LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Who would you want as a first round pick if it came down to these 3 players and why:

Who would you want as a first round pick if it came down to these 3 players and why:

Originally posted by Rascal:
Jared Goff and is not even close :

1) The need is there, Kap will be cut and we no longer have a franchise QB going forward. In this league, you need a legit QB to win.

2) We have the pick to take a top QB prospect, in other words we won't need to just settle for some 2nd or 3rd rounders.

3) While we have the pick in this coming draft, we won't come 2017 as common sense says the team should be doing at least marginally better in 2016, thus won't be drafting high enough to land a proper top QB talent.

4) If you don't draft Goff, what if Gabbert can only take us up to the middle of the pack and can't go any further? At that point, you won't have anyone with potential waiting in the wings. And if they only decide to draft a QB in 2017, as mentioned they won't be drafting high enough plus you will still need sit the rookie behind a vet ideally and that is yet another year wasted.

What if Gabbert can only take us up in the middle of the pack and can't go any further? What if Goff is a bust? Too many what if's.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'd take the qb if there is a good chance he could be the man and he doesn't have any limitations as far as smarts, arm and leadership. If he is lacking in any of those things I'd take the best player regardless of position.
Originally posted by susweel:
I'd take the qb if there is a good chance he could be the man and he doesn't have any limitations as far as smarts, arm and leadership. If he is lacking in any of those things I'd take the best player regardless of position.

For the first I agree with you dude.

1) The need is there, Kap will be cut and we no longer have a franchise QB going forward. In this league, you need a legit QB to win.

2) We have the pick to take a top QB prospect, in other words we won't need to just settle for some 2nd or 3rd rounders.

3) While we have the pick in this coming draft, we won't come 2017 as common sense says the team should be doing at least marginally better in 2016, thus won't be drafting high enough to land a proper top QB talent.

4) If you don't draft Goff, what if Gabbert can only take us up to the middle of the pack and can't go any further? At that point, you won't have anyone with potential waiting in the wings. And if they only decide to draft a QB in 2017, as mentioned they won't be drafting high enough plus you will still need sit the rookie behind a vet ideally and that is yet another year wasted.

This is my dilemma as well.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:
What if Gabbert can only take us up in the middle of the pack and can't go any further? What if Goff is a bust? Too many what if's.

No. Is even more speculative to say Gabbert is the man just after 4 games.

If you are the FO, you have to have the scenarios covered.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Who compares Goff to Flacco? They arent all that similar other than maybe height.
Never heard of this writer but this is where I read it:
http://www.classicalite.com/articles/32366/20151129/current-nfl-comparisons-top-5-quarterback-prospects-2016-draft.htm
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:

It shouldn't even be a dilemma. The choice is obvious, is common sense.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:

It shouldn't even be a dilemma. The choice is obvious, is common sense.
Sorry I didn't provide much context, I meant it's my dilemma because my mind says Goff (for the reasons you stated) but my gut says Smith.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Dec 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM ]
Goff

But I'd rather have Cook.
I like Goff. However if all three are there at our pick which I doubt both Smith and Goff are there I would go with Smith. He could do wonders on Day 1. Treadwell is not bad at all but his Injury a year ago scares me a bit. I'd rather take a decent QB later and let him hold a clipboard for a year and learn. Less pressure in doing that with a 2nd rounder on then a top 10 QB.
If we win 3 out of our last 4 games they will all be gone when we pick most likely.

I want BPA. We have so many holes. Of these players, my pick would be Jaylon Smith. We need to add another stud to our front 7.

Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss should be added to the list. He'd probably be my next pick of Jaylon Smith is gone.
Ronnie Stanley (not a sexy pick I know)
[ Edited by UKNiner on Dec 12, 2015 at 5:59 PM ]
If Goff enters the draft he would've gone before we picked.
Trade back, then take Derrick Henry, Scooby Wright, and Jack Conklin. In no particular order. Those guys are the goods.
After watching Gabbert get pummeled today, my vote is for oline in both FA and draft picks. They got a preview of life without Boone today. It wasn't pretty before and it was a train wreck after.
Share 49ersWebzone