LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Geek's December Mock Plan

Originally posted by GEEK:
Coaching Changes -

Let's be real. We'll splurge on one coach, but we are still locked with coaches with Tomsula connections.

New OC: Pep Hamilton (Baalke and Tomsula connection)

New OL/Ast. HC: Joe Philbin (Could be a Bill Callahan type signing)

Personnel Moves -

Trades:

Antonie Bethea and 5th round pick for Raiders 4th round pick. Replaces Woodson.

Colin Kaepernick and 4th round pick (via Raiders) traded for Eagles 3rd and 2017 conditional draft pick.

Tank Carradine for Cordarrelle Patterson - WR/KR - Vikings. Need depth at DE.

Cuts:

Pears - OT; Martin - C; McDonald - TE; Simpson - WR; Miller - FB; Lemonier - DE/LB; Brooks - DE/LB

Resign/Extend:

Davis - OT; Draughn - RB; Reid - S; Williams - NT/DE; Hodges - LB; Dawson - K; Dial - DT/DE; Tiller - G; Celek - TE

Free Agency Signings:

Alex Mack - C - Browns: Anchor for the middle of the line.

Olivier Vernon - DE/LB - Dolphins: One of the better pass rushers in the game, Vernon starts opposite of Lynch with Harold rotating in.

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals: Cali guy that replaces Boldin on our roster. Smelter, Patton, and Patterson compete for the #3 spot.

Colby Fleener - TE - Colts: Reunited with Hamilton, Fleener is an upgrade to McDonald.

Sammie Lee Hill - NT/DE - Titans: Spells Dial on 3rd downs as Hill specializes in pass rush.

Zach Brown - LB - Titans: Replaces Wilhoite as our swing backup to Hodges and Bowman.

NFL Draft -

R1: Ronnie Stanley - OT/OG - Notre Dame: Replaces Boone at LG and eventually succeeds Staley at LT.

R2: Carson Wentz - QB - NDSU: Has all the tools to be a good NFL QB, but needs time to learn the pro game.

R3: Kyle Murphy - OT/OG - Stanford: Starts at RG but slides to RT if Davis re-retires.

R3: Alex Collins - RB - Arkansas (via Eagles): Insurance policy for Davis and Hyde. Draughn converts to a HB/FB.

R4: Blake Martinez - LB - Stanford: Completes our depth transformation at ILB.

R4: Ian Seau - DE/LB - Nevada (comp): He's got the blood lines and had solid production in 2015. 4th on the depth chart at OLB.

R5: Hunter Sharp - WR - Utah State (via SD): Speedy WR to stretch the field.

R5: Sean Davis - FS - Maryland (comp): Solid safety that provides depth at the position with Bethea's departure.

R6: Cody Core - WR/TE - Ole Miss (via DAL): Bulks up to convert to TE. Could be our next Derek Carrier.

R6: Matt Johnson - QB - Bowling Green (via DEN): PS candidate that replaces Thompson.

R6: Nick Kelly - C - Arizona St (comp): Depth on the PS for our O-Line.

R6: Travis Green - RB - Bowling Green (comp): PS candidate but could compete with Davis and Hayne for a roster spot.

Depth Cart -

QB: Gabbert/Wentz (PS - Johnson)
RB: Hyde/Collins*/Davis/Draughn (RB/FB) (PS - Green)
TE: Fleener*/Celek/Bell/Core* (PS - Anderson)

WR: Smith/Smelter/Ellington (PS - Anderson)
WR: Jones*/Patton/Sharp*

LT: Staley
LG: Stanley*/Thomas
C: Mack*/Kilgore (PS - Kelly)
RG: Murphy*/Tiller
RT: Davis/Brown (PS - Childers)

LE: Armstead/Hill*
NT: Williams/Purcell
RE: Dial/Dorsey* (PS - Ramsey)

OLB: Vernon*/Harold
ILB: Bowman/Brown*/Bellore
ILB: Hodges/Martinez*
OLB: Lynch/Seau* (PS - Rush)

CB: Brock/Acker/Reaser
CB: Johnson/Ward/Cromartie
FS: Reid/Davis*
SS: Tartt/McCray (PS - Whitehead)

ST: Dawson, Pinion, Nelson

Solid mock, good job!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
No to trading Tank, they're placing him in a position he plays comfortable and I want to see how that goes. No to cutting Bruce Miller. No to cutting Martin, really young rookie who's having a bad year, needs chance to develop more... And just no.

Dont get the wisdom of cutting cheap young players. All for cutting pricier vets like Brooks, Pears...etc.

^^^this
Not bad mock. I say we try get Jaylon Smith in 1st. bpa in 2nd. 3rd DE depth and a receiving running back threat ala josh ferguson.
We keep Colin 1 more season and we have a qb competition which will i think he will make him better and hopefully resurrect his career. This team lost so much. Playcalling sucks for him to succeed. I would love for them to hire pep and maybe get al saunders as passing game coordinator. I like us getting marvin jones bring boldin to play slot. Alex mack, maybe willerson, or derek wolfe and resign everybody.

we need D-Line depth too
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I would probably look to trade Anthony Davis in this mock if we are also going to draft Stanley. Kilgore is a good player and could start at LG. Maybe get another pick for Anthony Davis or else keep Davis and go in a different direction with our 1st pick.

Like the focus on experienced offensive minded coaches, I don't mind Pep Hamilton but if Mike McCoy gets fired in SD I'd love to bring him over with Philbin
[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM ]
I like it...nice job man
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lazy:
I would be upset if the 49ers cut Miller and traded Tank.

No to trading Tank, they're placing him in a position he plays comfortable and I want to see how that goes. No to cutting Bruce Miller. No to cutting Martin, really young rookie who's having a bad year, needs chance to develop more... And just no.

Dont get the wisdom of cutting cheap young players. All for cutting pricier vets like Brooks, Pears...etc.

If the players aren't producing after years 2 or 3, then I'm not exactly sure what you are hoping for when you really should start looking for the next man up. One of the reasons why we are in the current state is that Baalke's draft picks of Carradine, Lemonier, Martin, McDonald, Ellington, and others have not stepped up to the plate when the opportunities presented itself. All of those players have been granted some sort of role from the team, mostly to replace the injured/departed.

The Patriots, Packers, and even the Seahawks have no issues departing from a bust if they aren't working out.

Let's put pride aside. Those are bad picks for our team and scheme, and we should find replacements ASAP instead of hoping for their skills and talents to come to fruition.
Originally posted by lazy:
I would be upset if the 49ers cut Miller and traded Tank.

If the players aren't producing after years 2 or 3, then I'm not exactly sure what you are hoping for when you really should start looking for the next man up. One of the reasons why we are in the current state is that Baalke's draft picks of Carradine, Lemonier, Martin, McDonald, Ellington, and others have not stepped up to the plate when the opportunities presented itself. All of those players have been granted some sort of role from the team, mostly to replace the injured/departed.

The Patriots, Packers, and even the Seahawks have no issues departing from a bust if they aren't working out.

Let's put pride aside. Those are bad picks for our team and scheme, and we should find replacements ASAP instead of hoping for their skills and talents to come to fruition.

Why cut Miller then? He's produced from the first year he was drafted.

I don't see the point in cutting ties with Tank either when we are lacking players that can get at the QB and that's about all he's good at...We can all agree he was playing in the wrong position and not sure why you'd make a man gain 40 Lbs when he's recovering from a torn ACL? He's already down to like 270 which is he's natural weight. I want to see what he can do with more snaps at OLB. Give him the Aldon Smith treatment by just putting him in on 3rd downs next year. Brooks is as good as gone and we need pass rushers (we can never had enough of those).

Just my two cents
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Why cut Miller then? He's produced from the first year he was drafted.

I don't see the point in cutting ties with Tank either when we are lacking players that can get at the QB and that's about all he's good at...We can all agree he was playing in the wrong position and not sure why you'd make a man gain 40 Lbs when he's recovering from a torn ACL? He's already down to like 270 which is he's natural weight. I want to see what he can do with more snaps at OLB. Give him the Aldon Smith treatment by just putting him in on 3rd downs next year. Brooks is as good as gone and we need pass rushers (we can never had enough of those).

Just my two cents

His blocking skills have declined but he's still okay on special teams. I think a guy like Draughn is a better fit as a pass catching, run blocking and running RB/FB hybrid that can also play special teams. He provides more value than Miller.

On the Tank pushback, he's either prepping for 3-4 OLB conversion or he's increasing his trade bait value to be in shape for a 4-3 DE scheme fit. I really doubt he will convert to our scheme - he lacks the lateral mobility to be that guy.
His blocking skills have declined but he's still okay on special teams. I think a guy like Draughn is a better fit as a pass catching, run blocking and running RB/FB hybrid that can also play special teams. He provides more value than Miller.

On the Tank pushback, he's either prepping for 3-4 OLB conversion or he's increasing his trade bait value to be in shape for a 4-3 DE scheme fit. I really doubt he will convert to our scheme - he lacks the lateral mobility to be that guy.

Fair enough yeah I doubt we change to a 4-3 I didn't think lynch would have the lateral movement when he packed on the lbs either.

I also thinks it fair to say everyone dropped in blocking this year not just Miller no reason draughn can't be in th mix as well (cheap option)

I appreciate the write up
I'm willing to give Tank one more year but McDonald and Martin can kick rocks immediately. Young and cheap is good when you are actually a good contributing player. But if you suck ass and hurt more than help the team than you need to be released. Nobody can tell me with a straight face that McDonald and Martin actually help this team. They weren't good picks and they aren't developing at all. Cut bait

Umm... what happened to Anquan Boldin?
Agree with the rest of the posters about trading young, cheap players like Carradine and Martin.

Great free agent targets but I think the max the Niners will get out of that group is 4 players. Your top 4 would be just fine with me.

Good mock draft and solid offseason. Nice work.
Share 49ersWebzone