There are 136 users in the forums

Who would be your pick?

Who would be your pick?

Of course this is early and a lot can change with free agency but I'm curious what people would do right now if these were the options. I know the consensus seemed to be Jaylon Smith or Goff but if Goff is gone to say Cleveland and with Smith's injury now who do you take? Feel free to put post your reasoning as well. Maybe talk about what happens with Tomsula, Brooks, Anthony Davis, Kap, etc to justify your reason for picking who you did.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM ]
Where is Goff?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Where is Goff?

He said apart from Goff and Smith which is why I lost interest too.
Nkemdiche he's the best player of the bunch and at this point with all the holes the team gas u don't reach for a need u grab the best player available and bpa is always subject to someone's own belief but in my opinion Nkemdiche is the best available
[ Edited by SleezyT916 on Jan 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM ]
We need another Vernon but i like the guy and Baalke knows his dbs and if he grabs him then he will be a good player
Originally posted by Rascal:
Where is Goff?

He said apart from Goff and Smith which is why I lost interest too.

Now i have read it. Thanks.
I'll start. I think we are loaded at cb/s it's just a matter of getting Mangini away from them. If we had Donatell/Fangio we would still be a top 10-15 defense even with all the losses. So therefore I eliminate Hargreaves and Ramsey.

With us taking Armstead last year in the 1st I just don't see the need for another DL in the 1st. Re-sign Williams to go with Armstead and Dial. Purcell and Dorsey to go along with a draft pick would be my depth. Maybe mid rounds. If we lose Williams and Dorsey gets cut we might need to draft one higher especially if they are serious about Carradine at OLB. I don't think Robinson, Buckner, or Nkemdiche would be my choice.

Speaking of OLB I think Ogbah could be a darkhorse for us at 5. He has a lot of production and with Brooks likely being cut we could really use someone opposite of Lynch. Carradine could be that guy next year but he is a fa and will likely be gone after next season. Lemonier should also be gone before or after this next season. We need a pass rush and that leaves Lynch, Ogbah, (Carradine) and Harold for the future.

As much as I'd like Elliott and think he would be a great 1/2 punch with Hyde his attitude concerns me especially at 5 and not trading down. Plus it's hard to justify rb so high these days when you can get good ones in the mid to late rounds. I think Hyde, Harris/Draugh/Hayne (maybe even 2 of them), Davis and maybe a mid round rookie would be fine with me.

Treadwell would be tempting at 5 or especially if we traded down a few spots. I think we could use a #2 especially if Boldin retires but I dont think he will. Hopefully Smelter is a long term #2 or 3. Other than that we dont have much. I would put Treadwell as my #2 option after Ogbah but we could get a WR in the 2nd or in FA as well. We need another WR but Baalke doesnt have a good track record with them but it's probably our system more than anything. I wish there was a Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson a once in a generation type as the top wr vs Treadwell who could be as low as a mid 1st round guy. Then again if there were those type of prospects in the draft they would probably be gone by 5 anyways.

Stanley would be a nice safe pick but I think Staley will go a few more years yet and Brown/Davis can handle the other side. Throw in Kilgore, Tiller, maybe sign Osemele to play LG if Davis isn't back. Staley, Osemele, Kilgore, Tiller, Brown or Staley, Tiller, Kilgore, Davis, Brown looks a lot better to me and I dont see Stanley as a need although he would be a nice safe pick. Probably my 3rd choice after Ogbah and Treadwell

I would like Lynch a lot better if we got a new passing coach especially one who can throw deep. If we have Tomsula then he's probably a wasted pick until we can get a new staff. I do think we need a new qb but I'm starting to wonder if we should try to get Wentz in the 2nd or trade up into the late 1st and get him. Lynch probably isnt worth the 5th pick.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 2, 2016 at 11:45 AM ]
If those were my options, I'd trade back to pick 12 or so and target Stanley, Ogbah or Treadwell....in that order. If Goff if gone, no way Baalke stays put....trade back all day long and get more picks.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 2, 2016 at 11:42 AM ]
1. Lynch
2. Ramsey
3. Stanley

If Bosa, Tunsil, Goff, and Lynch are all gone, I'd try to trade back if possible. Ramsey is the BPA in this scenario but he may be best as a safety and hopefully Ward/Tartt can develop opposite Reid.

Why isn't Myles Jack included in the poll? I'd take him way before some of those choices. Are you assuming Jack goes top 4?
I picked Buckner.

I love Lynch upside but I don't like running QBs. Our DBs are pretty solid IMO so I think there is no need for Hargreaves or Ramsey. I don't think that Ogbah, Elliot and Treadwell provides good value. Nkemdiche has lots of red flags. Buckner is a much better fit than Robinson.

So it came down to Buckner or Stanley. Both are great but I think that DL is a much bigger need than the OL.

If Goff and Smith were available I would pick one of them.

You would still pick Smith at 5 even after the injury? What if he has to sit out year one?

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
1. Lynch
2. Ramsey
3. Stanley

If Bosa, Tunsil, Goff, and Lynch are all gone, I'd try to trade back if possible. Ramsey is the BPA in this scenario but he may be best as a safety and hopefully Ward/Tartt can develop opposite Reid.

Why isn't Myles Jack included in the poll? I'd take him way before some of those choices. Are you assuming Jack goes top 4?

I thought about Jack but 225 is too small for an OLB unless we go to a 4-3. You think he can gain 25-35 pounds to play 3-4 olb? Or would you bulk him up say 10-15 and make him an ILB? Also, an acl injury on top of that. I guess you cant rule him out at 5 because of that with Baalke but isn't that way too risky for that early of a pick.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 2, 2016 at 11:56 AM ]
NO
- any RB and CB, respectively.
We are certainly not a CB away from championship and you don't need a first-round RB to be good in this league.

OK
- DT Nkemdiche or Buckner who should be superior run defenders, compared to AA.

More OK
- QB Lynch

Perfect
- OT Stanley. Neither I trust ADavis nor Staley's health. Assume that Gabbert would look rock-solid behind an o-line that can pass protect.
I picked Buckner.

I love Lynch upside but I don't like running QBs. Our DBs are pretty solid IMO so I think there is no need for Hargreaves or Ramsey. I don't think that Ogbah, Elliot and Treadwell provides good value. Nkemdiche has lots of red flags. Buckner is a much better fit than Robinson.

So it came down to Buckner or Stanley. Both are great but I think that DL is a much bigger need than the OL.

Would you mind to explain it to me a little bit? I think that your ranking is quite exclusive
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You would still pick Smith at 5 even after the injury? What if he has to sit out year one?

I thought about Jack but 225 is too small for an OLB unless we go to a 4-3. You think he can gain 25-35 pounds to play 3-4 olb? Or would you bulk him up say 10-15 and make him an ILB?

He isn't 225. He's listed at 6'1 245 but may be closer to 235-240. He could play ILB for us right now and he'd be used primarily in coverage which is his biggest strength. Out OLB's almost never play in coverage. Jack could make up for a lot of our weakness there. He could play anywhere in a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4. I don't think it makes sense to have him constantly take on blockers and rush the passer as a 3-4 OLB.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
He isn't 225. He's listed at 6'1 245 but may be closer to 235-240. He could play ILB for us right now and he'd be used primarily in coverage which is his biggest strength. Out OLB's almost never play in coverage. Jack could make up for a lot of our weakness there. He could play anywhere in a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4. I don't think it makes sense to have him constantly take on blockers and rush the passer as a 3-4 OLB.

Ok so you would make him ilb in our 3-4? I guess if people were willing to take Smith as a 3-4 ilb Jack should be on the list too. I guess if youre going to take a 3-4 ilb that high they better be pretty special. I guess you could say Jack and Smith are or at least make a case for it. Personally I would be ok with Hodges or taking an ilb in the 2nd-3rd round but I can see why some would take these guys so high. I think we have bigger needs although they really could make an impact day 1 (if they were healthy). Edit: and I added him so you can vote for him if havent made a vote already.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 2, 2016 at 12:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone