There are 160 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2016 NFL Draft Early QB Analysis and Projection

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I think the Rams draft Connor Cook, too costly to move up for Goff/Lynch and they desperately need a QB who can compete now.

Probably a good fit.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
So if it's up to you, would the best value be Goff/Spriggs, or Stanley/Wentz or Cook?

Gonna have to trade up to get Goff and Lynch. They are going to both be gone after the 4th pick. Goff would be the face of the franchise for a decade. That makes more sense than getting an OT.

Spriggs needs to play for a team that throws the ball 40+ times a game. He plays better in reverse than forward.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
So if it's up to you, would the best value be Goff/Spriggs, or Stanley/Wentz or Cook?

Gonna have to trade up to get Goff and Lynch. They are going to both be gone after the 4th pick. Goff would be the face of the franchise for a decade. That makes more sense than getting an OT.

Spriggs needs to play for a team that throws the ball 40+ times a game. He plays better in reverse than forward.

Do you think that Lynch and Goff will be gone at 4th? The Browns can decide to stay with Manziel(it's unlikely to happen but could happen) and I don't see the Cowboys or Chargers picking a QB in the top 5(IMO the Cowboys will look for a QB in the early 2nd or late 1st because they have Romo who's old but good).
MD...it's hard to know what the Niners will do WRT QB, in part because we don't know what Jed will do. If Holmgren's hired to replace Tomsula, he'd have a different view of the QB's. Ditto if Baalke is replaced. Based on how things are right now, I'd say Wentz is likely the guy they'll target. No matter who they draft, the OL has to be the biggest off-season priority. Staley's showing wear...I don't think he should be in the Pro Bowl, as IMHO, Boone has been our best OL this season. I'd hope he's offered an extension and re-signed. If not, there's more justification for a possible redo of the 2010 draft...take two of the best OL on the board early. Baalke's priority (assuming he stays on) is to re-sign Boone, but also stockpile as many picks as possible to give him the flexibility to move up & down the draft board to get the players needed. If he or a new GM doesn't do that, it really won't matter what QB they draft.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Goff for me:

1) Overall calm and collected demeanor, blitzes don't bother him. He is the opposite of Kap in this respect whereby Kap would panic and pull it down and run

2) Great pocket presence, can move around and stands tall in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield to deliver the ball

3) Great and fast footwork

4) Goes through his progressions

5) Can read defenses

6) Plethora of throws to choose from in his arsenal and has great touch
Agree. Looked very good in this game - don't know how much of it was due to a fairly poor AF Defense though.

I loved hearing the announcers talking about Goff's preparations, specifically what they call the "Manning Drill" where Goff is with a Coach and has to keep moving around in the pocket (small, shuffling steps, simulating avoiding pressure) while going through all of the possible reads for a given play as quickly as possible. Good combination of skills being practiced simultaneously and good prep for the game. Promising performance. Definitely needs to get a bit more muscle mass on his frame. Showed good combination of touch when needed as well as leading the receivers well on the longer passes. Did have a couple of throws where I thought WTF to myself, but it's hard to tell if he and the receiver read the Defense the same or if he was just throwing it away without getting called for a penalty.

I think I would be happy with picking Goff, but have a sneaking suspicion that 2 QB's will be gone by our pick (unless Dallas wins this weekend). If we win over St Louie, "fuhgetaboutit".
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Thoughts on ogbah switching to OLB?

I don't think it would be an optimal conversion. Not a quick-twitch athlete. Very powerful at the point of attack. More of a "cave in the pocket guy" than a "beat you around the corner". Very good college player, but I don't think he can drop well in coverage. Hips too tight. I'd keep him as a 43 DE

thanks...I'll be watching him at the combine for sure
MD,
Thanks for the insight. I love Goff's accuracy on deep passes. He had multiple "drop it in the bucket" passes against Air Force. We haven't had that in a long time.

One category you didn't cover that I think is really important (and a big strength of Goff's) is the ability to read a defense, going through progressions. It's my biggest concern with Lynch coming out of the offense they run, but I admittedly haven't watched a lot of Memphis games this year. What do you see from these guys?

I'm also surprised you consider Cook the most accurate. One of the big knocks on him is his low completion percentage. What do you attribute that to?

Thanks in advance.
I seriously doubt Baalke (if he's still around) takes anything besides a D-lineman or O-lineman. He
- hardly goes w/ the grain - although hasnt proven he can pick any better than the grain
- he cant be chastised for taking an o-lineman, as thats a big necessity and he can give the bs about blaine has shown enough
- if bossa were available, he cant be chastised for taking someone like him

All these discussions are mute, considering that Baalke will do whatever he thinks he wants to do and more often than not, is going to get it wrong.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:

Do you think that Lynch and Goff will be gone at 4th? The Browns can decide to stay with Manziel(it's unlikely to happen but could happen) and I don't see the Cowboys or Chargers picking a QB in the top 5(IMO the Cowboys will look for a QB in the early 2nd or late 1st because they have Romo who's old but good).

That would suck! I think we are 5th pick as of right now.
I agree with virtually everything you said. By my view, I see pretty much the same thing. I may be a little more skeptical on Goff, but for now, I lean towards him being a first rounder because I do see the skill set, even though I think his value is greatly inflated by this tremendously poor QB class.

As highly touted as Tunsil has been, I was shocked when I reviewed his footage and saw a player who didn't look dominant at all in pass protection.

I've also watched a lot of Jaylon Smith, and man.. I just find myself feeling so unsure. I want to like him, but my gut just tells me there is something there to give me doubt. We still have many months to go, so I'll have had the chance to re-watch these guys dozens of times to get a full analysis together.

I like Carson Wentz quite a bit, but fully agree that time to sit, learn, and adjust is paramount.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree with virtually everything you said. By my view, I see pretty much the same thing. I may be a little more skeptical on Goff, but for now, I lean towards him being a first rounder because I do see the skill set, even though I think his value is greatly inflated by this tremendously poor QB class.

As highly touted as Tunsil has been, I was shocked when I reviewed his footage and saw a player who didn't look dominant at all in pass protection.

I've also watched a lot of Jaylon Smith, and man.. I just find myself feeling so unsure. I want to like him, but my gut just tells me there is something there to give me doubt. We still have many months to go, so I'll have had the chance to re-watch these guys dozens of times to get a full analysis together.

I like Carson Wentz quite a bit, but fully agree that time to sit, learn, and adjust is paramount.

Absolutely true.

I don't know MD, I think one will be there at 5 if we don't lose our spot. One can argue Dallas should consider a QB this draft, but I don't see them drafting one this high. I do believe Cleveland will take a QB and my belief, maybe hope is that they take Lynch.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:

I don't know MD, I think one will be there at 5 if we don't lose our spot. One can argue Dallas should consider a QB this draft, but I don't see them drafting one this high. I do believe Cleveland will take a QB and my belief, maybe hope is that they take Lynch.

If a team falls inlove wit the remaining QB, Dalls is i a great spot to be a trade partner. We have to worry about far more than just the guys in front of us.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:

If a team falls inlove wit the remaining QB, Dalls is i a great spot to be a trade partner. We have to worry about far more than just the guys in front of us.

Dallas already said that they're open to a trade down but the only teams in the top 15 that I think would try to trade up to get a QB is the Eagles(picking at 12) and the Bears(picking at 14) however trading up to 4th would be too expensive to them(look at the Redskins and Rams trade in 2012).

Would be shocked to see either on the board at 5. The bidding begins for the number one pick begins right away with the Titans once they lose on Sunday. They can move down a few slots, get their OT of choice and get more picks.
Share 49ersWebzone