LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

Who would you want as a first round pick if it came down to these 3 players and why:

Who would you want as a first round pick if it came down to these 3 players and why:

• Homer
  • Veteran
Goff by a mile

1.) I write off Smith because Baalke has hit 2 home runs with 3rd round LB's. I know Borland retired, but this is the one and only position where I have complete utter confidence in Trent. Just not a fan of the value.

2.) I just don't trust our ability to get the best out of Treadwell. It's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot. He's a beast and I love him. If Trent thinks he can be a top 5 NFL WR, I wouldn't be too upset. A smaller reason is there seems to be a deeper talent pool at WR every year.

3.) Goff is a QB I like, and at the most critical position which is also a position of need. Let Blaine start next year, and if he keeps progressing maybe we'll have a Brees situation. If not, we have a 1st round QB with a year to get his mind and body right. I'm not sure who to compare him to, some of you guys said Rodgers or Ryan. I'm a cal fan and not sure I see that. Could be the air raid. My friend (who posts on here sometimes) compared him to Eli, and I think that's my favorite I've heard so far. Solid athlete that bombs away.

If we couldn't get our hands on Goff or another franchise QB, I'd prefer a pass rusher. We've invested a lot in the secondary and we need someone besides Lynch to get pressure.
I want a DE, OT in round one. Round two I would open up to a QB, WR. Round three I would look at all of the above plus guards and MLBs.

I have hope for Tiller, Thomas and Brown to possibly replace devey and pears. I am hoping kilgore takes martin's playing time away. At this point, my biggest need area is WR then QB. Before I draft a WR or a QB I would draft on defense too.
Know he wasn't an option but think I'll stick with that Ronnie Stanley pick.
Option 4, trade all of our pick for Kalil Mack
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i would like jaylon smith. But the only thing that could effect this is how Hodges playes. If Hodges plays lights out, ILB wont be an immediate need. PLus if we keep winning i dont think he will be available to us, especially after he blows it up at the combine.

Goff is hard to predict. He seems have a short ceiling. Hasnt really impressed and has big bust potential.

Treadwell is someone i do not know much about but we will never utilize WRs to their max potential.

The verdict...Jaylon Smith. But would rather go O-line or pass rusher

This
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I've seen Goff a plenty, and at times, I don't see how he's any much better than the USC QB..

Solid late 2nd and early 3rd in my Ranking, for both of them.. If we can't protect Gabby with this line, how good will Goff be as a rookie while learning the playbook and how to read defenses??

Both Lynch and Goff, I'm not sure, I just don't see that IT from both of them..
None of the above. I want Elliot or Bosa.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Jaylon, he can bring back Aldrunk Smith's pass rushing ability and is a better all around OLB..

You high man ? As a ND fan, I have watched every game the kid played and Jaylon is not a pass rusher like Aldon. Could he play situationally as an OLB in a 3-4 ? Probably, but his best fit in a 3-4 scheme is inside. And he can stay on the field in nickel as the WLB with Bow in the middle.
Jaylon out of those 3.
#1 the main culprit of our current joke of a team is our coaching staff so unless we get new coaches and figure out who did our good drafts it wont matter who we get this year.
#2 i think we need to focus mostly personnel moves on defense for now after we fix the OL, our offense besides the OL has players in place to be good enough once we get coaches in here. the OL can be fixed with 1 or 2 moves depending if that child anthony davis comes back. our D requires more attention right now.
#3 we need the biggest impact we can get on D so i say go for the best pass rusher available, i wanted bosa but i think we threw that chance out the window with POINTLESS wins against atlanta an chicago. we need someone who will disrupt offenses and as much as i love the potential of who we have at DL right now through all of preseason an regular season this year thats all theyve been is potential,besides lynch none of those guys have done s**t this year its like theyve had the life sucked out of them.
#4 if their isnt a worthy pass rusher available after bosa i say get the LB jaylon smith an we could possibly have a great ILB combo again
#5 stop with the joke of picking a WR with our first. we already have WRs and we arent even a big passing offense!!! do i need to mention we picked up torrey smith. do i need to mention who our last first rd WR is???
#6 none of these QBs coming out are worthy of high first rd picks. blaine is doing fine as a placeholder for the next year or 2

• dj43
The two most obvious needs are:

- a future franchise quarterback,

- a disruptive front line defender.

When our turn comes we must be able to discern which is the most likely. All things being equal, you always choose the quarterback. However, as we learned when Aldon Smith was playing well, the defender that can change what the quarterback can do makes everyone else on the defense better.

Goff = 1a, Smith = 1b

My dilemma is that I am not convinced one way or the other that Gabbert cannot be the guy we need. Having come in during the middle of the season with a disheveled team around him and a 3rd rate coaching staff directing the show, he has done much better than I expected. So, I want to lean to the defender. A top tier defender is historically a safer choice.

Let's hope we don't have this draft position again....ever.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 15, 2015 at 8:47 AM ]
Goff. It is never a bad thing to have a great NFL QB. You roll the dice if you think someone will turn out to be a great NFL QB. There's also brownie points for picking the hometown kid.

Smith would be nice, though Baalke's found LBs outside the first round before.

Treadwell would also be nice, but a bit of a luxury with Baalke's rock-em-sock-em big uglies style.
It has to be Jared Goff. We've had two all-pro MLBs before and it didn't win us a Superbowl. Notice that teams that always seem to be in it are usually built around a great QB. A franchise QB may not always win the Superbowl, but they keep your team in the discussion. Why do you think you always see Rogers, Brady, and Manning in the playoffs? Our 5 Superbowls came on the backs of franchise QBs. Having two great MLBs didn't win us a Superbowl, and teams like Detroit haven't won with Megatron. We need to try our best to find that franchise guy. I respect what Gabbert has done, but he isn't going to take us to the Superbowl if we draft Treadwell or Smith. Goff would be the smart choice, let him sit and learn. We have to think long term now because we are not going to be in the hunt for a few years now.
[ Edited by daragon on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by daragon:
It has to be Jared Goff. We've had two all-pro MLBs before and it didn't win us a Superbowl. Notice that teams that always seem to be in it are usually built around a great QB. A franchise QB may not always win the Superbowl, but they keep your team in the discussion. Why do you think you always see Rogers, Brady, and Manning in the playoffs? Our 5 Superbowls came on the backs of franchise QBs. Having two great MLBs didn't win us a Superbowl, and teams like Detroit haven't won with Megatron. We need to try our best to find that franchise guy. I respect what Gabbert has done, but he isn't going to take us to the Superbowl if we draft Treadwell or Smith. Goff would be the smart choise, let him sit and learn. We have to think long term now because we are not going to be in the hunt for a few years now.

This. Well said!!
Jaylon Smith. No QB will succeed behind this o-line, and the lack of any offensive weapons hurts too. Meanwhile, Bowman does not appear to be the same player he was before his injury. And I'm not really high on Treadwell. I'd rather have one of the Ohio State wide receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone