LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 184 users in the forums

DTG 2016 Mock #1

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes, I kept looking at ways to justify Goff or Lynch falling to #6 but couldn't figure out how that would happen. I could see a trade up. After the first round I couldn't find a guy until late midrounds and didn't really like them. So my thinking is that they will go with a veteran backup, trade up for Goff or Lynch, or keep Kaepernick. I didn't want to start projecting trades but that would be one option if they like either guy as a franchise QB.

Smith is listed as an OLB on CBS' prospect list so I stayed with that thinking. He's athletic and versatile enough to play either, but the niners need speed and strength on the edge.

Staley is the only solid OL on the team currently. Kilgore would be if he'd stayed healthy. If he goes down they desperately need someone to step in on the left side. Boone has been the insurance for years, but they can't afford to monkey around with the OL again. If you want to rely on Staley, Brown and Davis that's fine but I'd prefer to have both tackle spots solid with a very solid backup. I don't trust Davis, Brown has played minimally, and Staley has a history of back issues.

Smith is an athlete...perhaps the best available. Whether he plays OLB or ILB he would immediately compete for a starting spot based on his power and speed. He isn't small, at 6-4 and 240 but would need to add five to ten pounds to play OLB for the niners. His strength is one factor that lessens weight concerns for me. Fred Dean wasn't a very big guy but he could bench press OTs.

I never said not to get OL help I said I don't under why people keep saying we need to find Joe's replacement?

Cbs is the only place I saw him at 240 everywhere else he's listed at 230...it will be interesting to see what he's at when the combine comes around. In my eyes he's a stud ILB and to put him as a OLB would be a waste. I highly doubt Baalke sees him as a full time OLB.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Really like the draft.

IMO, Tunsil would be superb if available. It would be a VERY tough call w/Smith and Tunsil. Both are absolute winners!

You hit the nail on the head w/Staley and I don't trust AD as far as I can throw him.

I think we could move Staley back to RT where he'd be able to play longer and give time to develop Trent Brown.

Also Blake Martinez would be an excellent pick up - I think the guy will be an excellent NFL player for years to come.

Why in th world would you move a stud LT and pro-bowler to the right side? Your best player goes on the left side and he is and has been that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I never said not to get OL help I said I don't under why people keep saying we need to find Joe's replacement?

Cbs is the only place I saw him at 240 everywhere else he's listed at 230...it will be interesting to see what he's at when the combine comes around. In my eyes he's a stud ILB and to put him as a OLB would be a waste. I highly doubt Baalke sees him as a full time OLB.

Boone is a good backup for Staley. Boone is a free agent. The niners can pay Boone starting LT money or he's gone. They will need to find a backup/replacement for Staley. You have to anticipate and have guys ready to step in. If Staley plays another five years? Great...you can move the backup to RT or trade him. But you don't go into the season with no backup at LT.

I see Smith listed at 240 on ESPN as well as CBS. Most of the lower weights are taken from older stats...one lists him at 212, probably his weight from HS. He's about the same size as Eli Harold when Baalke drafted him.
Boone is a good backup for Staley. Boone is a free agent. The niners can pay Boone starting LT money or he's gone. They will need to find a backup/replacement for Staley. You have to anticipate and have guys ready to step in. If Staley plays another five years? Great...you can move the backup to RT or trade him. But you don't go into the season with no backup at LT.

I see Smith listed at 240 on ESPN as well as CBS. Most of the lower weights are taken from older stats...one lists him at 212, probably his weight from HS. He's about the same size as Eli Harold when Baalke drafted him.

Yes an Eli hasn't proven to be a solid OLB an he is about 10 lbs bigger. Baalke likes big long OLB espeically in the top 10....he won't be drafted to be a OLB no way no how. ILB is what he excels at dude and I'm cool with drafting him as long as it's to play ILB.

Why is Boone getting LT money? He's never even played LT ( outside of a game or so) in the NFL. If he's waiting around for LT money good luck he's not gonna get it.

Also Thomas played LT well in college at Clemson not sure why in the hell he hasn't gotten snaps but my only conclusion is the coaching staff doesn't no their ass from thier elbow ( waiting this long to give tiller the starting spot). I think we need to ditch this whole ZBS crap too because it's proven to be pointless and we can't run he ball to save our life.

Once again I'm cool with drafting OL,but this talk about replacing Staley ot moving him to RT is absurd...getting a healthy Davis and Kilgore will help a lot we will need a solid OG and maybe a FA vet OT if we don't resign Boone.
Yes an Eli hasn't proven to be a solid OLB an he is about 10 lbs bigger. Baalke likes big long OLB espeically in the top 10....he won't be drafted to be a OLB no way no how. ILB is what he excels at dude and I'm cool with drafting him as long as it's to play ILB.

Why is Boone getting LT money? He's never even played LT ( outside of a game or so) in the NFL. If he's waiting around for LT money good luck he's not gonna get it.

Also Thomas played LT well in college at Clemson not sure why in the hell he hasn't gotten snaps but my only conclusion is the coaching staff doesn't no their ass from thier elbow ( waiting this long to give tiller the starting spot). I think we need to ditch this whole ZBS crap too because it's proven to be pointless and we can't run he ball to save our life.

Once again I'm cool with drafting OL,but this talk about replacing Staley ot moving him to RT is absurd...getting a healthy Davis and Kilgore will help a lot we will need a solid OG and maybe a FA vet OT if we don't resign Boone.

My name isn't dude, but no matter...we disagree. Smith is a ferocious LB who is projected at either OLB or ILB. I don't look at players purely by size and assume they can't play a position--overall atheleticism trumps one characteristic. Smith may be just as good at either position but from what I've read he would be a terrific OLB. Eli is a bit of a project coming into the NFL but has a tremendous first step and quickness. Smith has that AND great strength. Different guys, but both may be excellent next year. With Brooks possibly leaving, as some project, the team needs a dynamic OLB. Smith is as close to that as there is in the draft.

If Boone can't get LT money with all the OLs around the NFL falling on their faces I'll be surprised. If he can't play LT why did the niners move him to LG so he could slide to LT if the need arose?

I don't know how to view Thomas and the OL in general unless the shift to ZBS completely eliminates the possitives of Thomas, Tiller, and Silberman. Now Tiller is playing so...

Either they go back to power OL next year or there will be a major shift bringing in FAs and draftees.

Edit: Harold supplanted Lemonier this year and next year Lemonier is likely gone.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 21, 2015 at 11:47 AM ]

Agree with most of this. Personally I think we're fine at OT. Balked drafted Thomas to be a LG, but he gets pushed around on the inside. He needs to works in space and should be getting reps at tackle. Either their protecting his knee or he's not progressing at guard.

It feels like another Tank scenario. Trent wants to grab athletic guys and force them to bulk up and play inside.
Really like the draft.

IMO, Tunsil would be superb if available. It would be a VERY tough call w/Smith and Tunsil. Both are absolute winners!

You hit the nail on the head w/Staley and I don't trust AD as far as I can throw him.

I think we could move Staley back to RT where he'd be able to play longer and give time to develop Trent Brown.

Also Blake Martinez would be an excellent pick up - I think the guy will be an excellent NFL player for years to come.

Why in th world would you move a stud LT and pro-bowler to the right side? Your best player goes on the left side and he is and has been that.

Not immediately but once a LT is ready either through FA or draft.

I'd opt for FA for a proven guy.

We have cap room and there are guys available.

He started out as a RT for us and has been a stud but that won't last in 2-3 years.
Really like the draft.

Not immediately but once a LT is ready either through FA or draft.

I'd opt for FA for a proven guy.

We have cap room and there are guys available.

He started out as a RT for us and has been a stud but that won't last in 2-3 years.

The reason I chose to fill this in the draft is that Staley is likely to play for a few years while the draft pick develops. Then I picked up a FA OT to compete with Brown so they can let Pears go.

I would like to see them over compensate as they seem to have so many questions.

My name isn't dude, but no matter...we disagree. Smith is a ferocious LB who is projected at either OLB or ILB. I don't look at players purely by size and assume they can't play a position--overall atheleticism trumps one characteristic. Smith may be just as good at either position but from what I've read he would be a terrific OLB. Eli is a bit of a project coming into the NFL but has a tremendous first step and quickness. Smith has that AND great strength. Different guys, but both may be excellent next year. With Brooks possibly leaving, as some project, the team needs a dynamic OLB. Smith is as close to that as there is in the draft.

If Boone can't get LT money with all the OLs around the NFL falling on their faces I'll be surprised. If he can't play LT why did the niners move him to LG so he could slide to LT if the need arose?

I don't know how to view Thomas and the OL in general unless the shift to ZBS completely eliminates the possitives of Thomas, Tiller, and Silberman. Now Tiller is playing so...

Either they go back to power OL next year or there will be a major shift bringing in FAs and draftees.

Edit: Harold supplanted Lemonier this year and next year Lemonier is likely gone.

Relax would you like me to call you dtg_9er? I'm assuming that's not your name either...I meant not disrespect calling you dude.

Yup we will disagree on Smith playing OLB. He has 1 sack this season and 4.5 in his career those aren't OLB numbers. IMO he would get swallowed by NFL OTs and he's best suited as a 3-down LB that can stuff the run and cover side line to side line...we need one of those bad so I'm cool with the pick.

No way Boone get's 8+ million to be a LT when he's play OG his whole career. He might get a shot at LT somewhere but not for LT starting money. he's currently having one of his worst seasons in run blocking and Tiller is actually playing better.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM ]
Relax would you like me to call you dtg_9er? I'm assuming that's not your name either...I meant not disrespect calling you dude.

Yup we will disagree on Smith playing OLB. He has 1 sack this season and 4.5 in his career those aren't OLB numbers. IMO he would get swallowed by NFL OTs and he's best suited as a 3-down LB that can stuff the run and cover side line to side line...we need one of those bad so I'm cool with the pick.

No way Boone get's 8+ million to be a LT when he's play OG his whole career. He might get a shot at LT somewhere but not for LT starting money. he's currently having one of his worst seasons in run blocking and Tiller is actually playing better.

Dan would be fine or just no address of name. All variations of my actual name were taken when I signed up so my initials had to do. I've always found dude to be dismissive...maybe my issue, so not a problem.

Whatever Boone's value elsewhere (I try not to spend other peoples money with any certainty) I'm hoping he goes if they can replace him. He's held out and isn't suited for zone blocking in my opinion. If they go back to a power scheme I hope they keep him at OG. My sense is that teams will be poaching players from the niners with the idea they will get a deal on undercoached talent, and Boone is among the top FA OT prospects in my opinion. About half the teams in the NFL will be looking to upgrade their lines. Last year he would have had a better shot at LT money, admittedly, but some team will over pay for what he's worth.

The whole Devey/Tiller/Thomas debate is mind boggling. And what's worse is there is no way to know who was making what decisions. My hunch is that Foerster was trying to convert the OL to zone in one year and Devey was quicker than Tiller so.... Thomas is more baffling...is he not a ZBS talent? Or is he still recovering? If so, they should have kept him on IR.

I would like to see Brown, Silberman and Thomas playing the final two games so we have an idea what they offer going forward to next year. Right now it appears we need to find at least six linemen, with Staley and Kilgore being the only starters returning. Martin may develop next year but he is a disappointment and they can't wait too much longer for him to grow up. Just 22 so he is still young. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see the OL play Staley/Martin/Kilgore/Thomas/Brown with Silberman subbing in at OG.

Dan would be fine or just no address of name. All variations of my actual name were taken when I signed up so my initials had to do. I've always found dude to be dismissive...maybe my issue, so not a problem.

Whatever Boone's value elsewhere (I try not to spend other peoples money with any certainty) I'm hoping he goes if they can replace him. He's held out and isn't suited for zone blocking in my opinion. If they go back to a power scheme I hope they keep him at OG. My sense is that teams will be poaching players from the niners with the idea they will get a deal on undercoached talent, and Boone is among the top FA OT prospects in my opinion. About half the teams in the NFL will be looking to upgrade their lines. Last year he would have had a better shot at LT money, admittedly, but some team will over pay for what he's worth.

The whole Devey/Tiller/Thomas debate is mind boggling. And what's worse is there is no way to know who was making what decisions. My hunch is that Foerster was trying to convert the OL to zone in one year and Devey was quicker than Tiller so.... Thomas is more baffling...is he not a ZBS talent? Or is he still recovering? If so, they should have kept him on IR.

I would like to see Brown, Silberman and Thomas playing the final two games so we have an idea what they offer going forward to next year. Right now it appears we need to find at least six linemen, with Staley and Kilgore being the only starters returning. Martin may develop next year but he is a disappointment and they can't wait too much longer for him to grow up. Just 22 so he is still young. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see the OL play Staley/Martin/Kilgore/Thomas/Brown with Silberman subbing in at OG.

Dan it is it will be interesting to see what kind of cash Boone get's in FA for sure.

Yeah Foerster needs to hit the road he was bad before why bring him back? I was kinda excited to see some ZBS but we just don't have the personal to do it.

As far as Thomas... I thought they ran some sort of ZB in Clemson could be wrong?

Here's Thomas strengths coming out of the draft:

Good size with very long arms and big hands. Quick out of his stance. Knee bender with good balance and body control. Solid base. Places his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Strong-handed puncher with good grip strength once he latches on. Athletic, efficient mover. Light on his feet to step to the second level or pull. Can maneuver and throw his hips in the hole. Climbs to the second level. Three-year starter who played tackle (two-time first-team All-ACC at LT). Held his own against Jadeveon Clowney without help.

Sounds like a fit to me? He's best fit is at LG or LT in the pros and I thought he was fine in preseason I'm baffled as to why he's not getting playing time or even active on game days...I can't stand this coaching staff.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM ]
Dan it is it will be interesting to see what kind of cash Boone get's in FA for sure.

Yeah Foerster needs to hit the road he was bad before why bring him back? I was kinda excited to see some ZBS but we just don't have the personal to do it.

As far as Thomas... I thought they ran some sort of ZB in Clemson could be wrong?

Here's Thomas strengths coming out of the draft:

Good size with very long arms and big hands. Quick out of his stance. Knee bender with good balance and body control. Solid base. Places his hands inside and can pop and recoil. Strong-handed puncher with good grip strength once he latches on. Athletic, efficient mover. Light on his feet to step to the second level or pull. Can maneuver and throw his hips in the hole. Climbs to the second level. Three-year starter who played tackle (two-time first-team All-ACC at LT). Held his own against Jadeveon Clowney without help.

Sounds like a fit to me? He's best fit is at LG or LT in the pros and I thought he was fine in preseason I'm baffled as to why he's not getting playing time or even active on game days...I can't stand this coaching staff.

Phoenix posted the grades for our OL from PFF and Thomas, Tiller and Brown did well...so perhaps the coaching staff was being overly cautious or they had their heads up their...anyway, if they continue to grade well then the OL may have some pieces going into next year.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 21, 2015 at 3:53 PM ]
Like the first three rounds, do not like the QB-pick on late third day. Useless, imho because QBs from day three don't do much in general.
Although not a glaring need, a d-liner on day two would be awesome.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I'm not likely going to know too much about specific prospects that don't play for Miss State and LSU this season.

Still, I can say I like your attention to the OL and pass rusher early. I also worry about our QB situation from this. Yes, they HAVE to rework Kaep's contract if he is to stay.. but I am just as content watching him leave. I just don't think he will ever become more than a flash or fail, love or hate QB at this point.

Good effort put into this.

Another great smiley to steal! Thanks!
Originally posted by communist:
Like the first three rounds, do not like the QB-pick on late third day. Useless, imho because QBs from day three don't do much in general.
Although not a glaring need, a d-liner on day two would be awesome.

I almost took two late round QBs--one who was athletic and perhaps not well coached and the other a no mistakes, less talented guy. But when it came down to it I believe they are likely to trade up in the first round if they decide to take a QB.

A great backup QB should be stable and and limit mistakes.
Share 49ersWebzone