LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Do we keep our top pick or trade down?

Do we keep our top pick or trade down?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If we are in the top 5, the only way I even entertain a trade down is if someone offers us an RG3 type of trade. We essentially keep a top 10 pick, and have extra first rounders for the next two seasons. There may have been some other picks involved in that trade, but I would want some serious draft capital to trade out of missing on those top 5 guys. One of the things I worried about during our run from 2011-2013 was that we would never have a shot at the elite talent for a few years because we were drafting at the end of the first. Aside from the home run drafts Baalke put together in 2010 and 2011, our team was built off of guys that were mostly taken near the top of their respective round or from trades into the first when tremendous value presented itself (Joe Staley).

lets hope we lose out an have only the titans, chargers an ravens picking before us. we need an impact player but we might be able to get one in picks 5-10 so if we have pick #4 or #5 it would be very beneficial to trade back just a couple spots if we could get more 1st or 2nd rd picks. the days of stockpiling 4-7th rounders to draft practice squadders who are the team for half an offseason NEEDS to be over. whoever it is baalke or marathe who has been trying that method needs to either stop it or be canned. we need players that can make a big impact now.
super hard to predict. if they want a new QB they probably stay (if we stay at no5) and pick their guy. if they want to bridge with gabbert or even kaep (at reduced salary) everything is possible. anchor at Dline, new OT for the future or trade back and try to close more gaps with more picks.
Originally posted by GreatGabbert:
Statistical analysis shows that you get much better bang for your draft dollar later in the first round through to the middle of the third. It's fairly significant difference as well. So, absolutely trade back the to second half of round one, and add a second, third, and possibly a pick from next year's draft.

Outdated rhetoric. Nice try though, Trent.
If they can get Tunsil, I'd stand pat. I figure Baalke (or whomever's the GM) will go into the draft with at least a dozen picks. The biggest single need is the OL...if they don't offer Boone a reasonably lucrative extention, Kilgore and Staley will be the lone vets left. Joe's shown some fairly serious signs of wear, so drafting a couple of stud OT's is a must. If some team's willing to trade several picks for our #5 or whatever our pick is, then why not.
If you have a top 5 pick and have as many holes as we do....you grab the best f'n player there is left
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
IMO Goff is a better prospect with higher floor and ceiling. And Lynch is probably going to be a Brown anyway.

hes mot even a better prospect than gabbert lol. gabbert had a higher ceiling and floor than goff coming out... just saying. id rather just leave a qb in the first alone. get one later have him sit behind gabbert for a year. that gives gabbert a real chance to show his worth, and a guy to learn for once. no one can say what gabbert really has. he looked pretty good until last week. And last week with 9 sacks, and his last team i dont know if any qb ever could have succeeded in those situations. id trade back a few
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 17, 2015 at 1:56 PM ]
We have plenty of picks and cap space for some interesting FA activity. Not keen to trade down at all.
Originally posted by fan49:
hes mot even a better prospect than gabbert lol. gabbert had a higher ceiling and floor than goff coming out... just saying. id rather just leave a qb in the first alone. get one later have him sit behind gabbert for a year. that gives gabbert a real chance to show his worth, and a guy to learn for once. no one can say what gabbert really has. he looked pretty good until last week. And last week with 9 sacks, and his last team i dont know if any qb ever could have succeeded in those situations. id trade back a few

thats not true at all

i was very agaionst gabbert coming out he had like 14 TD in a spread offense and never understood the hype abou thim but he was considered a safe prospect not many people said he had a high ceiling
  • fan49
  • Veteran
if we trade down a few spots and get treadwell, and 2nd and a 3rd... that would be huge, treadwell could be the next elite guy like brown or odb. only works out if we get an olineman in FA, and davis back. I believe gabbert will be a solid qb. but we can get a guy in second or 3rd. with the extra pick in both rounds. way better than just goff imo... do the math goff plus and 1 pick in 2nd and 3rd , or treadwell plus 2 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd. Which sounds better?????
[ Edited by fan49 on Dec 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
if Ramsey is there, I think we should take him ... then keep Baalke from trading down and down in order to get more picks for years to come because the guy just can't pick players..

what's the used of having extra picks if all your picks are "projects".. .i say we get aggresive and start building for the future instead of saving picks for the future..

Outside the "Magnificent Seven" listed on almost everyones board, I really like the DT from UCLA a LOT !!!

Depends on who they like. If they love Goff, then keep the pick. If they love Wentz, then trade down and pick Wentz later
Originally posted by 9moon:
if Ramsey is there, I think we should take him ... then keep Baalke from trading down and down in order to get more picks for years to come because the guy just can't pick players..

what's the used of having extra picks if all your picks are "projects".. .i say we get aggresive and start building for the future instead of saving picks for the future..

Outside the "Magnificent Seven" listed on almost everyones board, I really like the DT from UCLA a LOT !!!

Disagree big time! Baalke's strength is finding CBs in the later rounds.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Keep the pick. We need quality over quantity.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Keep it.
Normally I would say trade but this draft just isn't that deep after the first 3 rounds and that's even pushing it
Share 49ersWebzone