LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

Vernon Adams - QB Oregon

If you guys haven't had a chance to see Vernon Adams this year, tune into the Alamo Bowl. I'd love to have the 49ers take him in a mid round. Dude is elusive, accurate, can make the deep, medium and short throws....I've see him elude rushers so many times like Russel Wilson then put the all on a dime for a big play downfield. Very similar to Russel Wilson.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
49ers need to stay away from QB's like this, we might as well keep Kaepernick if that's the case.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
49ers need to stay away from QB's like this, we might as well keep Kaepernick if that's the case.

Just because Kaep sucks it doesnt mean the team should never take an elusive QB who can throw on the move. Anyway, Kaep isnt great at escaping the rush while looking downfield for his receivers. He is fast but certainly not that quick laterally when it comes to avoiding sacks.

This kid does look good so far I have to say.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Just because Kaep sucks it doesnt mean the team should never take an elusive QB who can throw on the move. Anyway, Kaep isnt great at escaping the rush while looking downfield for his receivers. He is fast but certainly not that quick laterally when it comes to avoiding sacks.

Looks like a college QB to me, that running around stuff won't work for very long in the NFL. There's a reason you don't see too much of that from Manziel. This kid should've stepped up in the pocket instead of turning your back like that on that deep pass that turned out to be a penalty.
Vernon is nothing like Kap. That just proves you haven't seen him play. He rarely ever runs, he is very elusive like Russell Wilson. Kap has great straight line speed, but has very poor pocket awareness and doesn't elude guys. Being able to elude rushers and find an open man is a great skill to have at any level. And he can squeeze the ball into tight places both long, medium and short. Anyone can look good in college but not the NFL, but I think this guy can be a very good NFL QB.

Looks like a college QB to me, that running around stuff won't work for very long in the NFL. There's a reason you don't see too much of that from Manziel. This kid should've stepped up in the pocket instead of turning your back like that on that deep pass that turned out to be a penalty.

I dont think anyone would draft this kid with the intention of having him as an NFL starter. But, in the 6th or 7th rd he could be intriguing. As far as keeping Kaep goes... not a chance would I keep him given the contract.
Originally posted by Trath44:
Vernon is nothing like Kap. That just proves you haven't seen him play. He rarely ever runs, he is very elusive like Russell Wilson. Kap has great straight line speed, but has very poor pocket awareness and doesn't elude guys. Being able to elude rushers and find an open man is a great skill to have at any level. And he can squeeze the ball into tight places both long, medium and short. Anyone can look good in college but not the NFL, but I think this guy can be a very good NFL QB.

The odds are more likely that he never takes a single NFL snap at quarterback.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 2, 2016 at 5:09 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Where did I say he was like Kap?? I said we might as well just keep Kap. But now he's like Russell Wilson because he's short and elusive??
For one, Wilson is as good as any of the top QB's passing from the pocket, Adams the first sign of pressure and he's gone with the wind. Proof is in the pudding and watching this game RIGHT NOW.
Where did I say he was like Kap?? I said we might as well just keep Kap. But now he's like Russell Wilson because he's short and elusive??
For one, Wilson is as good as any of the top QB's passing from the pocket, Adams the first sign of pressure and he's gone with the wind. Proof is in the pudding and watching this game RIGHT NOW.

Can we stop comparing every short and athletic quarterback to Russell Wilson. Adams may even be as elusive as Wilson but Wilson got drafted for his passing talent above all else. He's a guy that was a Top 10 talent that fell largely due to his height. He was significantly ahead of Adams in terms of his development as a passer, particularly after coming from a pro style offense at Wisconsin.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 2, 2016 at 5:15 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Can we stop comparing every short and athletic quarterback to Russell Wilson. Adams may even be as elusive as Wilson but Wilson got drafted for his passing talent above all else. He's a guy that was a Top 10 talent that fell largely due to his height. He was significantly ahead of Adams in terms of his development as a passer, particularly after coming from a pro style offense at Wisconsin.

I remember people comparing Blake Sims QB from Alabama last year to Russell Wilson. lol

I dont understand why you would say we might as well keep Kaep when discussing this kid though. One has nothing to do with the other unless you are somehow trying to compare the two.

Kaep should not be on the 49ers next season regardless of who gets drafted simply because of his contract and his regression as a starting QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I dont understand why you would say we might as well keep Kaep when discussing this kid though. One has nothing to do with the other unless you are somehow trying to compare the two.

Kaep should not be on the 49ers next season regardless of who gets drafted simply because of his contract and his regression as a starting QB.

Because whether they are a like or not they are both scrambling QB's are they not?? I was actually saying more about keeping the mobile QB we already than comparing the two, you see the difference. Also why does he compare to Wilson, his play is nothing like it, if anything it compares to Manziel more??
I look at Vernon Adams, and I see more BJ Daniels than Russell Wilson.

Because whether they are a like or not they are both scrambling QB's are they not?? I was actually saying more about keeping the mobile QB we already than comparing the two, you see the difference. Also why does he compare to Wilson, his play is nothing like it, if anything it compares to Manziel more??

I didnt compare him to anyone including Wilson. As for Kaep, he may be mobile but he isnt evasive. I do think this kid is more like Wilson when it comes to avoiding a pass rush and really has nothing in common with Kaep other than being fast. But, in no way shape or form does he compare to Russell Wilson as an NFL talent.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The odds are more likely that he never takes a single NFL snap at quarterback.

The fact that someone thinks Vernon should be taking in the mid rounds in maddening. I like the kid, but his best shot at the NFL is as a WR.
Share 49ersWebzone