Kevin Hogan-QB-Stanford

• Jcool
  • Veteran
can he run?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
can he run?

2012: 55 attempts for 263 yards, 4.8 ypc and 2 TDs.
2013: 84 attempts for 355 yards, 4.2 ypc and 2 TDs.
2014: 91 attempts for 295 yards, 3.2 ypc and 5 TDs.
2015: 85 attempts for 336 yards, 4.0 ypc and 6 TDs.

Career: 315 attempts for 1249 yards, 4.0 ypc and 15 TDs.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 24, 2016 at 3:10 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
can he run?

He won't blow the tops off but he fairly capable if needed.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Chase Goodbread ‏@ChaseGoodbread
Wentz's hands (10") the 2nd biggest here among QBs (Kevin Hogan 10 1/8). Scouts from cold-weather teams are big on QB hand size. #Grips
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
It's usually this time of the year when people get a sense on the quarterbacks who may be rising up draft boards. The scouting community has pegged Kevin Hogan as the guy in 2016. Despite a somewhat erratic college career, he impressed several teams during the Senior Bowl with his arm strength and pass velocity. One criticism teams have of Hogan was his long wind-up. However, they may be pleasantly surprised when the Stanford senior works out at the Combine.

Since the Senior Bowl, Hogan has been working with John Ramsdell, a veteran NFL coach of 19 years whose student roster includes Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers and Cam Newton. Word circulating is Ramsdell has really helped Hogan shorten his throwing motion and the end result has been a hastened release and better velocity on passes. Teams believe Hogan has a great upside and will be a better pro passer than college thrower. A good throwing workout on Saturday will further improve his draft stock, which is seemingly on the rise.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Draft-Buzz-The-Name-To-Watch-At-QB/3d5a5429-afae-4154-995b-77c65e4369aa?campaign=phi:fanshare:twitter
Def worth getting in the later rounds
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Def worth getting in the later rounds

yep. i see him as a 6th rounder or 7th rounder after the Combine. He wont wow you with his arm strength, speed, or athletic ability but he is very smart and is accurate on short to intermediate throws. Dont expect him to chuck it down the field much but as a backup he could be very valuable in Chips system
Played down at the farm. Might as well keep him close. I'm not sure how he'll perform at the combine, but he left a good impression on people and scouts during the Rose Bowl, even if Mccaffrey stole the show.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
yep. i see him as a 6th rounder or 7th rounder after the Combine. He wont wow you with his arm strength, speed, or athletic ability but he is very smart and is accurate on short to intermediate throws. Dont expect him to chuck it down the field much but as a backup he could be very valuable in Chips system

I don't see him lasting that long. I think he'll interview well, do decently at the Combine and be gone in the 4th or 5th round. I think he'd be a perfect fit for a system such as Bill O'Brien's in Houston. Ideally if the 49ers could draft a QB like Goff or Wentz early, taking a guy like Hogan late would be perfect.

I've been on the Hogan bandwagon for a while now....he's my sleeper late round QB crush for this year
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
IMO better prospect than Sean Mannion who went in the 3rd round, so keep an eye on him there and I would not be surprised.
Kevin Hogan Scouts Inc Profile

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/49998/kevin-hogan

Mental Makeup-1-Experience in a pro-style system working from under center and in the shotgun. Took the next step in 2015 with his coverage recognition and decision making, showing much faster eyes than we saw from him early in career. He also got the ball out on time more consistently. Has full control at the line of scrimmage. Good awareness for the blitz, executing site adjustments and attacking voids if left in the back end. Returning from injury against USC was a great example of his toughness and competitiveness. Willing to hang in the pocket and deliver knowing he is going to take a shot. Needs to do a better job of deciphering when to keep a play alive versus when to cut his losses. Has had some ball security issues (24 career fumbles/12 lost). Finished career with a decent TD-INT ratio of 2.6-1, which improved to 3.4-1 in 2015.

Accuracy-2-Consistency of ball placement improved as a senior. Displays good short-to-intermediate accuracy and touch. Anticipates and throws receivers open versus zone coverage. He has above average accuracy while rolling to his right, but his accuracy suffers a bit when rolling left. Occasionally shows the ability to deliver ball accurately from an off-balanced platform. Low release point will cause the ball to sail when a throw calls for more trajectory/touch. Misses the target too often on rushed throws (usually when a receiver flashes late or when he works his way down to third/fourth read).

Release/Arm Strength-4-Elongated release. Longer load-to-arrival time due to wind up. Has a bad habit of tipping his hand by patting the ball before pulling the trigger. Ball doesn't always come clean off his hand. Batted balls will always be an issue due to low release point, but he does a nice job of locating throwing windows. Struggles to drive the ball vertically and must get it out on time to avoid underthrows.

Pocket Mobility-2-Above-average athlete with good foot quickness and overall mobility. Not an explosive runner, but he's nimble for a bigger quarterback and has quality strength and power to move the chains with his feet. Average poise in the pocket. Feels edge pressure well and will climb the pocket. But he needs to show more patience instead of vacating a clean pocket when his first or second read doesn't show right away. Does a nice job of keeping eyes downfield before electing to tuck and run.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

I don't see him lasting that long. I think he'll interview well, do decently at the Combine and be gone in the 4th or 5th round. I think he'd be a perfect fit for a system such as Bill O'Brien's in Houston. Ideally if the 49ers could draft a QB like Goff or Wentz early, taking a guy like Hogan late would be perfect.

That is what I was thinking 4th. Third is to high, since he will sit anyway or at least should. Use the comp 4th rounder if still available.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Hoosier Kid and Harbaugh's latest off spring would be the better choice over Hogan..
Share 49ersWebzone