / Lemonier
ILB – Jack / Hodges
ILB – Bowman / Skov
OLB – Jenkins / Harold
CB – Ward/Johnson/Reaser
SS – Tartt/Bathea/McCrea
FS – Reid/Lucas
CB – Brock/Acker/LeBlanc
I like the presentation of the Mock. Easy, clear. Well done. I don't think we will draft QB within the top 3 rounds. Kaepernick, I'm sure, is a massive piece in Kelly's initial plan. Probably the reason Chip is deciding to deal with the Sith York.
I love Alshon's game but is he a good fit for Chip Kelly's up tempo offense? I wouldn't mind splurging on either Wilkerson, Jeffrey, or Mack. Those are all big names at huge areas of need.
Baalke should draft WR with first 4 picks, one is bound to hit lol
Share 49ersWebzone