There are 287 users in the forums

Do we keep our top pick or trade down?

Do we keep our top pick or trade down?

Depends on whos there.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Assess the board and what we are offered. No way to answer till we see the landscape when we're on the clock.

This, of course. Hey, come play R6S. Fro, Va, and I need another non-mouth breather to assault with.
Paxton Lynch = 2016 bust.
Guaranteed
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Considering Top 5, I see these guys as the guys I would want the most.

Joey Bosa
Robert Nkemdiche
Jaylon Smith
Laremy Tunsil
Ronnie Stanley

So if we're top 5, then we take whoever is left of these guys, I think all 5 are All Pro's in the NFL.

If we trade down, then these are who I would look at, of course I wouldn't go beyond pick 10 if trading down.

Laquon Treadwell
Vernon Hargreaves III
Jalen Ramsey
Tyler Boyd
Jared Goff

Good post!

Any one of those guys would be a major asset and an immediate starter who could actually play.

Trent's trading down for more picks would be a very bad fit this year.

We need to get a big-time player w/the 1st pick.

I think Bosa goes #1.

i'm hoping for Tunsil or Nkemdiche

Good posts!

The niners need impact players, where ever they can be found. My preference would be for the niners to keep their first and trade up with all their other picks to try and end up with six picks in the first three rounds. If that included trading a player or two...fine.

If they trade down it would be with the assumption they get the same value at the lower pick, 15?, than they would get at five. Since the draft is a crap shoot at times I wouldn't doubt that is possible. Baalke is best at evaluating defensive players so if they are going DB (Ramsey vs Hargreaves) or LB (Smith vs Ragland) he would be able to make that pick. Not sure you need to draft a ZBS OT high in the first...so if they go OL they could trade back for a smart superior athlete who could be developed quickly.

But if any of the top five or so fall and Baalke rates them as can't miss impact players...jump!

my apprehension is he won't.
Baalke has traded up and down..so we really dont know what his inclination might be. The one thing consistent with the guy is his abilty to fill most immediate needs through free agency.

Players I would take with a top five draft pick:
  • Bosa, DE--best player in draft?
  • Goff, QB--like what I read about pocket presence and overall development

Or trade down between 10 and 15 for:
  • J Smith, LB--inside or outside playmaker...tweener?
  • Hargreaves, CB--would hate to fill a lesser need but...?
  • Buckner, DE--bookend with Armstead for ten years
  • Treadwell, WR--best WR in the draft to pair with T Smith
  • Nkemdiche, DT--solidify the DL for years to come. If they lose Williams...?
  • Ogbah, DE--is he better than Buckner?
  • Ragland, ILB--give Bowman a trainee that may be pro bowl level?

If the niners wind up with the 4th or 5th pick what might they pick up trading down to 10-15? A second? Lots of good athletes in the second.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 31, 2015 at 4:49 PM ]
Baalke is too stupid to see the second coming of Jerry Rice or Joe Montana....he'll probably draft punter thats down with acl injury for the year.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
Baalke is too stupid to see the second coming of Jerry Rice or Joe Montana....he'll probably draft punter thats down with acl injury for the year.

Jerry Rice went 16th overall and Joe Montana went in the third round. You don't need a top five pick to get these guys. Rice had 4.70 speed and Montana had a weak arm. That shows the value, or lack thereof, of drafting for braun. (See Kaepernick!).
[ Edited by BOI49er on Dec 31, 2015 at 5:00 PM ]
I say it depends on who is left, and what kind of offers teams are throwing at us for our draft pick. I agree that we have too many draft picks this year, and I'd like to see Baalke kind of move his way up and down through the draft, to get the players we need when good value is there, and yet still be able to acquire future draft choices in the process. I would like to see Kaepernick traded prior to the draft, and hopefully we take a QB some where in round 3-5 who projects well, but eeds some grooming. I'm not for taking a QB in the 1st, unless it is at the end of the 1st, and it's someone who has slid down for one reason or another. I don't want to take a QB early in the 1st, I don't see one that warrants that for us.
Baalke has traded up and down..so we really dont know what his inclination might be. The one thing consistent with the guy is his abilty to fill most immediate needs through free agency.

If the niners wind up with the 4th or 5th pick what might they pick up trading down to 10-15? A second? Lots of good athletes in the second.

Solid list - I'd throw Tunsil in there as a guy I'm interested in at 5 and Stanley and Jack as guys I'd be interested in if they slide to 10-15 (plus the other top guys I don't expect to be there - Lynch and Ramsey).
I would not trade up in this draft
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Solid list - I'd throw Tunsil in there as a guy I'm interested in at 5 and Stanley and Jack as guys I'd be interested in if they slide to 10-15 (plus the other top guys I don't expect to be there - Lynch and Ramsey).

Originally posted by ninerfreak:

Idk. I think Baalke does identify guys with good skill sets. Even his biggest failures had NFL level talent. The problem is assessing the intangibles and other factors. Heart, health, desire to compete, or the coaching staff's ability to correct faults and use said players properly.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Paxton Lynch = 2016 bust.
Guaranteed

What about 2017 when he's actually ready to play?
I now see the Niners trading back 5 or so picks and targeting Ogbah, Stanley, Jack or Buckner (unless Goff is available).
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 1, 2016 at 5:52 PM ]
I really hope we trade back into the teens. There's great value there. There's always Pro Bowl talent hanging around.
Share 49ersWebzone