There are 290 users in the forums

Do we keep our top pick or trade down?

Do we keep our top pick or trade down?

Originally posted by strickac:
There's a lot of talented players in the top 50. Those are guys you can build around. Granted, the stars are usually found in the top 20.

I've got no problem dropping back into the 15-20 range and grabbing the BPA. We can use that 2nd pick to do the same thing and grab a player that surprisingly fell out of the first.

In this draft, the stars may all go in the top 8. There's always different tiers of players. When the Bills traded up for Sammy Watkins in 2014, it was thought that there were 4 elite players in that draft class (Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins). The Raiders lucked out and got Mack at 5 because the Jags took Bortles. In my opinion, we won't find the same caliber of player at 15 as we will at 5 or 8 this year.
trading down would be a typical baalke move. need a top 5/10 impact guy and we don't have to trade up for it this year.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by strickac:
There's a lot of talented players in the top 50. Those are guys you can build around. Granted, the stars are usually found in the top 20.

I've got no problem dropping back into the 15-20 range and grabbing the BPA. We can use that 2nd pick to do the same thing and grab a player that surprisingly fell out of the first.

In this draft, the stars may all go in the top 8. There's always different tiers of players. When the Bills traded up for Sammy Watkins in 2014, it was thought that there were 4 elite players in that draft class (Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins). The Raiders lucked out and got Mack at 5 because the Jags took Bortles. In my opinion, we won't find the same caliber of player at 15 as we will at 5 or 8 this year.

Exactly my point... Also in the top 20:

Mike Evans
Ryan Shazier
Aaron McDonald
Zachary Martin
OBJ

Plus: Justin Gilbert, Brandon Cooks, CJ Mosley, Ebron, Barr...
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Elite is subjective. There's nothing saying Stanley (pick your player) isn't going to be the next Robinson, Joeckel, or Jason Smith. Robinson was the elite, "sure thing", plug-and-play OT. He's no different than any other rookie.
[ Edited by strickac on Dec 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM ]
Don't we have about 14 picks in the upcoming draft? How many rookies can we possibly afford to keep on next years team?

Keep in mind that every rookie will need time to develop. I think we should keep the pick and draft somebody worthy of a top five pick.

We already have a bunch of mid-level talent, we need elite players now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Keep the pick. Quality over quantity.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 28, 2015 at 10:27 AM ]
Keep it
We need a game changer
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
trading down would be a typical baalke move. need a top 5/10 impact guy and we don't have to trade up for it this year.

I hope we keep the pick. But say, we end up with the 3rd overall pick, which really is the best case scenario and a team comes along offering a trade like the Rams deal with Washington. You still have a top 10 pick and first round picks the next two seasons and a second round pick. It's not likely to happen, but let's say it does. You'd pass on it?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I hope we keep the pick. But say, we end up with the 3rd overall pick, which really is the best case scenario and a team comes along offering a trade like the Rams deal with Washington. You still have a top 10 pick and first round picks the next two seasons and a second round pick. It's not likely to happen, but let's say it does. You'd pass on it?

With Baalke making the picks, yes just keep our pick to keep from being embarrassed!
We have starter envy this yr and we need 5 starters, finessing QB for the moment. We need 3 starting OLs, (C, RG RT), and with luck buy Mack or Pouncey, and a starter OG.
That means we have to ahve the one best OT out there. And there are more than a couple, which is good news. We NEED the best. Same goes for DT,...have to have a starter, and same for OLB passrusher...have to have a starter. IF we pick at #5 we should get our OT.

QB...hope and pray gab can bridge QB us thru 2016, then get our QB in 2017 after OL is fixed and is a good one. UDFAs....bring 10-15 of the best UDFA Qbs into camp and see if we stumble on a gem. We don't have to keep any....but try the top 15 out and see what's what.

First and foremost fix our huge holes. We need to trade up for another rd 1 pick to get either starting DT or OLB passrusher. If one or the other is still there in rd 1, we should trade up a slug of our picks for a second in rd 1. Will baalke do this.....doubtful . It goes against everything he has done to date.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
We have starter envy this yr and we need 5 starters, finessing QB for the moment. We need 3 starting OLs, (C, RG RT), and with luck buy Mack or Pouncey, and a starter OG.
That means we have to ahve the one best OT out there. And there are more than a couple, which is good news. We NEED the best. Same goes for DT,...have to have a starter, and same for OLB passrusher...have to have a starter. IF we pick at #5 we should get our OT.

QB...hope and pray gab can bridge QB us thru 2016, then get our QB in 2017 after OL is fixed and is a good one. UDFAs....bring 10-15 of the best UDFA Qbs into camp and see if we stumble on a gem. We don't have to keep any....but try the top 15 out and see what's what.

First and foremost fix our huge holes. We need to trade up for another rd 1 pick to get either starting DT or OLB passrusher. If one or the other is still there in rd 1, we should trade up a slug of our picks for a second in rd 1. Will baalke do this.....doubtful . It goes against everything he has done to date.

We don't need a C, G and T. We have Staley, Tiller, Kilgore and Brown. If AD and Boone come back we already have a solid line so there's no need for 3 OL starters(maybe 1 or 2 but not 3).

We probably can't bring the top 15 UDFA. If they have another offer they can decide to go with the other team so I don't see 15 guys wanting to come here.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Keep it. This team needs stars. Depth won't help this team. They don't even have front line stars.

This
If we are going to pick into the top 5 I'm against trading down because IMO the only reason to trade down is because you think that nobody is worth of your pick or no one fits your team but I think that are at least 6 players worth a #5 overral pick and that we have needs in the position(Smith, Bosa, Goff, Tunsil, Stanley and Buckner).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I say keep the pick, but if someone is stupid enough to offer that sort of deal you take it, trying to keep a straight face.
Assess the board and what we are offered. No way to answer till we see the landscape when we're on the clock.
Share 49ersWebzone