LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Reality check: QB's in round 1 & 2

Originally posted by DeHubb:
Folks want to bring in a young QB, that has decent at best WR, a bad OL, and an inconsistent run game..... Sounds like David Carr all over again.

We're in much better shape talent wise than Houston was at the time...no comparing a brand new expansion team to this roster. Carr would've killed to play on this roster.

Right now the biggest issue this team has for a young QB is the coaching staff and their inability to utilize the talent that's there.

OL needs to be improved upon no question but we've come a long way from just the start of the year by having Kilgore get healthy and replacing Devey in the lineup. If Anthony Davis comes back and is in shape we're decent.

Staley and Davis at OT
Kilgore at C

The two guard spots are the question marks but easy enough to bring guys in there. Hell Tiller could even do a decent job, in which case you're looking at just the other spot and we have the money to spend whether they wanted to bring back Boone or someone else.
Brady didn't get his first start until he was 24. Eli Manning didn't get his first win until he was 24. Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers were close to 25 before they got their first starts, I believe. Gabbert just turned 26 a month ago or so. He's less than a year older than McCarron.
[ Edited by GreatGabbert on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Folks want to bring in a young QB, that has decent at best WR, a bad OL, and an inconsistent run game..... Sounds like David Carr all over again.

what?

David Carr was the Houston Texans 1st draft pic when they were horrid and the team was just being assembled. Do was getting hit left and right and never develop. He was horrible but it his surrounding cast was just as bad. Which i believe contributed greatly to his inability to develop. He spent the rest of his career scared in the pocket. With our piss poor OL i wouldnt want to bring a young guy into that.
David Carr was the Houston Texans 1st draft pic when they were horrid and the team was just being assembled. Do was getting hit left and right and never develop. He was horrible but it his surrounding cast was just as bad. Which i believe contributed greatly to his inability to develop. He spent the rest of his career scared in the pocket. With our piss poor OL i wouldnt want to bring a young guy into that.

I think a lot of people forget that Houston was an expansion team when they drafted him. They literally had all other team's trash and the few free agents who wanted to come there.

That roster was like half rookies. Go look at it and you'll find like a handful of guys who you could consider capable starters.
Originally posted by genus49:
I think a lot of people forget that Houston was an expansion team when they drafted him. They literally had all other team's trash and the few free agents who wanted to come there.

That roster was like half rookies. Go look at it and you'll find like a handful of guys who you could consider capable starters.

I think the OL situation can be significantly improved through the draft and FA even if they draft a QB early. This is a pretty deep draft for OL, especially at tackle, there are quality prospects all the way through to the 4th round. Tackle and guard can all be improved through the draft, if they could sign a guy like Mack to start at center, they'd be eons beyond the group that they started the year with.
Originally posted by genus49:

Houston had some bad luck also. The expansion draft was designed to help them out and they selected Tony Boselli, who was a stud at the time. Injuries kept him off the field. They had some vets, but the team was rough.

Carr just wasn't that good. He took a lot of hits, but we have to put some of that on him. He rattled easy and braced for the hit. Like many other QBs, if he would've been protected better and placed in a more friendly system, he would've been fine.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I think part of the problem is the expectations that a 23 year old QB can come in and be like Brady from Day 1.

This.

You are talking about maybe 20% of the fan base. The rest don't expect that.

I prefer the Bill Walsh approach of letting the QB sit and gradually ease them into the starting role. I wouldn't mind it at all, no matter who the QB is or highly regarded the prospect is because it still is the best approach in my opinion.
I think the best approach would be drafting a lineman! No qb or rb can do smack behind our line! Grab a guard in the first and try to trade up to grab another o lineman like they did with iupati and davis both solid picks!
Originally posted by harv9er4life:
I think the best approach would be drafting a lineman! No qb or rb can do smack behind our line! Grab a guard in the first and try to trade up to grab another o lineman like they did with iupati and davis both solid picks!

Exactly what guard are you going to be drafting that early.

If Baalke takes a guard with a Top 5 pick, he should be fired right on the spot.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by harv9er4life:

Exactly what guard are you going to be drafting that early.

If Baalke takes a guard with a Top 5 pick, he should be fired right on the spot.

Maybe trading down? Only scenario I can think of......

Share 49ersWebzone