LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

MBA Mock Draft ver 3.0 Pre Wild Card Weekend

With the head coach still not determined and Wild Card weekend coming up, here is my third attempt at a mock based on the Niners current needs and NFL Draft Scout.com currrent prospect ranking. I have included three additional comp picks based on speculation from Niners Nation and some free agent targets that I would like to sign:

Free agent targets:

WR - Marvin Jones CIN or Mohammed Sanu, whichever one the Bengals don't re-sign
OLB - Bruce Irvin Seattle
DL - Derek Wolfe Denver
C - Alex Mack CLE

Round 1 Ronnie Stanley 6'6" 315 lbs OT Notre Dame - 2nd best OT and future replacement for Staley; Goff gone and I wouldn't take Lynch at this point
Round 2 Carson Wentz 6'5" 231 lbs QB North Dakota St - may not be here, but the best QB talent at this point
Round 3 Aziz s**ttu 6'3" 279 lbs DE Stanford - Need some d line depth and someone who can be disruptive on the inside.
Round 4 Braxton Miller 6'1" 215 lbs WR Ohio State - Anquan Boldin ver 2.0; still learning but a playmaker
Round 4 Comp Joe Schobert 6'1" 236 lbs OLB Wisconsin - need an backup OLB who can rush the passer and play the run; could move inside
Round 5 Yannick Ngakoue 6'2" 250 lbs OLB Maryland - double down on pass rush
Round 5 Comp Nate Sudfeld 6'6" 240 lbs QB Indiana - another double down on the team's biggest need
Round 6 Trae Elston 5'11" 197 lbs S Ole Miss- all 1st team SEC this year with 4 INT's and 16 PBU's; long term replacement for Bethea
Round 6 Comp Austin Blythe 6'2" 290 lbs C Iown - depth at C which may allow Kilgore to move to OG; 1st team All Big 10
Round 6 Comp Byron Marshall 5'9" 202 lbs RB/WR Oregon - injury special who can also return kicks

Your thoughts...........
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
A few thoughts:

"Louisville linebacker Devonte Fields tweeted Thursday that he will return for his senior year." - ESPN

Schobert projects more of a 3-4 ILB than OLB in my opinion based on size. I still like the pick.

Like the Stanley pick and the Wentz pick. Solid selections.

I'd like to get a pure WR instead of Miller from OSU.

Good players overall. Like to see your FA signing predictions as that goes hand in hand.
So what are we doing with Stanley til Staley retires? I don't like Wentz
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Dont see sudfeld going earlier?
Originally posted by GEEK:
A few thoughts:

"Louisville linebacker Devonte Fields tweeted Thursday that he will return for his senior year." - ESPN

Schobert projects more of a 3-4 ILB than OLB in my opinion based on size. I still like the pick.

Like the Stanley pick and the Wentz pick. Solid selections.

I'd like to get a pure WR instead of Miller from OSU.

Good players overall. Like to see your FA signing predictions as that goes hand in hand.

Thanks for the feedback GEEK. Here's a few targets in free agency that I would like to sign:

WR - Marvin Jones CIN or Mohammed Sanu, whichever one the Bengals don't re-sign
OLB - Bruce Irvin Seattle
DL - Derek Wolfe Denver
C - Alex Mack CLE

If Fields is returning to school and Schobert moves inside, I would hope that Yannick Ngakoue from Maryland would still be available in the early 5th round.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Play him on the right. Move AD to RG. But AD isnt really what I would call reliable anymore. Hes a little emotionally unstable.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Play him on the right. Move AD to RG. But AD isnt really what I would call reliable anymore. Hes a little emotionally unstable.

Dude was injured I can't call him emotionally unstable as if he's bout to jump off a bridge or something. I don't see it as smart to move AD as guard. Dude is a above average starting RT you don't move him to guard with the money he's making at that. I just really don't see the point in drafting Staley's replacement with a 1st rounder. This teams has needs all over the place. We need impact players. You can draft a guard in the 2nd/3rd round or free agency. And i like Stanley I just don't see him having much impact on this roster with AD coming back and Staley having 3/4 years left in the tank.
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 8, 2016 at 1:23 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Dude was injured I can't call him emotionally unstable as if he's bout to jump off a bridge or something. I don't see it as smart to move AD as guard. Dude is a above average starting RT you don't move him to guard with the money he's making at that. I just really don't see the point in drafting Staley's replacement with a 1st rounder. This teams has needs all over the place. We need impact players. You can draft a guard in the 2nd/3rd round or free agency. And i like Stanley I just don't see him having much impact on this roster with AD coming back and Staley having 3/4 years left in the tank.

I agree on the Stanley/Staley conversation.

I believe our OL problems, and they are significant, will go away given AD's healthy return and/or a strong move in FA for one of the several high-quality studs that will be there. Though some will re-sign/tagged, between Glenn, Osemele, Schwarz and Mack, we should be able to land one of them, maybe even two, and THEN we look at whether or not our #1 pick needs to be OL. I believe that need will be solved in FA, hence we look elsewhere.

Much rather see that #1 pick go to Treadwell or the best pass rusher available there. Those will prove to be more helpful adds than another OL.

Just my thoughts...

Nice mock. I like the direction but don't know enough yet about some of the lower lights to comment further.
We need OL, Pass Rusher, QB at the top of the list.

We also need a RB to pair up with Hyde.

We could also use a top quality ILB to pair with Bowman. A top quality TE, McDonald is inconsistant and injury prone, Celek is injury prone.

A young, fast , true#1 receiver wouldn't hurt either.

We will know more about the direction of the draft after we see if the 49ers make any moves in free agency.
[ Edited by MC9BEAT on Jan 8, 2016 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We need OL, Pass Rusher, QB at the top of the list.

We also need a RB to pair up with Hyde.

We could also use a top quality ILB to pair with Bowman. A top quality TE, McDonald is inconsistant and injury prone, Celek is injury prone.

A young, fast , true#1 receiver wouldn't hurt either.

We will know more about the direction of the draft after we see if the 49ers make any moves in free agency.

I think Draughn or DeJuan Harris can be the backup in this scenario. Do you think this draft and free agency signings meet most of the Niners needs?

Really like your draft.

FA selections - realistic and smart. We should be able to get 2

I really don't trust AD as far as I could throw him and I'm 5'6" 160 lbs. Trade him - we could get an excellent pick-up in a player or draft selection.

IMO, Stanley will be an All Pro Tackle and will be a 10 + year player. Also, he can start out at RT like Staley did when he joined the Niners. Then after 1-2 seasons move him to LT and Staley to RT while we've developed the RT of the future.
Share 49ersWebzone