There are 370 users in the forums

49ers OL. LOL still last in the league

• MFWIC
  • Veteran
Is it normal to use your high draft picks to pick up gun OL players?

Are they a avaialble in the draft as starters usually ? Or are they to young and need time to mature physically given how big these players tend to be.

I don't know enough about the draft, so excuse the question if it sounds wrong.

What I can see though is our OL stinks, and needs new talent. New coach may help but the turnstyles we have ATM seem to be very bad.

How can pears hold his spot?

Is it hard to get Ol players of good quality?
OL and QB are the two weakest position groups in the NFL. The style of college offenses has greatly diminished the development of those positions, which results in unpredictable transitions to the pro game.
I'm not convinced that we need to go OL in the first. Still think we may end up in decent shape there with Staley/Tiller/Kilgore/RG?/Brown with AD as competition and possibly RG. Then sign a G and draft one or 2 OL just not in the first.
I'd rather fill that need through FA
I'm all for taking o line in the first few rounds. I'd have no problem taking Stanley with our first pick.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I am guessing in this but the players in the Ol mature later as well as the players need to get bigger and stronger from college?

Any prospects from college for the bill though?

Donst matter what QB you have if you giving up 8 sacks a game, and multiple hurries under pressure from a terrible Ol
We can build our O-line through the draft, much like we did from 2007 to 2010, using first and second round picks. But it will take some time to see the fruits. I'd rather go free agency and build the defense through the draft + draft a franchise QB.
Originally posted by MFWIC:

I am guessing in this but the players in the Ol mature later as well as the players need to get bigger and stronger from college?

Donst matter what QB you have if you giving up 8 sacks a game, and multiple hurries under pressure from a terrible Ol

This is actually a very good draft deep with soild OL and DL players
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran

This is actually a very good draft deep with soild OL and DL players

Any names? Want to check em out to see your point.

Still kids though as i would think so still physically developing. From my humble experience in another league the young kids go fine for 2-3 weeks but waine after that due to the increased physicality of top level footY.

I guess in depends how far down the track you want to delveop to get in the super bowl.

If they go with FA then what is on the block and available as a first stringer straight up?

Still kids though as i would think so still physically developing. From my humble experience in another league the young kids go fine for 2-3 weeks but waine after that due to the increased physicality of top level footY.

I guess in depends how far down the track you want to delveop to get in the super bowl.

If they go with FA then what is on the block and available as a first stringer straight up?

OT:

Tunsil
Stanley
Decker

Are top 10-15picks IMO

Conklin
Ifedi
Alexander
Durango
Elfphein
Tretola
Martin

Should all be 2nd-3rd round

So there's a ton of depth at OT in this draft I think the best value is 2nd and 3rd

OT:

Tunsil
Stanley
Decker

Are top 10-15picks IMO

Conklin
Ifedi
Alexander
Durango
Elfphein
Tretola
Martin

Should all be 2nd-3rd round

So there's a ton of depth at OT in this draft I think the best value is 2nd and 3rd

You don't like Spriggs?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You don't like Spriggs?

forgot about him good call...ton of talent in this draft!
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 1, 2016 at 5:31 PM ]
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You don't like Spriggs?

Thanks for that, I have heard of stanley.

Q. If preseason stats are not considered a guide, is college stats a better or worse judgement?

Best way to try and understand this issue is to look back at successful and unsuccessful draft picks. KC drafted Morse and Peters last year in the second and first rounds and they both started (at center and CB). They picked Fisher #1 in the first round three years ago and he struggled at OT. It all depends on luck and the heart of the player drafted. It's also more difficult to play young guys at LT as opposed to interior spots.

Baalke tends to sign FAs for immediate needs and draft guys to develop as starters, but that's partly due to being in the hunt for several years. The niners had a good chance to reach the playoffs from 2011-2013 so going for FAs made sense. Bad teams tend to start rookies more often.

Joe Haeg.
Share 49ersWebzone